Chiropractors...who goes to them and what method is it?

Ponytail

I need to find a chiropractor...soon. I just need to find one that uses similar methods as mine...and I don't know what the heck it's called.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ponytail
I need to find a chiropractor...soon. I just need to find one that uses similar methods as mine...and I don't know what the heck it's called.
Health South, with Dr. Doyle is who I have used. Not sure of the method but had electro-stimulation and manipulation treatments that worked wonders on me. The even fixed a sinus problem I had been having for years.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Total Health Chiropractic
Charles Judge, DC
11813 Park Waldorf Lane
Waldorf, MD

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Hey Sxy...

Originally posted by kwillia
Henry Chiropractors in California, MD on your way home... they worked wonders on someone I know who had a MAJOR auto accident. They have a variety of methods they use. The person I know had to work his way through several methods as he progressed.
:yeahthat: I too have gone to Henry Chriopractic for years, even when the Henry's were still there, but now see Dr. Hester. He is great. They also offer an exercise room for therapy, the electro treatments and massage therapy. As a matter of fact, I'll be having a massage tomorrow.

Ponytail

Re: Re: Chiropractors...who goes to them and what method is it?

Originally posted by Ken King
Health South, with Dr. Doyle is who I have used. Not sure of the method but had electro-stimulation and manipulation treatments that worked wonders on me. The even fixed a sinus problem I had been having for years.

Sounds like what I had...did they use a little spring loaded tool to pop the vertebrae back in line?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Re: Re: Chiropractors...who goes to them and what method is it?

Ken - how do they fix a sinus problem? I assume they work the neck somehow??

Ponytail

Re: Re: Re: Chiropractors...who goes to them and what method is it?

Originally posted by Oz

slight vertebrae adjustment right between your lower shoulder blades. Workes for me too.

Ken King

PREMO Member

Sounds like what I had...did they use a little spring loaded tool to pop the vertebrae back in line?
yep, a little hand held tool used on the neck. They also have that roller bed, that thing rocks for loosening you up.

Ken King

PREMO Member

Originally posted by Oz
It was an adjustment in the middle of the shoulder blades like PT said. I had suffered with massive sinus problems for about thirty years (waking up and sneezing the first 30 minutes of the day). I haven't had the problem for over six years now. It's amazing what an out of aligned back can do to the rest of your body.

J

justhangn

Room to Move

What is it about chiropractic care that makes it so effective?
Patients swear by the spinal adjustments they receive from their
chiropractor, but often don't know how the manipulation is helping,
other than a general knowledge that their backs have been
"cracked."

Adhesions in the hinge joints of the vertebrae, called the facet
joints, may be one reason for back pain. Adhesions, or joints being
improperly stuck together, can be caused by reduced mobility from
injury or inactivity. Chiropractic spinal manipulation
theoretically separates the facet joints and increases the space
between them, breaking adhesions and restoring motion. One of the
most common spinal adjustments performed by chiropractors - the
side-posture adjustment - involves positioning a patient on his or
her side, then rotating the upper body using the shoulder and hip
as levers. From here, an adjustment is made with a slight twisting
of the spine.

In a study in the journal Spine, 64 men and women ages 22-30
without back pain were divided into four groups for varying
treatment interventions, involving placing patients in side-posture
position only (without performing an adjustment), providing actual
side-posture spinal adjusting, or leaving patients in a neutral
position. MRI scans were taken before and after interventions, in
side-posture position or with people lying on their backs, and
compared for each individual.

People given side-posture adjustments followed by MRI in
side-posture position showed the greatest separation in the facet
joints. Those in side-posture position alone, without adjustments,
showed the second-greatest separation before and during MRI.
Side-posture adjusting clearly created greater separation than no
adjustments. The average difference in separation between neutral
group subjects' facet joints and the group receiving side-posture
adjustments was only a few millimeters, but the authors called this
amount "not only significant," but also "clinically relevant."

S

ShadowBox

I have been wanting to find a good one also. I hurt my back a week ago and its not getting better. I was talking with a friend of mine that got a free consult, and she said that her doctor realigned her hips and everything.

The one thing I dont think I can relax enough with is the neck. That is one thing that scares me to death.

Ponytail

shadowbox...me too. I have been going to a chiropractor for 5 years...trying to avoid, or put off surgery for as long as possible.

My mom goes to one of those "crack-your-back" types described above, and that makes me very nervous. Doesn't seem to be much control in that.

The type that Ken and I go to is very controlled, very precise, and is not painful at all. No uncomfortable "cracks" either.

Since you just hurt your back, they may require you to go get x-rays.

My injury stems from a bad car wreck about 8 years ago...I walked away and thought I was fine. Little by little, problems in my back developed and got worse, till I literally woke up one morning, and could not get out of bed. At 26 years old, that is NOT a good feeling. Scary as hell, as a matter of fact.

Don't let it go if you injured back...even if it gets better. It may FEEL better, but normally your spine compensates for an injury...it doesn't heal itself. :wink:

Last edited:

BudoPo

My brother's a chiropractor, so I get freebee adjustments (although he always seems a bit too eager to crack my back :smile: )

I had a neck problem for a couple of days a few years ago (something I just woke up with). Driving to NY wasn't really an option, so I went to a local guy. Dr. Grimsley, I think, at Henry Chiropractic (again, if I recall correctly). He did a nice job. I'd recommend him.

The odd thing is that I commented that he's a lot less painful than my brother, yet my brother's patients love him. Dr. Grimsley said that it's because I'm related to my brother, so I tense up. His own family finds him a bit painful for the same reason. Go figure.

Yeah, the neck adjustment makes me nervous too, but a good exhale to help you relax helps (actually, you're supposed to exhale when they do the adjustment anyway).

Ken, that hand held device he used is an activator. Some doctors use it, others (like my brother) don't. It just preference, like drop tables (tables that drop down an inch very quickly when the adjustment is made). Both really just amplify the adjustment force.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mike Grimsley used to be hot hot hot! Someone go to him and tell me if he's still a stud!

Ken King

PREMO Member
shadowbox...me too. I have been going to a chiropractor for 5 years...trying to avoid, or put off surgery for as long as possible.

My mom goes to one of those "crack-your-back" types described above, and that makes me very nervous. Doesn't seem to be much control in that.

The type that Ken and I go to is very controlled, very precise, and is not painful at all. No uncomfortable "cracks" either.

Since you just hurt your back, they may require you to go get x-rays.

My injury stems from a bad car wreck about 8 years ago...I walked away and thought I was fine. Little by little, problems in my back developed and got worse, till I literally woke up one morning, and could not get out of bed. At 26 years old, that is NOT a good feeling. Scary as hell, as a matter of fact.

Don't let it go if you injured back...even if it gets better. It may FEEL better, but normally your spine compensates for an injury...it doesn't heal itself. :wink:
Crap, you're a youngster (26). I've been carrying back problems for almost that long. T7-9 crushed and fused; L4-5, S1 ruptured disks. I was told that I would probably be paralyzed by the time I hit 30. I got them beat by close to 20 years and I still get around pretty well, I don't play much ball anymore or try to lift cars (long stories both).

They use a variety of manipulation methods on me including the hip alignment, but the best is that cracking of the neck. I love it and when Doc Doyle hits me. Hell, it even improves my hearing. Trusting the Doc, that's the key to it. Once you're there they can do wonders.

Cheerios

Chiropractors -

I have been seeing them for over 30 years - my Godfather was an osteopathic Doctor - but as with Doctors, some help more then others - the crack is a release of gases as I was told - I have been in two bad accidents - one chiropractor specialized in cranial - headaches - I do not see any Doctor that can't advise me of things I can do on my own to help me - - a reserve physical therapist from a large hospital taught me things I could do with a bath towel - re: rolling it up for neck support at night -I have been using bed buddies formerly rice, now sometype of husk seeds I get the big neck one at the Centennial Skin care place (don't worry fella's my daughters fiance uses his all the time) - in La Plata - I like the large neck one as I can put it uunder my knee etc. - I don't like the flat ones as you get tied up just holding them in place - - I like Dr Winters at Healthsouth in White Plains - they finally did a traction adjustment that helped me more then anything else -

Ponytail

Crap, you're a youngster (26). ...

Also mentioned in my little story there, that was 5 years ago. I'm at the ripe old age of 31 now. ALmost 32!

Is it getting cold in here? What's that little light out there? It's drawng me closer!!! Must...resist.... NOOOOOooooooooooo

:biggrin:

but, me being a "youngster" with 5 arthritic vertebrae, torn ligaments and a common birth defect (I'll spare you the details) is rare and apparently not seen in someone my age. And beeing rear-ended twice in a year a year ago hasn't helped either.
All I know is I hate not being able to do things like play amateur league soccer any more (big risk of winding up paralyzed), and simple stuff like work my ### off doing home upgrades, painting...I used to walk up 40 ft ladders carrying a 5 gallon bucket of paint in each hand. I'm not supposed to do any of it, but it drives me crazy...I do it anyway, walk into the back whackers office and tell them to fix me.

you've been dealing with it longer than me, and seemingly worse. Doesn't it bother you not being able to do the things that were at one time normal to you??

I guess when it bothers me enough, I'll go and have the surgery done.

I'm long over due for a fix. I'm not sleeping well...at least, no matter how much sleep I get, I still wake up feeling exhausted. that is a BIG sign that my back is all out of whack again.

Last edited: