Chromecast

If you need to wait until payday to spend $35 then maybe you should rethink your purchase.

Besides they are out of stock everywhere.

Have you streamed long-ish HD videos with it yet - something like Netflix?

And if so, did you have any buffering problems?

somdfunguy

not impressed
Have you streamed long-ish HD videos with it yet - something like Netflix?

And if so, did you have any buffering problems?

Yeah, and I've had one or two hiccups but nothing out of the norm compared to my Roku. I do prefer the Roku for Netflix, I don't think the control from the iOS app works all that great. I had some freezing of the app where it would not respond but the stream was always as good as my Roku. I bought this mainly for webpage streaming of video. That works excellent, ABC Family has content we can't get from other legal sources.

Comcast seems to slow down video streams compared to when I had Metrocast. I've got twice the bandwidth, but you wouldn't know it while streaming.

Yeah, and I've had one or two hiccups but nothing out of the norm compared to my Roku. I do prefer the Roku for Netflix, I don't think the control from the iOS app works all that great. I had some freezing of the app where it would not respond but the stream was always as good as my Roku. I bought this mainly for webpage streaming of video. That works excellent, ABC Family has content we can't get from other legal sources.

Comcast seems to slow down video streams compared to when I had Metrocast. I've got twice the bandwidth, but you wouldn't know it while streaming.

Thanks.

Is it content that isn't available through the ABC Family app?

somdfunguy

not impressed
Thanks.

Is it content that isn't available through the ABC Family app?

It is, but we want it on the big screen. Im hoping they make the app work with Chromecast but I'm not sure; this way I don't have to have the PC on. I dont have an AppleTV but I think they do not allow the app to work with AirPlay. TV Executives really don't think logically.

glhs837

Power with Control
Since my Roku is hardwired using powerline networking, I cant see this as being an advantage.

It is, but we want it on the big screen. Im hoping they make the app work with Chromecast but I'm not sure; this way I don't have to have the PC on. I dont have an AppleTV but I think they do not allow the app to work with AirPlay. TV Executives really don't think logically.

I just tried and it works through AirPlay mirroring. But if you don't already have an Apple TV, especially if you have a Roku, it's probably not worth it just for a few channel apps.

I haven't found many apps that block AirPlay. HBO Go used to, but not anymore.

And my guess is a lot of those channel apps will quickly do as you suggest and build in Chromecast functionality, especially those that incorporate ads. That's assuming their existing contracts with content bundlers / distributors would allow them to.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Since my Roku is hardwired using powerline networking, I cant see this as being an advantage.

If you only want it for netflix then it is not. The "air play" functionality is what makes this a great deal for $35. I have a room with a tv that only has OTA and was thinking of getting a roku for it but now this can easily be moved to that tv when I need it.

I just tried and it works through AirPlay mirroring. But if you don't already have an Apple TV, especially if you have a Roku, it's probably not worth it just for a few channel apps.

I haven't found many apps that block AirPlay. HBO Go used to, but not anymore.

And my guess is a lot of those channel apps will quickly do as you suggest and build in Chromecast functionality, especially those that incorporate ads. That's assuming their existing contracts with content bundlers / distributors would allow them to.

Good to know, and I agree that is why I didnt want an AppleTV. I love Apple hardware but I have no ties to the Apple universe. We were burned on the Samsung Galaxy S1 and I haven't tried Android again since. The new Nexus 7 has me very interested though so if I ever get an Android device again it will use vanilla Android.