Cigarette Butt-heads

Do you consider flicking a used-up cigarette butt out the car window onto the street

• Yes

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Mountain MaMa
The paper and tobacco are biodegradable, the filter material is not. Cellulose acetate..
Commercially, cellulose acetate is made from processed wood pulp. The pulp is processed using acetic anhydride to form acetate flake from which products are made.

Coming from wood pulp, means that unlike most man-made fibres, it comes from a renewable resource and is biodegradable.

ohstate

http://www.cigarettelitter.org/

It is estimated that several trillion cigarette butts are littered worldwide every year. That's billions of cigarettes flicked, one at a time, on our sidewalks, beaches, nature trails, gardens, and other public places every single day. In fact, cigarettes are the most littered item in America and the world. Not only does cigarette litter ruin even the most picturesque setting, but the toxic residue in cigarette filters is damaging to the environment, and littered butts cause numerous fires every year, some of them fatal.

Typically wind and rain carry the cigarette into the water supply, where the toxic chemicals the cigarette filter was designed to trap leak out into aquatic ecosystems, threatening the quality of the water and many aquatic lifeforms. Cigarette butts may seem small, but with several trillion butts littered every year, the toxic chemicals add up!

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
I went back and reread the info I had. Some say yes they are biodegradable others no. Some say 10-15 years before they disappear. One also stated that the toxins in a butt can make a small child very sick if ingested.

SmallTown

Football season!
The science behind it all is irrelevant. It is trash, and has no places on the streets, sidewalks, etc.
If the butts are so great, keep them in your car, take them home and bury them in your back yard for safe keeping.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Mountain MaMa
I went back and reread the info I had. Some say yes they are biodegradable others no. Some say 10-15 years before they disappear. One also stated that the toxins in a butt can make a small child very sick if ingested.

Nah, my kids eat em all the time, they've become their favorite late night munchie. :wink: Would that be considered recycling? :twitch:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by Christy
Nah, my kids eat em all the time, they've become their favorite late night munchie. :wink: Would that be considered recycling? :twitch:
I'll remember that the next time my daughters stays the night at your house...:wink:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Christy

So that's what's happening to them all. You could at least tell them to leave me a couple. :rolleyes: I came downstairs this morning cause I was a tad hungry and the ashtrays were empty. It was very distressing. I've had a horrible morning because of it. :cool:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by pixiegirl
So that's what's happening to them all. You could at least tell them to leave me a couple. :rolleyes: I came downstairs this morning cause I was a tad hungry and the ashtrays were empty. It was very distressing. I've had a horrible morning because of it. :cool:

Sorry. :blushing:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
I'll remember that the next time my daughters stays the night at your house...:wink:

Oh, and as you can see, it's Bring Your Own Butts from now on! :lol:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I've read in do it yourself hints that if you soak cigarette butts in water, you can use it as a pesticide. Nicotine kills the bugs. Also, you can supercharge a cigarette with that nicotine cocktail and kill a person, making it look like a heart attack. Got this from Deadly Doses, a writer's guide to Poison. *Not that I'd ever do that*:duh: :angel:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Hello6
I've read in do it yourself hints that if you soak cigarette butts in water, you can use it as a pesticide. Nicotine kills the bugs.

Tobacco also spreads a nasty little disease called Tobacco Mosaic Virus to plants.
Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) is distributed worldwide and may cause significant losses in the field and greenhouse. TMV is one of the most stable viruses known, able to survive in dried plant debris as long as 100 years. Many strains of TMV have been reported and characterized. TMV can be seedborne in tomato, is readily transmitted mechanically by human activities, and may be present in tobacco products. The virus is not spread by insects commonly occurring in the greenhouse or field.

That's why it is not recommended you do this or throw cigarette butts in your garden or smoke in the garden.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Ewwww, I ain't eating any more mystery surprise dinners at your house anymore:barf:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by RoseRed
and you thought it was tuna casserole.... :biggrin:
Well, you actually don't want to know what I thought it was, but now I know :twitch:
:roflmao:
***Disclaimer - it is totally untrue that Christy & Steve would feed themselves, their children and their guests anything yucky!
:smooch:

Steve

Enjoying life!
Originally posted by Ken King
Commercially, cellulose acetate is made from processed wood pulp. The pulp is processed using acetic anhydride to form acetate flake from which products are made.

You trying out for the lead on CSI? :biggrin: