Congress passes funeral protest ban.

J

juggy4805

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Demonstrators would be barred from disrupting military funerals at national cemeteries under legislation approved by Congress and sent to the White House.

Click Here

Do you agree with this act of congress? Do you feel this church's civil rights are being violated?

Just for info here is the leader of that church. Actually leader of that cult.
Fred Phelps

Vince

Demonstrators would be barred from disrupting military funerals at national cemeteries under legislation approved by Congress and sent to the White House.

I don't think they went far enough with the law. Instead of banning those idiots from just the national cemeteries, they should have made the law for all cemeteries.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Vince said:
I don't think they went far enough with the law. Instead of banning those idiots from just the national cemeteries, they should have made the law for all cemeteries.
:yeahthat:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It doesn't go far enough, only covers national cemetaries. A lot of vets get buried in family plots. There are several members of my riding club that are also Patriot Guard members and have been on missions in the area. I personally think that any one showing up at a funeral carrying signs saying "your son is dead because God hates you" should be horsewhipped.

J

juggy4805

It is crazy that our Armed Forces are protecting these nutjob's right to free speech. Isn't that like biting the hand that feeds you. :shrug:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
juggy4805 said:
It is crazy that our Armed Forces are protecting these nutjob's right to free speech. Isn't that like biting the hand that feeds you. :shrug:
Yes it is, but that's the way it works right now. There should be legisation barring from all funerals, all cemetaries, military or not. The death and funeral of someone is not the place to make a point. Cindy Sheehan might even agree with that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
There should be legisation barring from all funerals, all cemetaries, military or not. The death and funeral of someone is not the place to make a point.
:thewave:

If people won't act right on their own, you have to force them. But really, did you ever think Congress would have to pass a law that said people cannot protest and disrupt funerals? :shakeshead:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Protest at the funeral of somebody I love and see what happens. You sure as hell won't be thinking of holding a sign up and I'll damn well change the tune your yelling.

Know what I mean Vern?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is BS...

..you can't ban these people from being hatefilled azzhats.

All one need do is be understanding when the fists start flying. If you wanna open you mouth and agitate, by all means. Just allow me to be...agitated.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Lugnut said:
Protest at the funeral of somebody I love and see what happens. You sure as hell won't be thinking of holding a sign up and I'll damn well change the tune your yelling.

Know what I mean Vern?
I know you'd be in jail for assault. The Patriot Guard would line up between the funeral and the protesters, bolcking both groups from viewing the other. A couple of open pipe Harleys at a high idle is all it taks to drown them out.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Private cemeteries already have the right to ban whoever they want. They are private. They don't need to allow anyone free speech rights because they are a business.

morganj614

Lugnut said:

Know what I mean Vern?

Part of my sons duty right now is notifying families of their childs death, accompanying the bodies and helping with the funerals. It's a terrible thing to have to do. He hates the fact there is a war, he hates having to do what he does but he does it because he's proud to serve and it's his job.
Thankfully, this will make it easier on those who are having to deal with death.
There is a time and place for everything and a funeral is not that time or place. :patriot:

Angel

~*~*~
morganj614 said:
There is a time and place for everything and a funeral is not that time or place. :patriot:
:yeahthat: I cannot believe that people think it's okay to protest at a funeral. Heaven forbid some protestors pull that crap at a funeral of one of my loved ones!

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
aps45819 said:
I know you'd be in jail for assault.

That's probably true.

I think it's a matter of accountability. People protest at funerals and do all sorts of very rude things to others because they know they will not be held accountable for their actions or have to face any consequences.

I'm a pretty good guy, I don't go looking for conflict. But I stand by my statements above.

Tidewater

I think the intrusion of a protest at a funeral is a hideous violation to the bereaved. Any protesting should be banned, not just from military funerals but for all -- they had planned one over here this week, but opted to back out of it at the last minute.

This isn't just bad taste or bad manners, it truly is an affront to the deceased and those who are grieving. I don't care if the protesters feel it is their 'right' to act in such a way ten feet away....

If they want to protest, I think a good 100 mile radius as a barrier ought to be a safe enough distance, sanctioned ONLY at the nearest public landfill site outside that 100 mile radius--on an especially HOT day. Perhaps then, about thigh deep in rotting garbage and rats, the protesters will gain a whiff of understanding of what is happening to their logic.

:burning:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
FromTexas said:
Private cemeteries already have the right to ban whoever they want. They are private. They don't need to allow anyone free speech rights because they are a business.
they all are accesed by public roads, They can stand just outside the entrance.