Christian Forum

StoneThrower

Ah the anonymity of the internet....What should be required on this forum (call it a gentleman's agreement) is that before you disparage a particular denomination as you just did in your last sentence, you clearly state your denomination (if any), and particular church you attend. Evens the playing field a bit, no? Especially important if you are new here.

Protestant, and the Holy catholic Church

StoneThrower

No Dude, old enough to put the boot to your behind junior.

What makes Jesus a redeemer?? If the people could already repent and be saved BEFORE this event took place, then it shows that this event wasn't needed at all because there was already a means of being saved!

They still needed Penal Substitutionary Atonement, A payment for their sin that was fully God and fully man or the scrafice would not be sufficent. All I was saying, is that one looked foward to the savior, the other backed, but Jesus is still the only way!

StoneThrower

Just what we need another basher of the Roman Catholic Church.

Which gutter did you climb out of to find Jesus and start bashing the Catholic Church?

Which bar or stripmall are you opening your church?

Evangelicalism-------------------->coming to a stripmall near you!

I'll keep you posted on that, and make sure to invite you to the first service.

Last edited:

hotcoffee

Ah the anonymity of the internet....What should be required on this forum (call it a gentleman's agreement) is that before you disparage a particular denomination as you just did in your last sentence, you clearly state your denomination (if any), and particular church you attend. Evens the playing field a bit, no? Especially important if you are new here.

Sorry I haven't been around too much.... my schedule got jammed up.

Anyway.... When I do go to a church, I prefer a Baptist Church with a busy pool and a Bible Thumping preacher that has you turning the pages of your thumper.

My family has had a preacher or a church leader of some denomination for the past six generations. I depend on my Bible. It's an NIV Study Thumper with lots and lots of notes written in it. I have a lot of papers stuck in different places to hold a place where something important to me is written. [These make it like a memory book too.... nice to see where I was in past years.]

I read "the Book" cover to cover while I was driving a cab in Virginia Beach. I wrapped it in a book cover so the evangelists would leave me alone. A preacher in Orlando Florida [back in the 70's] talked me in to burning my copy of "the Book" saying if it wasn't a KJV it was evil.:bigwhoop: I've learned a lot since then :coffee:

Is there some reason you can't choose to not enter these threads?
I don't read all the threads in any forum in somd online. I have to give some time to work, my family, and CRE. :whistle:

If there is someone there with a gun to your head, please call 911, and they will immediately send a police team who can get rid of that horrible person.
Actually, I am concerned about children in Christ reading some of the stuff I have read in this forum. Those searching, the non-believers, the newbies, those who have not biblical foundation.....

(And for the record, I've found that the fundies in here are far more vocal than the catholics. Most of the catholic rhetoric I've see in here is from people defending their religion against the harranging of fundamentalists).
Have you done any reading on the history of the chuch? Have you done any reading on the impact Constantine had? The fundies as you call us are only warning about keeping the Good News about the emply tomb as the focus.

Seriously, we are a couple of pages into this thread and this still hasn't been pounced on? :whistle:
I really appreciate this comment.... :coffee:
I am suprised myself by the fact there was no discussion on that insert.

The idea that the church should be so "inclusive" that it would allow the removal of the only way to Heaven being ignored to swell the church rosters is really really dangerous! It's happening right here in Calvert County....

Gotta go to work now.... but I'm glad this thread is going so well.... I'll try to keep up!

Toxick

Splat
I don't read all the threads in any forum in somd online. I have to give some time to work, my family, and CRE. :whistle:

Then I would suggest that you ignore the threads in here that bother you.

Actually, I am concerned about children in Christ reading some of the stuff I have read in this forum. Those searching, the non-believers, the newbies, those who have not biblical foundation.....

God forbid they read a variety of sources and draw their own conclusions.

Also, here's a little known fact:

A full 100% of the people who read this forum already have their minds made up, and changing their mind is akin to uprooting a redwood with your hands.

Have you done any reading on the history of the chuch?

No, none.

:rolleyes:

Have you done any reading on the impact Constantine had? The fundies as you call us are only warning about keeping the Good News about the emply tomb as the focus.

I know what fundie means. I wasn't using it as a derogotory term, as I consider myself to be a Fundamentalist Christian - although my approach and philosophy on the discussion thereof is vastly different than most of the others in here. 'Sides, I was simply pointing out that this group is way more vocal than every other group in the Religion forums, whereas you were implying otherwise in your original post.

I stand by that assertion as fact.

PsyOps

Pixelated
A full 100% of the people who read this forum already have their minds made up, and changing their mind is akin to uprooting a redwood with your hands.

I completely disagree with this. Anyone can change at any time.

StoneThrower

You are going to get a good laugh out of this one Star - but I am actually a non-believer. BUT...let's not let that get in the way of discussions please. I promise I am not here to argue about yours (or anybody's else’s beliefs) for that matter. I am only here for some good, healthy conversation.

I have studied the bible for many years, not for the reasoning of finding my path to salvation, but more out of a curiosity of religion in itself. One of the things I came across was that there was a path to salvation laid out by God in the Old Testament. Then along came the writings about Jesus and it seemed like God updated his path to Him, and then all of a sudden you needed to accept Jesus in your life. To me, it looked as though he "updated" the path. Just wanted to see how you felt about this outlook of mine. Thanks!

It seems you missed something on the Old Testament read through. The planopy of scripture points to Gods redemptive work through Christ. You can say thats a presupposition, but if read carefully you should agree so its not a plan B its a revealing and unfolding of it.

hotcoffee

Then I would suggest that you ignore the threads in here that bother you.

God forbid they read a variety of sources and draw their own conclusions.

Also, here's a little known fact:

[I asked if you had done any reading about the history of the church you answered:]No, none.

:rolleyes:

I know what fundie means. I wasn't using it as a derogotory term, as I consider myself to be a Fundamentalist Christian - although my approach and philosophy on the discussion thereof is vastly different than most of the others in here. 'Sides, I was simply pointing out that this group is way more vocal than every other group in the Religion forums, whereas you were implying otherwise in your original post.

I stand by that assertion as fact.

In Revelations 2:1-7... to the Church at Ephesus.... Jesus said:

"You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate"​

The word "Nicolaitans" comes from two Greek words: niko meaning to conquer or to overthrow... and laos meaning the people, laity.

Back in the very early church [we're talking about the first churches] There were some followers of Nicolai that practiced sensuality by separating their spirtual and physical nature, giving them license to sin.

They also tried to establish an ecclesiastical order. Evidently they wanted to set up bishops, cardinals, and popes.

Then... to the Church at Pergamum 2:12-17 ... Jesus said:

"Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans"​

Pergamos was a State Church in the period of AD 300's... that meant that the leaders of the state were either allowing it or actually participating in it.

I found this list in a book I'm reading about Revelation. I think it's kind of interesting....

AD 300 - Prayers for the dead
AD 300 - Making the sign of the cross
AD 375 - Worship of saints and angels
AD 394 - Mass first instituted
AD 431 - Worship of Mary began
AD 500 - Priests began dressing differently than laypeople
AD 526 - Extreme unction
AD 593 - Doctrine of purgatory introduced
AD 600 - Worship services conducted in Latin
AD 600 - Prayers directed to Mary

libby

In Revelations 2:1-7... to the Church at Ephesus.... Jesus said:

"You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate"​

The word "Nicolaitans" comes from two Greek words: niko meaning to conquer or to overthrow... and laos meaning the people, laity.

Back in the very early church [we're talking about the first churches] There were some followers of Nicolai that practiced sensuality by separating their spirtual and physical nature, giving them license to sin.

They also tried to establish an ecclesiastical order. Evidently they wanted to set up bishops, cardinals, and popes.

Then... to the Church at Pergamum 2:12-17 ... Jesus said:

"Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans"​

Pergamos was a State Church in the period of AD 300's... that meant that the leaders of the state were either allowing it or actually participating in it.

I found this list in a book I'm reading about Revelation. I think it's kind of interesting....

AD 300 - Prayers for the dead
AD 300 - Making the sign of the cross
AD 375 - Worship of saints and angels
AD 394 - Mass first instituted
AD 431 - Worship of Mary began
AD 500 - Priests began dressing differently than laypeople
AD 526 - Extreme unction
AD 593 - Doctrine of purgatory introduced
AD 600 - Worship services conducted in Latin
AD 600 - Prayers directed to Mary

Oh for Pete's sake, not another one!

Why do you keep going back to the Catholic Church.... when it's already been explained that the catholic [little c] is in trouble... not just the Catholic Church [big C]....

It's not all about the church.... that's the point... it's about the salvation.... it's all about spreading the good news....

ahem.jpg

:ahem:

hotcoffee

Oh for Pete's sake, not another one!

OK... Libby.... how about this another one....

Jehovah's Witness .... One of the evangelicals of the Jehovah's Witness said their religion claims there's no room in Heaven so we have to choose a house here. No room in Heaven? The God who created the universe wouldn't create a heavens big enough for all His believers? Come on.... but that's what they say....

Then there's the Baptist Church... [my own]... when I went to the last convention... it was all about how to purchase the Sunday School literature and how to make money for the church

The biggest of all tho.... the non-denominatitional church in Prince Frederick MD, Calvert County that needs to increase the numbers so they can pay for a preacher, a home for the preacher, and the church building. They are going to bring in everyone by saying that it's OK to just be good. God will let you into Heaven. You don't need to give your heart to Jesus to get into Heaven..... that's what they say.....

I can't help it... it is what it is.... John wrote about it... Jesus talked about it... and now it's here.... People have allowed themselves to loose site of the real reason. The pursuit of money is evil. There is a place in Heaven for all believers. If you don't give your heart to Jesus then you can't go to Heaven.

Last edited:

StoneThrower

It's about a lot more than that. I would never say religion itself saves us. Never. But, religion is our sanctification. The assembly of believers, the singing of hymns, the preaching and teaching of the Word, the edification of the saints, the evangelism of the lost, and benevolence towards those who are in need.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones once wrote about the dangers of "religion-less Christianity":

Lloyd-Jones on the folly of thinking God is only love and ignoring punishment and hell

Have you listened to any of his sermon podcast on Itunes?
I was a bit surprised.
I just did last week for the first time. The Curch and the State.