Traffic Rant Clements traffic circle

glhs837

Power with Control
No documented traffic accidents after the new intersection was put in place. It sounds like you have an opinion, which you are entitled to but nothing to back it up. You simply don't like the traffic circles you have to go through. If my memory serves me correctly, you have to go through two or three of them on this road. I don't blame you about the traffic circles. Not many people I know of prefer them over stop signs. But, the 4 way stop idea wasn't working out. The alternative counts on drivers to take some responsibility with entering and exiting intersections in a reasonable manner. This probably puts too much on the shoulders of some people in this County since it might require them take their eyes off their cell phones for a second or two.

I remember a few folks freaking out over the Chancellors Run improvement, saying the increased speeds and required turnarounds were going to cause a massive increase in crashes. Pretty sure the stats would show a well over 90% decrease. I also remember a hue and cry over Tom Hodges Road, telling us to just watch and see how many crashes were going to happen there. Can't say as I recall any though.

Is this the same traffic circle where the tractor trailer crashed into a house this morning?
it is same one near the house. There is a service station, a bar, a store and a ball field surrounding the circle. I don't know of a house at the circle.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
it is same one near the house. There is a service station, a bar, a store and a ball field surrounding the circle. I don't know of a house at the circle.

There is/was a small house right beside the old Hurry's store. Very small house. Looks like he was coming down from Chaptico and went right on through the circle and plowed the house.. I thought at one time there were flashing lights at the top of the hill coming from Chaptico..

CRHS89

There were but they removed them shortly after the circle was finished. I remember thinking it wouldn't have hurt to keep them. May not have made a difference in today's accident even if they had still been there.

There is/was a small house right beside the old Hurry's store. Very small house. Looks like he was coming down from Chaptico and went right on through the circle and plowed the house.. I thought at one time there were flashing lights at the top of the hill coming from Chaptico..
Yeah, when the pictures went up that was exactly came to mind... at this point we don't know if it was mechanical, medical or human error. Just so unbelievable nobody was killed.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Looks like. Here's the view into the impact point.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.326...m4!1s4xWxxKgVSVmoMY8aX7svTg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Damn, that's quite a ways past the circle. If he did come through the circle, he had to be flying. And still threaded a needle to get in there....

:lol The aerial images are new, but when you zoom in close enough it switches to the street view images - which are pre-circle construction.

The median and curbing around the circle itself are not much of a barrier, for a car. For a truck they are barely a bump in the road.
He could have swerved slightly to go through the circle, which may have caused him to lose control at the rate of speed he was traveling.

officeguy

:lol The aerial images are new, but when you zoom in close enough it switches to the street view images - which are pre-circle construction.

The median and curbing around the circle itself are not much of a barrier, for a car. For a truck they are barely a bump in the road.
He could have swerved slightly to go through the circle, which may have caused him to lose control at the rate of speed he was traveling.

The press release on the baynet states that hitting the curb after he went through the circle is what caused him to leave the roadway. It was probably a pretty wild ride leading up to that.

Initial investigation revealed a 2017 Kenworth T880 towing an empty semi-trailer, operated by Bolden Macarthur Walker, age 72, of Capital Heights, was traveling eastbound on Budds Creek Road, in the area of the traffic circle at Colton Point Road. For unknown reasons the operator lost control of the vehicle as it was approaching the traffic circle. The vehicle continued through the traffic circle, striking a curb, which caused the vehicle to cross the westbound lanes of Budds Creek Road. The vehicle then left the roadway, struck the awning of an unoccupied building, and ultimately collided into the side of an occupied residence.

Could be a lot of reasons. Early morning, older driver. Could have nodded off. Then there are mechanical reasons. Empty trailer, could have forgotten to properly hook up the brakes etc.