Comedian Richard Pryor Dies at Age 65

V

Vixen

Surprised he lived this long. If I recall correctly, he had a serious cocaine addiction at one time. :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Forbes is reporting he died from a heart attack and that he had been ill for a while with multiple sclerosis.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He'd think...

Bustem' Down said:
Damn funny guy. You know he'd like everyone to do an eight ball in his honor.

RIP Richard! :cheers:

...that was funny!

Pryor was one of the best and he paid the price for being the first black stand up $uper $tar. Red Foxx, his peers and those who came before them grew up in a segregated nation and, though successful, it was a dollar at a time, a job that was better than digging ditches but still, very much work and travel. No room for the inflated, dangerous ego that comes from being young, rich and with no limits.

Pryor was the transition to spoiled rock star status brought about by huge dollars. Some might say Cosby was the first black comedy Super Star but if Red Foxx and his peers were doing the equivalent of Delta blues then Richard was Jimi Hendrix and Bill Cosby was doing more of a gospel thing; not the hard edged, go for and past the limits performance and life that Pryor and Hendrix did.

Cosby is a legend in his own right.

RIP Richard.

willie

Just the kind of guy everyone should emulate. The air time and several pages in the Post devoted to him, I expect flags to be at half staff tomorrow.

bcp

In My Opinion
I remember back in the late 70s (I told you all I was old) I was working at the brand new k-mart in landover, the guy in the back that sold stereos and tvs was trying to get more people back to his department to purchase....

as with all stores, he played records on the systems so people could hear them, and make a decision on their purchase,, this one particular day, he decided that it would be in the best interest to put a copy of Richards album "that ******s crazy" on and pump the volume up.

To this day I have to wonder what ever became of that guy.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
... his peers and those who came before them grew up in a segregated nation and, though successful, it was a dollar at a time, a job that was better than digging ditches but still, very much work and travel.
I'm not sure I'm understanding this Larry, Pryor was right there with them in that "segregated nation", just a younger man when it ended. It wasn't until the 70s that he got his big break. A lot of his early material focused on the way life was for him when he was growing up.

C

canuk woman

tomchamp said:
Foxnews reporting!

That's all!

I found out and i was shocked another actor under the superman curse (anyone that was in any of the superman movies got a little backlash on them half of the actors are in the where are they now file or dead, and some end up wheelchair bound I'm not naming any names because we all know what I'm talking about).

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
canuk woman said:
I found out and i was shocked another actor under the superman curse (anyone that was in any of the superman movies got a little backlash on them half of the actors are in the where are they now file or dead, and some end up wheelchair bound I'm not naming any names because we all know what I'm talking about).
I think it had little to do with Superman and more to do with hard drugs little girl.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
I think it had little to do with Superman and more to do with hard drugs little girl.
I thought he cleaned up after doing the "torch" and the heart attack was related to the MS he suffered from.