Compound Bow

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Looking at getting this package deal to start a new hobby.
Good for a beginner?
2010 PSE Deer Hunter, Complete Field-Ready Bowhunting Rig with Everything

Looks like a good beginner bow.

Need a forgiving bow to start on, one that will let you make small mistakes and still shoot fairly accurately.

I started with a PSE, it was somewhat slow, but was inexpensive. Go with aluminum arrows to start too. Doesn't hurt so much when you lose a $5 arrow.. sucks when they run about $15 an arrow.

Just starting out pinpoint accuracy isn't the end all be all, you just need to practice form and consistency, so no need to spend HUGE $$$ on the best arrows, the best sights.. etc.. etc..

I want to set up a 3D range in our field when all is said and done.. I can have different sized targets out to 400 yards (I know that is WAAAAY over kill for Archery, but what they hey!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The husband (an avid hunter ) says the following:

PSE"S are good bows but.......that package is a lot of money for a slow, not alot of let off bow. That it doesn't have a heavy enough draw. (more draw weight means a faster arrow).

Depends (I think)..

But buying online or through the mail may be counter productive. Ie, getting the draw length right for the individual. I bought my bow because at the time it was the only one with a 32" draw, and then put on an overdraw so I can still shoot 28" arrows.

50 - 65 pounds sounds like plenty of draw weight for a beginner that's going to be putting a lot of arrows downrange. Try putting 50 arrows downrange with an 80# bow.. No thanks. I'd even think a lighter draw weight just so he can put a LOT of arrows down range without tiring.

BUT that's just me.. I'm not a pro by any means and being that I haven't picked it up two years, I'd say not very Avid either.

Last edited:

nomoney

Depends (I think)..

But buying online or through the mail may be counter productive. Ie, getting the draw length right for the individual. I bought my bow because at the time it was the only one with a 32" draw, and then put on a drawback (right term?) so I can still shoot 28" arrows.

50 - 65 pounds sounds like plenty of draw weight for a beginner that's going to be putting a lot of arrows downrange. Try putting 50 arrows downrange with an 80# bow.. No thanks. I'd even think a lighter draw weight just so he can put a LOT of arrows down range without tiring.

BUT that's just me.. I'm not a pro by any means and being that I haven't picked it up two years, I'd say not very Avid either.

I think what he was really trying to say was that for what it is, its too much money. There's comparable ones with the same draw out there for cheaper.

nomoney

You know for $300 you can buy a brand new crossbow set up. That will get you the crossbow, scope and bolts. They are legal for everyone to use now. It's like shooting a gun. No draw length, let-off, draw weight. Point and shoot.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
You know for $300 you can buy a brand new crossbow set up. That will get you the crossbow, scope and bolts. They are legal for everyone to use now. It's like shooting a gun. No draw length, let-off, draw weight. Point and shoot.

Link

I thought a decent cross bow would be 3x as much.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Or you could just buy a gun...

oldman

Lobster Land
Just remember whatever you may get you will need to put in a lot practice time. It ain't like swatting at a fly.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Or you could just buy a gun...

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
But it looks easy watching it on TV, just like golf.

Yea, anyone can get a monster buck :buddies:...... remember that it doesn't get expensive until you go to "outfit" whatever you buy; all the accessories is where the money goes. As in anything else you buy, you get what you pay for when it comes to compound bows. Like a Cobalt and a Cadillac, both will get you from point A to point B, it all depends on the ride quality you want getting there.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Barnett Quad 400
"Purchased the Quad 400 and went to site it in. Found it was shooting 2" to the right and 10" low. Made adjustments to the scope and we shot. On the 4th shot the string exploded into my face. I was not hurt but immediately returned it to BassPro with no problems. Was told this happens alot with Barnett bows so I switched brands and upgraded."

:yikes:
I'm already ugly, but I don't want to get uglier.

bulldog

I have a spare bow that you can use...just to see if it's something you really want to get into. If it is, and the bow fits you (very important) we'll go from there. Lets talk.
Crossbow is an option, but....oh well, never mind.