Compound Bow

hooknline

But it looks easy watching it on TV, just like golf.

I suggest getting a bow fitted for you at a Pro shop. You need a Bow that is correct for you. Sometimes you need to hold for a long time for Bambi or else you get busted. Most Outdoor shops have someone qualified to fit a Bow (and sell you stuff you might not need:killingme) Your going to pay more up front although keeps you from spending on that begginner kit.

Scent Free Deer Hunting = Meat in the Freezer:coffee:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Looking at getting this package deal to start a new hobby.
Good for a beginner?
2010 PSE Deer Hunter, Complete Field-Ready Bowhunting Rig with Everything

PSE makes a good bow, I went to TreeStand last year to buy a Matthews, and after what they did to Kim, I said F*** them... So Kim had me look through a few things, etc..etc..

I shot 4 different bows, I ended up with the PSE Bow Madness XL...

PSE is not a slow bow, it is not a loud bow... Every bow is fast, every bow makes noise(to an extent), that is why they make stabilizers, dampeners, etc to quiet the bow even more...

Three J's up on Morganza Turner Rd is where Kim said to go once she closed, and one of the guys who works there, went to school just on PSE's, so I would recommend talking to them first.

My personal opinion though, PSE is a good bow, and the one you are looking at would be a great starter. It has a very forgiving brace height, which is a big deal for beginners :yay:

bulldog

I suggest getting a bow fitted for you at a Pro shop. You need a Bow that is correct for you. Sometimes you need to hold for a long time for Bambi or else you get busted. Most Outdoor shops have someone qualified to fit a Bow (and sell you stuff you might not need:killingme) Your going to pay more up front although keeps you from spending on that begginner kit.

Scent Free Deer Hunting = Meat in the Freezer:coffee:

I agree with getting a bow fitted, but if new to the sport and not sure about it, it certainly would not hurt to borrow one and test drive it just to see if you like it at all. Of course it has to fit right so if I'm 6'6" with a long draw length (i am) and the guy test driving my bow is only 5'8" with a short draw length, it won't work.
Many bows now days can be modified with new cams that will allow for longer or shorter draw lengths.
Again, my point was to try it before investing a lot of money into a bow that is set up specifically for you.

bulldog

Can you hunt with a bow and arrows during gun season.....legally?

Yes. You can bow (and crossbow) from 15 September to 31 January. However, pay attention to the regs. If bowhunting during gun season, you must wear hunter orange. Other rules apply as well so read the regs.

hooknline

I agree with getting a bow fitted, but if new to the sport and not sure about it, it certainly would not hurt to borrow one and test drive it just to see if you like it at all. Of course it has to fit right so if I'm 6'6" with a long draw length (i am) and the guy test driving my bow is only 5'8" with a short draw length, it won't work.
Many bows now days can be modified with new cams that will allow for longer or shorter draw lengths.
Again, my point was to try it before investing a lot of money into a bow that is set up specifically for you.

I agree with you 100%
was talking purchase time though.

Ponytail

Take a SERIUOS look at the new Bear bows, if you are set on buying new. I bought two last year and am WAY impressed with their new bows.

I picked a used Bowtech Captain for myself 1 year and a half ago for less than half of the new price. LIke new condition.

Check Archerytalk.com. Online forums and VERY active and HUGE classifieds section. That's where I got mine. Most up to date informative website/forum that I could find.

Hunters friend is a decent website, but you pay for a "ready to hunt package". They do take the extra step to "tune" the bow, but for a new shooter, only picking up the "hobby", you are wasting your money.

You are MUCH better off, going to a larger archery specialty shop, getting them to show you a few bows to find what you like, buying used and then letting that shop help you set it up.

Buy a bare bones used bow, buy used sights, etc. You can set up a NICE bow, for half of what hunters friend charges, and doing it this way, you will have a much nicer bow, and you will know how to set it up, and you'll know exactly what you have.

Bows are updated nearly twice a year due to HUGE and fast advancements in technology. And their are THOUSANDS of fanatics out there that have to have the latest and greatest, so there's a TON of awesome equipment out there for great prices.

For new shooter look for a brace height of 7 or better. Less than that, and you'll quickly be discouraged due to sensativity to shooter form/repeatability, etc.

For hunting, you want a quiet, controllable shooter, more than speed, especially if you are a new shooter. The new entry level bows are all shooting in excess of 250 fps which is nearly twice as fast as average hunting bows were shooting 10-15 years ago. So 250 fps, is PLENTY fast for hunting. 300fps is average now, and 360+ fps is at the high end, but noise becomes a factor. At 250 fps, a good light arrow with new carbon arrows and lighter hunting tip will completely pass through a deer, very similar to a bullet.

80% let-off is standard now, and many new bows are easily adjustable for draw weight, length and let-off without a bow press.

I shoot a 70lb draw weight bow and at 80% letoff, I can hold it all day. It's a sweet shooter, very quiet. And I am no He-Man by any stretch of the imagination and this is a very compfortable set-up for me. If you are planning to hunt in colder weather, then you might consider dropping back to a 60-lb set-up.

For deals on NEW BOWS, bare and RTH, check Native Outdoors - Hunting and Outdoors Equipment . They are a fantastic store out of Texas that run frequent sales on their equipment.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Thank you all for the info and advice.
I didn't think it would be this complicated.
I thought it would be an easy decision.

Still debating, bow or cross bow.

Ponytail

Spend some time on Archerytalk.com. For a good break from work and your research, check out the new calendars and "photo shoots" from Martin Archery, linked in NUMEROUS places on that site. You'll be glad you did. :drool:

Hopefully, I'll be making a trip down there to get some work done on the house. I'll get in touch with you so you can come shoot my bow. You have the same draw length as me, just so you can feel what 70lb draw weight with 80% let-off feels like. I really wouldn't go less than 60 lbs if I were you. That 50 lb'r will get boring, really fast.

Last edited:

hooknline

What type of hunting do you want to do? tree stand or Stalking? For a beginner, tree stand for a Bow or crossbow and crossbow for Stalking on ground. Ground blind would be OK for either. depends on your plans. I prefer a Bow over a crossbow although own both. Crossbow is much more forgiving because it is already loaded and at the ready. You can use any combination you want although Stalking with a Bow is very difficult and you will need to use alot of;Wind,noise,scent concealment/movement skills. I think Stalking is the most fun although least productive with harvest because getting busted is so so so easy with either weapon. If you have a high stress job, hunting will def be your medicine. Sometimes don't even care if I get a deer; just want to get in the woods hunt/relax.

Ponytail

... If you have a high stress job, hunting will def be your medicine. Sometimes don't even care if I get a deer; just want to get in the woods hunt/relax.

:yay: Some of my best/longest naps have come while sitting against a tree in sub-freezing temperatures. But there are other perks too, like seeing other wildlife you otherwise wouldn't get to see.

A few years a go I had a female black bear and her 2 cubs walk to within 40 feet of me, before I purpously broke a twig to make my presence known. I figured that was close enough.

Frequent sightings for me though where I hunt are Mink, river otters, beavers turkeys, barn owls, HUGE wood peckers and porcupine.

Chickadee's crapping on my hat are a frequent slightly comical occurrence too.

Gotta love nature.

somdshootnet

Good for a beginner?

Heck if you're looking for a good beginner bow, I have complete setup here I'll sell for $125.00 with arrows, sighted in, and ready to shoot. It's an older Bear compound, set up at 55lb with a 29" draw and I have some Easton XX75 camo hunters I have in the quiver for it in the recommended 2117 aluminum. I think I might even have the trigger wrist release for it too.

I've taken several deer and many squirrels with it. I have not used it in about 3 years but I keep the string waxed and shoot with it occasionally just to keep in in good working order. I have it on the market since I'm trying to find a good single shot shotgun for my nephew.

Last edited:

somdshootnet

Good for a beginner?

I'm still shooting my old PSE NOVA compound I bought a hundred years ago, it kills deer at 5-25 yards, which is my max distance due to heavy cover in the hunting woods, so I've never felt the need to buy a new bow. I have no issues with my PSE, but, maybe someday I'll buy another bow, everybody I know is buying Parker bows now.