Colonrectal Screening

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
So, I turned the big 5-0 and need to get this screening done. TriCare has referred me to Nyan R. Shah at the Bean Center. Looking for some personal experiences not only with Nyan Shah, but also the whole process.

1. Any opinions about this Dr? I Googled the name and didn't find a whole lot of detail.
  2. What's the first visit entail? They don't go right in & rip into your butt on the first visit do they?
  3. Does this article reflect (albeit with a bit of humor) the actual process?
http://www.miamiherald.com/283/story/427603-p2.html

I plan on calling the Bean Center to ask about the process, but I'm also looking for personal experiences to prepare myself. Thanks in advance.

I did find this:

Dr. Nayan Shah
Dr. Nayan Shah has been practicing Gatroenterology since 1984 in Southern Maryland with Shah Associates after completing his residency and post-graduate training at Mercy Catholic Medical Center in Darby, Pennsylvania. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. Nayan is very active in many national and international charitable organizations. According to Dr. Shah the most rewarding part of practicing medicine is the early detection of potentially serious problems such as colo-rectal cancer and following the patient through to a positive outcome. Dr. Shah is a family man with two sons. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two sons, taking photographs and playing tennis.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...put a guy in a bar full of women and all we think about is which one(s) would like like to take home. That night.

Some guy wants to slip his finger up our azz, all of a sudden it's a relationship and we wanna know EVERYTHING about this person. Before we make a commitment.

:lol:

wineo

loving life
So, I turned the big 5-0 and need to get this screening done. TriCare has referred me to Nyan R. Shah at the Bean Center. Looking for some personal experiences not only with Nyan Shah, but also the whole process.

1. Any opinions about this Dr? I Googled the name and didn't find a whole lot of detail.
  2. What's the first visit entail? They don't go right in & rip into your butt on the first visit do they?

I plan on calling the Bean Center to ask about the process, but I'm also looking for personal experiences to prepare myself. Thanks in advance.

I did find this:

Great Dr, never had a problem, the day before is the worst. After you will be a little sleepy.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I had him for my screening and all went well. The worst part of the test is the crap you have to drink the day before, and the ring around your butt from being on the toilet...The test is the easiest part. Good luck Isn't turning 50 fun....

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You'll get a laxative that cleans you out, and I mean move the tv to the bathroom clean out. Get the earliest appointment possible, 'cuz you're gonna' be starvin'. They'll give you a nice cocktail, next thing you know you'll be awake waitin' for the results. ezpz. Walk in the park.

Dr. Shah and his staff are awesome.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

I had it done by Dr. Lee at Calvert Internal. If I had to have someone violate me, I felt better about it being a woman. And looking at her guaranteed I would not get wood.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
The best part is for the person you have to bring with you. Although they have to sit there forever waiting for you to come out, they get to see all the drunk people walking out of there. Some of the comments they make are great. So try not to say anything when you walk out of there.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

The process for me:

First visit - medical history, questions about symptoms, quick finger, but not too intrusive. Schedule scope.

Scope - The night before, drank the phospho-soda, and pee'd out my butt. It definitely makes you empty.

I vaguely remember watching the scope on TV, and I remember grunting from the pain when they turned the corner. Other than that, no memories.

If you have a choice, try to get the long scope. I didn't want to be awake when I got invaded, and they don't knock you out for the short scope.

R

retiredweaxman

I did find this:

I had a colonoscopy done last week by Doc Shah.

All in all, I would say (from what I remember) it was a very professional place.
Give yourself about 3 hours for the exam - between the sedation, the exam and the slight recuperation time they give you. You will be able to drive yourself home and they demand they see your designated driver before enything starts.

However, be prepared for the preparation the night prior!!!! You have to drink 1/2 gallon of a solution - one 8 oz glass every ten minutes until it is gone. the prep can be gotten at CVS for 9 bucks. The doc's office told me not to get the stuff on base - for some reason, they give the solution in 1 gallon jugs (and the 1/2 gallon took me 2 hours to drink).

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
Dr. Shah's office doesn't expect someone to sit there and wait. They'll call you when it's time to pick up the patient.

Really, I had to come in with hubby and wait in the waiting room while he was in there. They did have a movie playing for us. I saw it 1 and a half times through.

R

retiredweaxman

Really, I had to come in with hubby and wait in the waiting room while he was in there. They did have a movie playing for us. I saw it 1 and a half times through.

My wife and I had the same experience. She was "forced" to wait as well.

I forgot to mention the sedation. Someone mentioned something about being sleepy after the procedure??? During the procedure, someone could have placed a lit M-80 in my arse and I would not have noticed. I got home from the procedure at 2 - slept til 4 - held conversations with my wife and do not remember a single one of them!!!!

The drugs they used were A-1!!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My wife and I had the same experience. She was "forced" to wait as well.

I forgot to mention the sedation. Someone mentioned something about being sleepy after the procedure??? During the procedure, someone could have placed a lit M-80 in my arse and I would not have noticed. I got home from the procedure at 2 - slept til 4 - held conversations with my wife and do not remember a single one of them!!!!

The drugs they used were A-1!!!!

Careful.. keep it up and Mojo will be volunteering to pick everyone up after..

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an
appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office,
Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that
appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly
through Minneapolis . Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure
to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded
thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my
brain was shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000
FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep, ' which comes ina box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss
MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must
never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being
nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my
preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any
solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically
water, only with less flavor. Then, in the evening, I took the
MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter
plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those
unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.)
Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour,
because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture
of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great
sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel
movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump
off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic,
here, but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is
pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There
are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend
several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting
violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you
must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep,
at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the
future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next
morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not
only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing
occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking,
'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend forsomething
like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to
sign many forms acknowledging that I
understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said.
Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I
went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put
on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the
kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than
when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left
hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and
I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put
vodka in their MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't
thought of this is, but then I pondered what would happen if you got
yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you
were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice
but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room,
where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did
not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around
there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had
me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking
something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in
the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA.
I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing
during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be
the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy,
from somewhere behind me.
'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been
dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare
yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail,
exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was
yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and
the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very
mellow mood. Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt.
I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that
It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors.I
have never been prouder of an internal organ.

On the subject of Colonoscopies... Colonoscopies are no joke, but
these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician
claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients
(predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:

1. 'Take it easy, Doc. You're boldly going where no man has gone before!
2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'
3. 'Can you hear me NOW?'
4. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'
5. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'
6. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'
7. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'
8. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'
9. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!
10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'
11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'
12. 'God, now I know why I am not gay.'
And the best one of all...
13. 'Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?

This is from newshound Dave Barry's colonoscopy journal:

ABOUT THE WRITER Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I vaguely remember watching the scope on TV, and I remember grunting from the pain when they turned the corner. Other than that, no memories.

If you have a choice, try to get the long scope. I didn't want to be awake when I got invaded, and they don't knock you out for the short scope.

Thank you all very much!!!!

Needless to say, I'm a little nervous & reading all the positive responses makes me feel much better.

MMDad - the 'turning the corner bit' pain..Hmmmm? Weren't you knocked out totally? Also, I'm not familiar with the long scope vs. short scope, but I know I want to be totally out, so hopefully the 'long scope' is in my future...:killingme

I'm going to Google to see what the difference is (other than length, obviously).

Dupontster - Excellent; that's the Dave Berry story I linked to in my original post. Some funny stuff...

One last question?
What's the stuff taste like that you have to drink the night before? Hopefully not like Metamucil...:barf: