Conidering picking up a new toy, help me decide!

smoothmarine187

Lugnut said:
So I'm suffering from fun withdrawls I replaced an outstanding car with a sportbike and whie it's fun it's not ENOUGH fun.

I'm thinking of building up another car. This time I have in mind something small, light (sub 3000Lb's) and rear wheel drive.

What are my options?

RX7?
Miata?
Supra?
Chevette?
Pinto?

:shrug:

Help me out fellow gear heads...

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, and what generation RX7 or Supra you are talking about. The stupid fast and furious movies jacked the prices of Supras through the roof, unless you are talking about the 1st gen Supras, you can get those pretty cheap. I would stay a mile away from a miata, you will have gay guys following you everywhere in one of those. My choice would be the RX7, even the older models look pretty good.

Lilypad

Through an estate sale, I recently acquired a 1970 Datsun 240Z-my partner and I have out work cut out for us, mechanically the car is sound, it was involved in a fire, so everything from the firewall back is hurting.
Gonna be a great winter project!

Lamini

look into Subaru WRX STi.

300hp/300torque stock

go stage 2, and its another 60-70hp, and nearly 100torque for just putting a turbo back exhaust and engine management (<$1,500 new). best of all, its:
- lightweight
- dear god do we need another mustang on the road? there are probably 2-3 STi's in the area where I live, i see more vipers.
- all your power is going to the wheels. its very difficult to get the STi to slip since its full time all wheel drive.
- this is a performance car, not luxury, but it aint a honda. ride is kinda rough. but the handling + boxer engine rule. this car is better on the track than on the drag strip, but you have options in this car.
- this car can take a beating. you can get a wrx (or any honda), but you'll run into the i need a new transmission, or clutch, etc problems after running down the strip for a while (thus the price tag on the car, STi has only quality parts). the way the trend goes, by the time you mod up your typical cheap ride, it will have the price tag of an STi. the 06+ STi's are in upper 20k

Last edited:

luckystar07

count your blessings
Lamini said:
- dear god do we need another mustang on the road? there are probably 2-3 STi's in the area where I live, i see more vipers.
-

Come to lexington park then... there are TONS of STis

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I don't want a cookie cutter.

No mustangs, camaros, or anything that has a "Stage 2" package available off the shelf.

I'm thinking engine swap, forced induction, franken-cars!

400+HP turbocharged ecotec dropped in a 1989 Chevette...

Turbo 3.8 in an MGB...

LS1 in an RX-7...

You know, something you DON'T see very single day.

smoothmarine187

Lugnut said:
I don't want a cookie cutter.

No mustangs, camaros, or anything that has a "Stage 2" package available off the shelf.

I'm thinking engine swap, forced induction, franken-cars!

400+HP turbocharged ecotec dropped in a 1989 Chevette...

Turbo 3.8 in an MGB...

LS1 in an RX-7...

You know, something you DON'T see very single day.

If you want to do something impressive, then get the RX-7 and drop a 3 rotor in it! Those things are monsters.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
slotted said:
Or drop a 2 stoke into a GSXR. :whistle:

Already HAVE a moto-sickle. It's fun but just not the same kind of fun a car is.

I've ben doing a little reading on the GM Ecotec 4cyl motor. That's a REALLY nice base to build a power plant for a small car. Kind of leaning that direction for now...

R

RadioPatrol

Lugnut said:
So I'm suffering from fun withdrawls I replaced an outstanding car with a sportbike and whie it's fun it's not ENOUGH fun.

I'm thinking of building up another car. This time I have in mind something small, light (sub 3000Lb's) and rear wheel drive.

What are my options?

RX7?
Miata?
Supra?
Chevette?
Pinto?

Stacy David - formerly of Trucks , now Gearz on ESPN put a 302 400hp in a Mita then put on a body kit that made it look like a early Fer. Daytona, Jag XKE ........ Cobra

requires a free reg to watch past shows online

http://www.gearztv.com/index.php?em2044=125678_-1__0_~0_-1_9_2007_0_0&content=shows

USCGuy

Lugnut said:

What are my options?

RX7?
Miata?
Supra?
Chevette?
Pinto?

If I were you, out of all of them. The Supra is definitely the most powerful. You can buy motors off of www.suprastore.com and they reach 1500rwhp. Second, the RX-7 has a rotary motor and has to be replaced around 100,000 miles. Depending on what you want, a machine of power or something that will destroy everything around the twisties. I'd go for the Miata, they will out handle most of the cars out there. Plus, you could always turbo the motor and have a nice little bit of power to work with, and a plus with those cars is that they only weigh about 2200lbs. A nice lightweight car that will move, when you dip into the motor. Good luck with your decision!

USCGuy

Lamini said:
look into Subaru WRX STi.

300hp/300torque stock

go stage 2, and its another 60-70hp, and nearly 100torque for just putting a turbo back exhaust and engine management (<$1,500 new). best of all, its:
- lightweight
- all your power is going to the wheels. its very difficult to get the STi to slip since its full time all wheel drive.
- this is a performance car, not luxury, but it aint a honda. ride is kinda rough. but the handling + boxer engine rule. this car is better on the track than on the drag strip, but you have options in this car.
- this car can take a beating. you can get a wrx (or any honda), but you'll run into the i need a new transmission, or clutch, etc problems after running down the strip for a while (thus the price tag on the car, STi has only quality parts). the way the trend goes, by the time you mod up your typical cheap ride, it will have the price tag of an STi. the 06+ STi's are in upper 20k

No offense, but I'd rather have the Lancer Evolution over the STi. I've driven STi's and Evo's, and I much like the EVO more. With a new ECU and turboback exhaust you will make 300whp. Whereas you do the same things to the STi and make less power. I don't know where you got the idea the the STi is lightweight but it for surely isn't light, all 3200 pounds of it. Honestly, the EVO motor is alot more compatible to modifications rather than the Subaru.

smoothmarine187

USCGuy said:
No offense, but I'd rather have the Lancer Evolution over the STi. I've driven STi's and Evo's, and I much like the EVO more. With an ECU flash and turboback exhaust you will make 300whp. Whereas you do the same things to the STi and make less power. I don't know where you got the idea the the STi is lightweight but it for surely isn't light, all 3200 pounds of it. Honestly, the EVO motor is alot more compatible to modifications rather than the Subaru.

:yeahthat: