Congress needs to make a law

limblips

PREMO Member
Biden says Congress needs to make a law on Roe V Wade. I guess Joe (who was once chairman of the Judiciary Committee) doesn't understand how it works.

President Biden on Friday urged Congress to restore the abortion protections of Roe v. Wade by codifying abortion rights into federal law after the Supreme Court Friday overturned the landmark decision,

stgislander

PREMO Member
That's how it's supposed to work. The Dems almost had a bill, but Manchin had issues with it. If it's that important, go back to the drawing board and make it palatible to Joe or one of the squishy Reps.

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

But wait - if there is a federal law, won’t that go to the Supreme Court and be struck down?
Well. That's exactly what should happen. I never saw so many people so anxious to allow murder of the weakest of human beings. certainly women have right. Right to use contraception ,tubal legations, even just say no. Why this horrible need for murder.

Reactions: TPD

limblips

PREMO Member
That's how it's supposed to work. The Dems almost had a bill, but Manchin had issues with it. If it's that important, go back to the drawing board and make it palatible to Joe or one of the squishy Reps.
Nope. The SCOTUS said it has no basis in the Constitution so it cannot be made Federal law. It can only be made in to law at the state level per the 10th A.

22AcaciaAve

Well. That's exactly what should happen. I never saw so many people so anxious to allow murder of the weakest of human beings. certainly women have right. Right to use contraception ,tubal legations, even just say no. Why this horrible need for murder.

Yeah, I get all of that. But what about women that are raped and incest? Red states are saying no exceptions. Is that really right, or extremist? I don't like abortion, but I I think it is despicable to make someone who is the victim or a violent sexual act carry a baby they never had a chance to prevent through contraception for a full term. And then there are some republicans that are saying conception is wrong. I'm sorry, I can no longer support a party if it has gone that far to the extreme. I've criticized democrats for going to the extreme to pacify their progressive idiots, I can't look the other way when republicans do the same.

I'm a conservative on fiscal values, I really don't care that much on social issues. What do I care if people in the inner cities are able to get abortions? I don't want to pay for them, but then if their kids are born and they don't parent them correctly, I am still going to pay for them in some way. And innocent people end up paying for that mistake with their lives when they become thugs that kill them.

In a perfect world, every child brought into the world would be loved and wanted. That just isn't the case today. I just can't go along with this. Like I said, I don't like abortion, it has never happened in my family, but I'm tired of dealing with so many unwanted kids in society that we all end up paying for in one way or another.

That said, I do agree with the technicality of the decision. There is no basis in the constitution to guarantee abortion rights on a federal level. So the democrats have the presidency, the senate, and the house. If they really want to legislate this, they can. They will need to kill the filibuster to do so, but they do have the opportunity. Let's see if they have the balls to do it. I doubt it. But if they really want to do it, they can change the rules of the senate and put a law in place. Of course, that would leave them open to some of their things being overturned. It will be interesting to see the next chess move.

I wonder how many independents this decision has lost? The red wave was going to overwhelm Biden and the democrats. Now I am not so sure. I still think it will be there,, just not as big. The SCOTUS just gave democrats a reason to show up at the polls in November. And you can bet they are going to milk it big time.

phreddyp

Yeah, I get all of that. But what about women that are raped and incest? Red states are saying no exceptions. Is that really right, or extremist? I don't like abortion, but I I think it is despicable to make someone who is the victim or a violent sexual act carry a baby they never had a chance to prevent through contraception for a full term. And then there are some republicans that are saying conception is wrong. I'm sorry, I can no longer support a party if it has gone that far to the extreme. I've criticized democrats for going to the extreme to pacify their progressive idiots, I can't look the other way when republicans do the same.

I'm a conservative on fiscal values, I really don't care that much on social issues. What do I care if people in the inner cities are able to get abortions? I don't want to pay for them, but then if their kids are born and they don't parent them correctly, I am still going to pay for them in some way. And innocent people end up paying for that mistake with their lives when they become thugs that kill them.

In a perfect world, every child brought into the world would be loved and wanted. That just isn't the case today. I just can't go along with this. Like I said, I don't like abortion, it has never happened in my family, but I'm tired of dealing with so many unwanted kids in society that we all end up paying for in one way or another.

That said, I do agree with the technicality of the decision. There is no basis in the constitution to guarantee abortion rights on a federal level. So the democrats have the presidency, the senate, and the house. If they really want to legislate this, they can. They will need to kill the filibuster to do so, but they do have the opportunity. Let's see if they have the balls to do it. I doubt it. But if they really want to do it, they can change the rules of the senate and put a law in place. Of course, that would leave them open to some of their things being overturned. It will be interesting to see the next chess move.

I wonder how many independents this decision has lost? The red wave was going to overwhelm Biden and the democrats. Now I am not so sure. I still think it will be there,, just not as big. The SCOTUS just gave democrats a reason to show up at the polls in November. And you can bet they are going to milk it big time.
Why are you ragging on independents ? Don't you realize that they have figured out that both parties are full of crap. They figured this out early, do you actually believe that these people are too stupid to understand how our Republic works.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yeah, I get all of that. But what about women that are raped and incest? Red states are saying no exceptions. Is that really right, or extremist?
Red states? Which states are these that are saying "no exceptions"?

glhs837

Power with Control
Why would any woman raped not take the "morning after pill" (and screening for STD) to prevent pregnancy from occurring is beyond me.

I concur on that point, but I also cant pretend to know how a brain handles that trauma.

BOP

So even with those there is an exception, right?
What's the point you're trying to make, Ken? That a very narrow exception or range of exceptions for specific conditions means that abortions aren't really illegal?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What's the point you're trying to make, Ken? That a very narrow exception or range of exceptions for specific conditions means that abortions aren't really illegal?
Well if someone says there are "NO EXCEPTIONS" then there shouldn't be any, right?

Hijinx

Everybody has a car. Drive to a state that approves of murdering your kids and get rid of it.
Abortions are not illegal everywhere. It's up to the individual states, and more then likely now that they are forced into it a lot of states will be changing their laws on it.

It's just another transition.