Collins or Campbell?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That question is all the rage in Redskin land and lots of people are asking the obvious; Why has this guy been a back up for so long? If he's doing so well, why wasn't he starting from the get go? Is he just a career back up who is just as likely to fall apart as do well?

Well, lets give this a once over.

He was drafted by Buffalo to replace the legend, Jim Kelly, backing him up for the last two years of his illustrious career. No qualms there, right? His year three stats with 14 starts look alot like Jason Campbells; 55%, about the same number of TD's as interceptions.

Then, Buffalo kinda blew the team up and he moved on to KC for his fourth season. There, he sat behind Rich Gannon for a year, with Warren Moon as back up, then Elvis Grbac for two years who became a hot property and went to Baltimore.

In 2001, Al Saunders went back to KC and they picked up Trent Green who then became a star and entrenched through 2005 when Collins and Saunders went to the Skins.

He certainly isn't going to get a chance over Joe's chosen one, Brunell or the hand picked replacement, Jason Campbell. That took care of '06 and the start of '07.

So, all in all, it's not like the guy just stunk. He lost three years in Buffalo, was not going to dislodge elders Gannon or Grbac and then comes Saunders and Green. They all stayed pretty healthy and he never got the chance.
Don't forget that Saunders wanted him to come along.

So, a career goes pretty fast if you look into it a bit. He was never a big name stud qb, so getting a fat FA contract as an unproven vet wasn't going to happen.

When you read between the lines about player comments, like Portis, they give off the sense that their is some happy receivers. CP talked about how JC would check down to him late and with three guys around him vs. Todd is getting to the check down QUICK and giving Clinton some time and room to run. Randl El and Moss give the distinct impression that they know the ball is going to be where it is supposed to be. Reading the same thing as the QB has gotta give these guys a charge vs. reading one thing and the inexperienced Campbell reading another.

In any event, Todd is not some fluke whose carriage is going to turn back into a pumpkin at midnight. He's a solid pro and this all just happens to have worked out right time and right place and he is in a system, timing patterns, well suited to his strengths, read and throw it.

There is every reason to expect qb play to be a strength of this team however much longer it lasts. If that proves out, they guy has earned #1 next year.

D1VA

:buddies:

The question is:
Do you think they will keep Collins next year? Isn't his contract up?

I have been very impressed with him and Campbell. Can't we keep them both? :yahoo:

AndyMarquisLIVE

Collins has experience though.

Jason Campbell might come around. But, he's young. He wasn't drafted as no. 1. Most fresh quarterbacks spend a few years as backups.

Collins has played very good football. Not a lot of interceptions. More completed passes. It really seems as though the whole team started playing well once Campbell down. The whole team is playing more confidently, not just Collins.

I think it's to the point where the Redskins would be more likely to fire Gibbs than Collins. He is a free agent (Collins). If he goes, somebody (Miami, Cincinatti, NY Jets) is licking their chops and there will be a HUGE sum of money awaiting Mr. Collins.

Starting Jason Campbell now would be a mistake. He'll come around, sometime.

But, you're right Larry. I wonder what would've happened with some of these games if Collins had started them. Maybe a few more wins? Maybe home field and a bye-week for the playoffs.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Brunell for backup and President!!!

I think Campbell is a good QB in the making. I think they should let him rest for at least another week. It's not worth risking him screw up his leg even further. Collins has been on a roll for weeks now. I say let Collins keep going.

BlueBird

If the Redskins want to win in the Play offs you have to go with Collins.

Campbell just isn't there yet and it's all about winning now.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Collins is the QB thru the playoffs unless he gets hurt. Next year is next year, lets worry bout that in July and enjoy the ride we're on.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Collins is the QB thru the playoffs unless he gets hurt. Next year is next year, lets worry bout that in July and enjoy the ride we're on.

:wisdombeyondhisyears::buddies:

Collins has played very good football. Not a lot of interceptions

Well ZERO (ints) does count as "not a lot":yay:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

Yup, Collins is the guy for the rest of the year.

Next year Campbell comes in as the #1 and you go from there as long as he recovers fully.

donbarzini

Mind a little input from a Pat's fan?

Just remember that Tom Brady was Bledsoe's backup, and Bledsoe WAS healthy at playoff time but Belichick chose to stay with Brady............

DuffMan

This is the same thing that happend in Philly last year, Garcia came in for McNabb and took them to the playoffs. The next season Garcia was gone! This is a try out for Collins right now and with him winning the last few regular season games and making the playoffs I don't see him as a back up in Washington next year.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
This is the same thing that happend in Philly last year, Garcia came in for McNabb and took them to the playoffs. The next season Garcia was gone! This is a try out for Collins right now and with him winning the last few regular season games and making the playoffs I don't see him as a back up in Washington next year.

Not true, our situation is different than Philly's... we don't have 20 mil loaded into a single QB like they pay McNabb, plus Brunell will be gone next year, so when FA time comes, they can throw a mil at Collins to stay.

DuffMan

Not true, our situation is different than Philly's... we don't have 20 mil loaded into a single QB like they pay McNabb, plus Brunell will be gone next year, so when FA time comes, they can throw a mil at Collins to stay.

Collins is not going to take a mil to be a back up in Washington when he make 5 to 6 mil as a starter somewhere else.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Collins is not going to take a mil to be a back up in Washington when he make 5 to 6 mil as a starter somewhere else.

I don't see him making 5-6 mil at 37yr old...when they will also take into account he has been in the same offense for 9yrs, hence why he looks so good.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
If the Redskins want to win in the Play offs you have to go with Collins.

Campbell just isn't there yet and it's all about winning now.

:yeahthat:

I can't believe no one noticed Collins had these skills during practice. WTF!!!!

Oh, and Jason Campbell who? :whistle:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
:yeahthat:

I can't believe no one noticed Collins had these skills during practice. WTF!!!!

Oh, and Jason Campbell who? :whistle:

Jason Campbell will be the guy, he just isn't there just yet, he has the potential, which is better than most start with. As for Collins, why do you think every where Al Saunders went he made Collins come with :shrug:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Jason Campbell will be the guy, he just isn't there just yet, he has the potential, which is better than most start with. As for Collins, why do you think every where Al Saunders went he made Collins come with :shrug:

Jason Campbell looked really sad at the end of the Red/Cow game. last week. It's like he was thinking of what people would be saying as far as who plays in the playoffs. Good to know he will be ok.

Hmm... good point on that trail ride but what took them so long this season?