Cockerpoo

blueeyes76

I just recently had him shaved because his hair got so out of control. I plan on keeping a puppy cut (about 1/2 inch) on him from now on because it is so tough to keep up with. I don't have any recent pictures of him at work with me, but I do have some at home. I'll try to put one on here this evening, if you're interested.

blueeyes76

Boomer

This isn't the greatest picture, but it's the only one I have since his haircut and my Mom borrowed my digital camera. It'll have to do for now :smile:

Attachments

• boomer.jpg
    boomer.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 201

spinner

AHHHHH! Cockers shed, boxers shed, labs shed big time. Poodles, Bichons, and Wheaten Terriers don't shed but they take an incredible amount of coat care. Cairn terriers aren't supposed to shed but I think they do. They are a couple of other breeds out there that are not supposed to shed, but before you get a dog do the research. And ask yourself how much time and money you want to spend on having your dog groomed.
And I would like to know why you would consider a mixed breed owner less responsible than a purebreed owner. Thousands of purebred dogs are killed every year. Does that mean all breeding should be banned?
One last thing, just because a dog has papers and a long pedigree doesn't make it well bred. I have groomed dogs that don't look anything like their breed and yorkies that must weigh 20 lbs.
OK I'll get off my soapbox now...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: Boomer

Originally posted by blueeyes76
This isn't the greatest picture, but it's the only one I have since his haircut and my Mom borrowed my digital camera. It'll have to do for now :smile:
Awwww...he looks so soft and silky. I can't believe he's only 4 lbs, that's probably about the size of my dog's head. :lol: Does he ever get lost? :wink:

blueeyes76

Not that your post was directed at me spinner, buy I was just giving kimmy some other options. I personally don't have anything against mixed breeds. I had a pure-bred cocker spaniel growing up, she had tons of medical problems from being in-bred. You really never know what you are going to get, you're absolutely right, do the research. Not only on the breed, but the breeder as well.

blueeyes76

Sharon, he is always lost :wink:

My Brother and Sister-n-Law have a doberman, she's 75 lbs, you should see the two of them together. What breed do you have?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by blueeyes76
What breed do you have?
German Shepherd; all black, long hair-double coat. He weighs about 75 pounds. He da baby :baby: (listens better than the kids) :wink:

blueeyes76

My brother wants a shepherd really bad, he's always wanted one, but they think it's too late. The dobey is 7 years old now, she would be SO jealous. She turned her nose up at me for about 2 weeks after I got Boomer, she was so mad at me :biggrin:

I know what you mean about da baby. I used to tease my Bro and Sis-n-Law all the time about how much they babied their dog. I'll never tease them again :wink:

SxyPrincess

Blue,

S/he is the cutest little pup. Such adorable melt-your-hear eyes. Looks a lot bigger than 4 lbs I have to say. :biggrin:

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Originally posted by spinner
And I would like to know why you would consider a mixed breed owner less responsible than a purebreed owner. Thousands of purebred dogs are killed every year. Does that mean all breeding should be banned?

I'm guessing this comment is directed at me, since I was the one who initiated the dialogue about the "mixed breed" stuff. Not once did I EVER say there was something wrong with OWNING a mixed breed. I said there IS something wrong with PRODUCING mixed breed dogs ON PURPOSE when there are plenty in the shelters.

And you're right, purebred dogs are not immune from being sent to the shelter. I DO recommend rescue groups for purebred dogs before I recommend going to a breeder. There are just as many unscrupulous purebred breeders trying to make a buck because they paired together any two registered dogs that happen to be of the same breed and think that the AKC papers guarantee a healthy dog that conforms to the breed's standard.

And not everyone who breeds his/her dog on purpose is trying to make money or be selfish. Sometimes the reasoning is that it would be SO cute for their dog to have puppies and it would help the kids learn about the miracle of life, or that these two breeds would be really cool if they were mixed, or "I love my dog so much that I want one of his/her puppies". NONE of these are good reasons for breeding ANY kind of dog, purebred or not.

None of the above types of breeding should be encouraged. If you are seriously interested in finding a good breeder for a purebred dog, there are things to look for:

- All the necessary health clearances (hips, eyes, heart, thyroid) on BOTH parents
- The breeder will take back the puppy at ANY point in its life if you are unable to keep it
- The breeder shows or competes with the dogs that he/she is breeding
- The breeder interviews YOU as much as you interview him/her

Also, a few other notes about good breeders - they usually have waiting lists for their litters, and they're usually filled up BEFORE the litter is even born. They also usually don't breed unless they are planning on keeping one of the puppies for their own breeding/showing program.

All of this may sound pretty stuck-up and hoity-toity; I realize this. But unless you plan on competing with your dog in kennel events, there is no reason you shouldn't adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue. They're the ones that need your help.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Also, please note that the above is my opinion/position on the intentional breeding of dogs. It is not meant to be a personal attack on anyone here.

And blueeyes, your dog pic is very cute!!! Looks like a real sweetie.

spinner

I guess in a perfect world everybody would adopt from a shelter, and we wouldn't need shelters. Do I think we need to stop breeding so many animals? yes But I don't think that there is a special place in Hell for people who do breed mixed dogs, I am reserving that for people who own puppy mills. And I hope that hell is the bottom of a three story cage system without trays. What started this thread is somebody wanting a cockapoo. Many of the breeds now reconized by the AKC are breeds made up of several breeds. I don't know anything about the cockapoo association, but someday they could be registered. Probably not in my lifetime. When we bought our Jack Russell many years ago, the breed was not AKC. but had it's own registry. And they were MUCH more strict about genitic defects. To the point the dog had to be over 6mos to register, you had to send in pictures and a certificate from a vet saying she had no inherited defects. Some breeders see AKC reconigition as a death knell for their breed, second only to a popular sitcom or a Disney movie. Make no mistake, in my opinion AKC is only after the money. As long as you have the right numbers on the application form and on the check they'll register it no problem. Please excuse my spelling I am in a hurry

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm guessing this comment is directed at me, since I was the one who initiated the dialogue about the "mixed breed" stuff. Not once did I EVER say there was something wrong with OWNING a mixed breed. I said there IS something wrong with PRODUCING mixed breed dogs ON PURPOSE when there are plenty in the shelters.

Didn't we all go round and round about this before? Personally, I'm more for breeding of the mutt dogs in order to mix up that gene pool. I've had a bazillion dogs and my mutts have always been healthier and lived longer than any of the pure breeds.

I think to say it's okay to to breed, but only if the dogs are of of the same breed is silly.

I guess my preferences have always been of the Heinz 57 variety. I know I'm going to get smacked on this one, but I've always thought breeding dogs for profit, is just kinda strange. It's something I've never supported (with my wallet). I currently have a pure bred, great beagle, but we found him in the woods, his mother left him to die. I only know this because it was our neighbor that was the breeder. He just let us keep him, as I'm sure there is something wrong with him that I'll be paying big money for eventually! :twitch: