Chris Kyle killed at Texas Gun Range

RPMDAD

'American Sniper' author Chris Kyle fatally shot at Texas gun range

Chris Kyle, 38, and the other man were found dead at the shooting range of Rough Creek Lodge on Saturday afternoon, Texas Highway Patrol spokesman Lonny Haschel told KXAS.

Kyle, a Texas native who grew up hunting, served four tours in Iraq with Navy SEAL Team 3. His shooting during battles in Ramadi and Fallujah became legendary, and insurgents nicknamed him the "Devil of Ramadi" and put a bounty on his head.

'American Sniper' author Chris Kyle fatally shot at Texas gun range - U.S. News

ylexot

Super Genius
Of course this is sad news, but I also feel bad for the shooter (assuming it was the suspect they have identified). This was not some kid who snapped because his parents didn't love him enough or because of violent video games. This is someone who was mentally scarred while fulfilling his duties as a soldier. And for that reason, I hope he is treated with more respect and compassion than people like Adam Lanza.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Lost so many in the SF community lately. Not only that but, this is the 4th? that I can think of in the past month or so that was a high profile 2A proponent that has been killed under shady circumstances.

tom88

Of course this is sad news, but I also feel bad for the shooter (assuming it was the suspect they have identified). This was not some kid who snapped because his parents didn't love him enough or because of violent video games. This is someone who was mentally scarred while fulfilling his duties as a soldier. And for that reason, I hope he is treated with more respect and compassion than people like Adam Lanza.

Why? There are plenty of soldiers, Marines, cops, firemen, etc who suffer from PTSD. There are many people who have succumbed to mental illness through no fault of their own. I don't know of anyone who has become mentally ill because their parents didn't love them enough or because of video games.

There are tens of thousands of people who suffer from mental illness and never harm anyone.

tom88

Uhhhhh...Adam Lanza? :dork:
Really! You honestly think that is why he is mentally ill? Because his parents didn't love him enough? You truly have no idea about mental illness is this is what you believe. Your ignorance is astounding. Do you have any supporting documentation of that being the cause. I've stayed pretty close to this story and I haven't seen that what so ever.

rmorse

Why? There are plenty of soldiers, Marines, cops, firemen, etc who suffer from PTSD. There are many people who have succumbed to mental illness through no fault of their own. I don't know of anyone who has become mentally ill because their parents didn't love them enough or because of video games.

There are tens of thousands of people who suffer from mental illness and never harm anyone.

Why? Because instead of looking at this and saying "He knew better. Others in his same position didn't snap." we should be trying to figure out a way to help soldiers cope better with PTSD. Obviously it needs work. This is not an isolated event; this has happened before, where a soldier just snaps. We except our soldiers to walk through hell and come back (relatively) unscathed. While a lot can, some can't. We need to help the ones that can't.

That being said, it also pisses me off that the title is "killed" at gun range instead of "murdered." That is a huge difference. Killed implies that gun ranges aren't safe. My first thought was that it was an accident.