Coin Dealership

DaSDGuy

Live Metal Spot Price as of June 16, 2021: Silver is $27.80 per ounce, $.89 per gram, $893.79 per kilo. Get a postage scale and weigh how much you have to get a better idea how much your silver is worth. Kennedy Half-Dollars minted 1965–1970, and 1976, as well as Eisenhower Silver Dollars minted in the years 1971-1974, and 1976 are 40% silver. Roosevelt and Mercury Dimes, Washington Quarters, and Walking Liberty Franklin and Kennedy Half-Dollars minted in 1964 and earlier are 90% silver. Since coins are not 100% pure silver the value by weight will be a little less.

DogWhisperer

Is there a coin shop around here that buys and sells coins? I am having a hard time finding anything nearby - it keeps kicking me out to online sources.

Mostly trying to unload a cache of coins, all silver. I figure the silver alone is worth making the effort.
Sam, I can take a look at them and give you a fair price. Please PM me. DW

Hessian

I have dealt successfully with Golden Eagle coins up in Laurel...they buy typically within 2.5% of spot. Their website is updated hourly. It is a bit of a drive, but they are very security conscious and I have traded with them many times.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not a coin collector and I have to admit - I HAVE seen knock-offs of some coins. When I see a really nice Morgan, my first thought is "replica".

I THINK most of the rolls are Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes. Wife says there are Liberty Quarters in rolls. Honestly, we just - want - to unload.

Really - just looking to unload. If a sharp collector thinks wow, all of this is worth 2000 and offers 1000, we will take it. Neither of us has the patience to wade through if any are actually more valuable than the silver in 'em.
These are not collector coins. They are Precious Metal coins. These are investment coins. If you are not in a financially desperate situation, do not sell them. They hardly take up any space. What you have are hedges against the current, and coming tsunami of inflation. (Known as the expansion of the money supply). At the present moment, $1 face value, four circulated 90% silver quarters, pre-1964, are selling for $29.99. In the future they the cost will be higher. Read that again. $1.00 in pre-1964 quarters are worth $29.99! It's not the quarters themselves that are valuable, but the Precious Metal silver they contain. This in and of itself is showing you the insidious of inflation.

You have a valuable asset that will only increase in value over time. They are protecting you from the ravages of inflation. They are not taxable. The government doesn't know you have them. Keep them for when you really, really, need the cash.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Live Metal Spot Price as of June 16, 2021: Silver is $27.80 per ounce, $.89 per gram, $893.79 per kilo. Get a postage scale and weigh how much you have to get a better idea how much your silver is worth. Kennedy Half-Dollars minted 1965–1970, and 1976, as well as Eisenhower Silver Dollars minted in the years 1971-1974, and 1976 are 40% silver. Roosevelt and Mercury Dimes, Washington Quarters, and Walking Liberty Franklin and Kennedy Half-Dollars minted in 1964 and earlier are 90% silver. Since coins are not 100% pure silver the value by weight will be a little less.
Your spot price quotes are meaningless. Silver spot,(Today's spot $25.97), has disengaged from the market a long time ago. Just a simple 1 oz Silver Round is selling for $32.67. And a 1 oz American Silver Eagle Coin (Random Year) is $37.46. Sellers are marking higher premiums because they see the writing on the wall. So while Wall Street, (and all those ETF's having more paper silver than there is physical), spot may be one price, the market is now setting the true price.

Besides, I just told him. $1.00 face value of any pre-1964 coins are worth $29.99. So if he has $100 face value in pre-1964 coins, that value would be $2999. Simple maths.

Clem72

There's a pretty large coin club that meets at the Hollywood VFW. Several coin dealers and 50-100 collectors.

SamSpade

You have a valuable asset that will only increase in value over time. They are protecting you from the ravages of inflation. They are not taxable. The government doesn't know you have them. Keep them for when you really, really, need the cash.
Except - they're not mine I am selling them for someone else. Not my decision.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Except - they're not mine I am selling them for someone else. Not my decision.
In that case, buy them yourself and hold.

EDIT: But if you really want/have to sell them, I would suggest using JM Bullion or another reputable online retailer. At least there, you will receive the best price with lower sell to premiums. No brick-n-mortar business will give you a better rate. Pawn stores, jewelers, coin shops, will all short you on the coin's worth. They are the greediest bastards looking to make a quick buck from ignorant and/or desperate sellers they truly buy very low and sell very high.

Last edited:

slowlane

A couple years ago, there was a coin dealer inside the Hughesville Bargain Barn complex (converted tobacco warehouse on Route 5), most Saturdays. If he's still there? I misplaced his card. He does not advertise.

His stand is / was in the far north end of the building (the end facing Waldorf). He seemed honest, and advised me to hang on to my silver coins until the market price of silver goes up (which you can google at anytime online).

You can also borrow U.S. coin price guidebooks at public libraries. The Whitman's Red book (shows retail prices) or the Blue book (wholesale prices) by date and condition of coin.

Last edited: