Conformation question

mingiz

Horse Poor
Awww so sorry to hear that. But better that you found out early. You'll find your dream horse. There are to many out there not too.....:buddies:

devinej

aww i'm so sorry to hear that. i do remember pointing out how short his feet looked in the photo. barefoot trimming...hmmm.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
aww i'm so sorry to hear that. i do remember pointing out how short his feet looked in the photo. barefoot trimming...hmmm.
This isn't a "barefoot trimming" issue, it's an issue with someone trimming a hoof to what they "think" it should be rather than what the hoof is telling them unfortunately. The same thing can happen when a horse is being shod on incorrect planes.

I wouldnt' throw the baby out with the bathwater! I'm fairly sure a good trimmer can get him back into shape sonsie, he's very young. if you like him this much, perhaps you can do a 1 year free lease, while getting him back into the correct planes? It will take about 8 months for the normal hoof wall to grow back out (with good basic nutrition and no dietary imbalances like tons of grain that would cause laminitis or blowouts). But the key is finding a GOOD farrier who will work with the horse's conformation.

We swear by barefoot trimming done by someone who knows how to trim correctly. While waiting, use a good pair of boots. Not shoes.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
would that plan work even with changes to the coffin bone?

Pete Ramey (hubby is apprenticing under him) says absolutely. Once you get the hoof into proper position, it naturally falls into place. And this one is young, that's too his advantage.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
It's a done deal already. I was willing to keep him for a few months to work with the hoof issues and see if they could be cleared up but the current owner got a bit huffy and is in denial about the horse's problems even after getting the xrays and pre-purchase eval from my vet. I'm wasn't willing to risk outright buying him with the lameness issues and the current owner didn't want to play ball with me. So now once more I'm back on the horse hunt and he can hope the next potential buyer isn't so careful.
The only good thing about this is that the market is flooded with horses around here right now. With a little patience I should be able to get a good deal on the right horse. I'm feeling rushed somewhat because this is the only time of year you can actually ride a horse down here and not melt from the extreme heat. By May/June it's too hot to breath outside. :hot:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I wouldn't buy him now knowing he has issues with the thin soles and coffin bone. Been there.... Once the damage is done it's done, no trimming will make it better. No farrier can do that if he tells you he can he's full of it...JMO

Cowgirl

I wouldn't buy him now knowing he has issues with the thin soles and coffin bone. Been there.... Once the damage is done it's done, no trimming will make it better. No farrier can do that if he tells you he can he's full of it...JMO

You should read this blog post. Towards the bottom she posts links to a few before and after stories. It's pretty interesting to see the horse that's back to competing in Grand Prix level dressage after his coffin bone penetrated his sole.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Sonsie I'm so sorry things didn't work out with this guy. Hope you find something really soon. Hoof and lameness problems can be fixed, but for the time and money you would have invested buying an unsound horse they would have had to give the horse to you. Then there is the unknown of whether the outcome will be possitive or negative even if you kept him and did the corrective work. I'm sure it was a hard decision to make Sonsie, but hopefully this guy will get the help he needs to correct his feet. It just shouldn't be on your dime.

Cowgirl that is a great story. Therapeutic Horseshoeing

Last edited:

appaholic

Sonsie I'm so sorry things didn't work out with this guy. Hope you find something really soon. Hoof and lameness problems can be fixed, but for the time and money you would have invested buying an unsound horse they would have had to give the horse to you. Then there is the unknown of whether the outcome will be possitive or negative even if you kept him and did the corrective work. I'm sure it was a hard decision to make Sonsie, but hopefully this guy will get the help he needs to correct his feet. It just shouldn't be on your dime.

Cowgirl that is a great story. Therapeutic Horseshoeing
I feel the same way I will never willing go down that road again! After working with a great team of professionals who had help other equine athletes return to top level events and over 10k I still had to put the gelding down! So even with the very best care sometimes the horse will NEVER return to soundness!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
happy appy, does your trimmer want to look at my horse's hooves?
My (most of the time) farrier is my hubby :lol:
We've still been using Tim Hamilton, on several, as a just in case...which now happens to be the case. Hubby was severely injured while helping a fellow lift some telephone poles, so he's out of commission for another 6 months.

Devine, Sheila Montgomery is an EXCELLENT trouble shooting farrier, and has taught hubby a LOT. 202-437-7970
Sonsie, I'm sorry you lost out on a good horse, but glad you took the time to check him out pre-purchase.

Last edited: