Conformation question

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Hello Horsey Ladies,
Could you give me a quick opinion of this gelding? What do you think? Long in the back? Straight shoulder? See any glaring problems for a trail horse that we have no intention of showing? I'm looking a buying a second buckskin horse, this one for hubby, and I was sent these crap pics. He is 16.1 and almost 5.

I'll be dragging out our trainer and eventually having a pre-purchase vet exam but before I get the ball rolling I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has some insight.

Attachments

• Scooter2.jpg
    Scooter2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Scooter1.jpg
    Scooter1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 178

devinej

actually he looks pretty nice to me. nothing glaring. what's his breeding? hard to tell a lot with pics from that angle and walking. looks like he's built uphill with higher withers than his rump. his feet look like they were cut really short. nice neck, maybe set a little deep, but not bad. nice clean throatlatch. nice short cannon bones compared to forearms.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
actually he looks pretty nice to me. nothing glaring. what's his breeding? hard to tell a lot with pics from that angle and walking. looks like he's built uphill with higher withers than his rump. his feet look like they were cut really short. nice neck, maybe set a little deep, but not bad. nice clean throatlatch. nice short cannon bones compared to forearms.

He is a quarter horse, double hancock bred if that means anything to you. It didn't to me other than the bit I know about foundation quarter horses. He's been used to work cattle for the last year. He looks pretty athletic but the owner tells me he's kind of a lazy horse which suits us fine for trail riding. He's never worn shoes! I find that a bit amazing out west of San Antonio but the owner is a big believer in barefoot horses.

Thanks for the critique, I really don't have an eye for this sort of thing yet unless it's glaringly obvious. Funny thing is I just bought a buckskin for myself last month! We we just looking for another trail horse in any color for hubby and this one popped up and they could be twin brothers! check it out. This is my current horse. They are within an inch in height even. My horse came out of Florida though.

Attachments

• BugsBehind.jpg
    BugsBehind.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 143
  • BugsRight.jpg
    BugsRight.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Sonsie if this horse is a little bit of a drive I'd ask for more pictures of him from the side, front and rear. Have you shown the pictures to your trainer?

I'd also ask for a video clip of him Walk, Trot (Jog), & Canter (Lope) to not only see how he goes, but to get an idea of temperament. That doesn't mean he hasn't been worked prior to video taping or been given something, but it is a good place to start. I'd also show up 30 minutes to an hour early then your appointment to see him prior to them showing him to you. You can learn a lot about the sellers and the horse with an early arrival.

I agree with Devine on the short hoof length.

Good luck and keep us posted on your possible new purchase. :buddies:

devinej

i agree with bz - definitely get more pics and video to show your trainer before you go that far to see him!! and i bet you could find a good one closer too!

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Sonsie if this horse is a little bit of a drive I'd ask for more pictures of him from the side, front and rear. Have you shown the pictures to your trainer?

I'd also ask for a video clip of him Walk, Trot (Jog), & Canter (Lope) to not only see how he goes, but to get an idea of temperament. That doesn't mean he hasn't been worked prior to video taping or been given something, but it is a good place to start. I'd also show up 30 minutes to an hour early then your appointment to see him prior to them showing him to you. You can learn a lot about the sellers and the horse with an early arrival.

I agree with Devine on the short hoof length.

Good luck and keep us posted on your possible new purchase. :buddies:

I forwarded the pics to her, she only gets email late at the end of the day. The days of a pro trainer are waaaaay too labor intensive and long for me! It's only an hour and a half away thankfully, not too far to haul her out with a little notice. I asked about video but they didn't have a clue about how to upload or edit and deal with it. I've been looking at horses for months now, I've been lied to, put up on dangerous horses, and been given the hard sell a few times now. Hopefully like with my horse these guys are the real deal.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I agree with Devine and BZ I have a Hancock bred mare and she has alot better conformation than him. He isn't well built conformation wise. Nice looking and YES those feet are either cut short or he has small feet which will cause problems, My mare is a little on the lazy side also. But she is also very smart. If your going to use him for trial riding pretty is as pretty does. I would buy him for a trail horse. Are U in San Antonio? My other half is from the hill country. Bandera area..
This is Dallie at 2 yrs ad the dun mare is her dam and she was bred to a blue roan hancock bred stallion. Dallie is reg. as a grulla but looks more blue roanish in the summer.
Dallieinstall.jpg

Dallieface.jpg

dun26.jpg

devinej

yep for a trail horse, i'd be more interested in good brains and good behavior than what color he is, perfect conformation, and what is his breeding. the fact he's been used to work cattle, i'd say, is your biggest plus on this horse

Cowgirl

If your going to use him for trial riding pretty is as pretty does.

:yeahthat: As long as there's nothing glaring that could make him break down and become lame, conformation doesn't much matter. It's not like he'll ever be bred. :lmao: Besides, it doesn't sound much like you're going to be riding the heck out of him. His shoulder doesn't look straight enough to cause a very uncomfortable ride. I'd say his conformation is fine for his intended use. :cheers:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I agree with Devine and BZ I have a Hancock bred mare and she has alot better conformation than him. He isn't well built conformation wise. Nice looking and YES those feet are either cut short or he has small feet which will cause problems, My mare is a little on the lazy side also. But she is also very smart. If your going to use him for trial riding pretty is as pretty does. I would buy him for a trail horse. Are U in San Antonio? My other half is from the hill country. Bandera area..
This is Dallie at 2 yrs ad the dun mare is her dam and she was bred to a blue roan hancock bred stallion. Dallie is reg. as a grulla but looks more blue roanish in the summer.
Dallieinstall.jpg

Dallieface.jpg

dun26.jpg

I'm a bit east of San Antonio, Bandera is a bit of a haul but not too far. I blasted out there early this morning to see him in person before hauling out my trainer. The pics didn't do him justice, even with his winter coat he's a pretty boy. His feet looked longer than in the pics and he wasn't tender or touchy about them. He has GREAT manners, ground ties extremely well, and is responsive with good brakes. The owner lets his 7 year old daughter ride him around the pasture. When I mounted up he looked back at me for a minute then packed me around the arena and fields in a workmanlike way with no fuss or bother. I really liked how calm and stable he was. He wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere and it took a bit of leg to get him into a canter but I can deal with that. He dosen't have the higher energy level my other horse has but as hubby will be riding this one mostly that is fine. I'm going to start some lessons to freshen up my rather dusty riding skills and I'll make sure he gets some time with me under the trainer's watchfull eye too. Of course this is all pending the trainer's ok, then the vet check. I have a good feeling about this horse, he really had a nice gentle calm way about him. It's hard to find that in a horse that also looks good without paying a lot more than I want to for a trail horse.

BZHorseMomE

I'm a bit east of San Antonio, Bandera is a bit of a haul but not too far. I blasted out there early this morning to see him in person before hauling out my trainer. The pics didn't do him justice, even with his winter coat he's a pretty boy. His feet looked longer than in the pics and he wasn't tender or touchy about them. He has GREAT manners, ground ties extremely well, and is responsive with good brakes. The owner lets his 7 year old daughter ride him around the pasture. When I mounted up he looked back at me for a minute then packed me around the arena and fields in a workmanlike way with no fuss or bother. I really liked how calm and stable he was. He wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere and it took a bit of leg to get him into a canter but I can deal with that. He dosen't have the higher energy level my other horse has but as hubby will be riding this one mostly that is fine. I'm going to start some lessons to freshen up my rather dusty riding skills and I'll make sure he gets some time with me under the trainer's watchfull eye too. Of course this is all pending the trainer's ok, then the vet check. I have a good feeling about this horse, he really had a nice gentle calm way about him. It's hard to find that in a horse that also looks good without paying a lot more than I want to for a trail horse.

Sonsie that is so exciting. Let us know how the vetting goes and please attach pictures when you get him home. :dye:

mingiz

Horse Poor

Sounds like your going to buy him....:killingme Good Luck

SugarNSpikes

I forwarded the pics to her, she only gets email late at the end of the day. The days of a pro trainer are waaaaay too labor intensive and long for me! It's only an hour and a half away thankfully, not too far to haul her out with a little notice. I asked about video but they didn't have a clue about how to upload or edit and deal with it. I've been looking at horses for months now, I've been lied to, put up on dangerous horses, and been given the hard sell a few times now. Hopefully like with my horse these guys are the real deal.

Hey, good luck with the horse shopping. The buckskin is absolutely gorgeous - wish I had one. And that's the unfortunate part of the horse business - the people out to make a buck. We've all had our share of those people.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Well the boys got introduced yesterday and are best pals already. What a pretty pair of trailhorses. We discovered we need a bigger horsetrailer when loading the boys up, they were like sardines in a 7ft tall 2 horse slant load. Cha-ching :mad:

Attachments

• Bugs & Scooter 1.jpg
    Bugs & Scooter 1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Bugs & Scooter 2.jpg
    Bugs & Scooter 2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 121

BZHorseMomE

Well the boys got introduced yesterday and are best pals already. What a pretty pair of trailhorses. We discovered we need a bigger horsetrailer when loading the boys up, they were like sardines in a 7ft tall 2 horse slant load. Cha-ching :mad:

Awwww, Congrats!!!!:howdy:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I jumped the gun posting he was mine it seems. The sale was pending a pre-purchase exam. It didn't go so well unfortunately.

This young horse had never worn shoes and his hooves looked great but my trainer noticed he was slightly tender footed in the front when asked for speed. However with no shoes on and on hard Texas ground it didn't seem unusual or bad. He was fine on my sandy land. We both thought shoes on in front would correct any tenderness he had on hard ground. The pre-purchase exam done at a serious equine facility that specializes in sport horses turned up problems though. The vet noticed he was responsive on both fores to heel compression and recommended we shoot film of both hooves.

It turned out this young horse has permanent damage and bone changes to both hooves due to the barefoot trims he had been given by a recommended barefoot farrier. The vet pointed out the horse had permanent bone changes to both coffin bones and not nearly enough sole and not enough heel. He also had side bone issues the vet didn't like the looks of and his coffin bone was parallel to the ground and not properly angled at all.

Now this horse had only been under saddle really for the last six months and hadn't been ridden hard at all. The vet felt that all his hoof problems were from the barefoot farrier and years of overzealous barefoot trimming. There was nothing evident from a visual inspection, only the radiological film showed the damage. The vet thought he might be able to make a full recovery but he couldn't be sure.
Thankfully I spent the money on a really professional exam and didn't just assume such a young horse would be completely sound. Unfortunately I didn't want to take the risk and he had to go back home. I really liked him and it's a shame he didn't work out. The pasture seems a little empty without the big lug. :frown: