Considering a Utility trailer

Hessian

I suppose My first concern is not cost, or even manufacturer. My first puzzle: what about License plate & insurance?
I don't need a deck rated above 1000 lbs...and length: less than 8 feet. So, what kind of bureaucracy will I have to deal with for a simple utility trailer?

Experiences? Suggestions?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
IF you buy it new, you simply pay the registration fee every two years to keep a plate on it. If you buy used, you have a one-time inspection (tires, bearings, lights and overall structural integrity) to have done and then just tag renewal from there on. Inspection shops that have the "T" on their MD inspection sign will do the trailer inspection for you. I've had many done at Cheseldine's in California.

glhs837

Power with Control
Say you buy it in Lowes, they give you paperwork to take to the MVA, they give you plates and such, then you take that back to Lowes and they give you the trailer. I got mine a while back, maybe six or so years. About 5x8, thing has been a lifesaver, paid me back the $600 it cost many times over through saved money I would have paid for rentals or having others haul stuff for me. Lumber, block, my riding mower, going to WV to buy my motorcycle. Hauls the kayaks around too. It costs around $700 now, it seems.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_100369-1547...&CAWELAID=1072249884&kpid=3005264&CAGPSPN=pla

One thing to do is line the floor with 1/2 inch or better plywood, spreads the load, saves wear and tear on the mesh floor. Also, you must get a third wheel from Wally World. Makes moving and hooking up so muach easier.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Swivel-Mount-Trailer-Jack/15125801

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Say you buy it in Lowes, they give you paperwork to take to the MVA, they give you plates and such, then you take that back to Lowes and they give you the trailer. I got mine a while back, maybe six or so years. About 5x8, thing has been a lifesaver, paid me back the $600 it cost many times over through saved money I would have paid for rentals or having others haul stuff for me. Lumber, block, my riding mower, going to WV to buy my motorcycle. Hauls the kayaks around too. It costs around $700 now, it seems.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_100369-1547...&CAWELAID=1072249884&kpid=3005264&CAGPSPN=pla

One thing to do is line the floor with 1/2 inch or better plywood, spreads the load, saves wear and tear on the mesh floor. Also, you must get a third wheel from Wally World. Makes moving and hooking up so muach easier.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Swivel-Mount-Trailer-Jack/15125801

:yeahthat: Also a little food for thought, trailers sit there at Lowe's for long periods of time and the prices are not set in stone. Go ask customer service for a manager that handles the trailers and make an offer, haggle with them a bit and get a better price for yourself. I bought a 6x10 a couple of years ago, new price $1100.00 made an offer of $900.00 and that's what I paid minus taxes and tags.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Going to go that route on our 34' 20,000# gooseneck dovetail when renewal time comes around again. MD cost has gotten ridiculous and we use it about twice a year.

I agree, the cost seems to be ever escalating. My car hauler tags are getting to be way too expensive for a trailer used 6-8 times a year.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Can you register stuff in Maine without an address or being a resident?

Yes. That's the whole point. Maine uses their motor vehicle administration as a state-run business to generate revenue. Maine is also one of the few states through which "title-less" vehicles can be re-titled...I've had two classics titled that way. Not cheap but sometimes the only way.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Yes. That's the whole point. Maine uses their motor vehicle administration as a state-run business to generate revenue. Maine is also one of the few states through which "title-less" vehicles can be re-titled...I've had two classics titled that way. Not cheap but sometimes the only way.

I have seriously wondered for-eh-verrr why I see so many trailers with Maine tags hitched to non-Maine plated vehicles! I learned something new today :nerd:

abcxyz

Can you register stuff in Maine without an address or being a resident? or would you have to have a friend and use their address?

Yes, you can register your stuff without being a Maine resident. It can all be done online and I use my home (La Plata, MD) address.

5 years for $99 and only $50 more if you need a title. Only trailers that weigh over 3000 pounds empty need titles in Maine.

mdff21

Yes, you can register your stuff without being a Maine resident. It can all be done online and I use my home (La Plata, MD) address.

5 years for $99 and only $50 more if you need a title. Only trailers that weigh over 3000 pounds empty need titles in Maine.

I go through an agency that does everything for you. It's called Staab Agency, and I have not had any problems going through them.

Hessian

I knew my SoMd posters know the ins & outs of this...well done! Time to check northern tools for a kit.---Hessian

Hijinx

Well, if you are looking at the 5x8 class, this kit is $200 cheaper, but you get no decking, no siderails, no ramp, and you have to use your time to make those things happen, and the time and money to go get it inspected. In this class, anyway, an all-up-round from Lowes makes more sense.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3g73sXDl50oHYGxtTjM23cGQAnrXNj0e_MaAqLa8P8HAQ

No one mentioned this, but your car insurance covers the trailer. The car it is hooked to is the responsible party./

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Maine is also one of the few states through which "title-less" vehicles can be re-titled...I've had two classics titled that way. Not cheap but sometimes the only way.

what did that cost .... Tenn you can take a rubbing in of the 'data plate' and get a title / registration ... but there is a 3 yr hold, before it is 100% yours in case someone comes forward with a claim it was stolen

H

Hodr

I built my own trailer in Arizona and I think I paid around $50 for a lifetime registration. The only tricky part was when they kept insisting that I needed to provide a make/model or VIN. I scratched my phone number in the side, told them that was the make/model and vin.

The reason I brought that up is that I left the thing in Arizona when I moved here, because the MVA person I spoke with told me that as a permanent resident if I was ever in an accident with an out of state licensed trailer that my insurance would likely not cover it, and that the state would fine me.

Is that not true?

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Well, if you are looking at the 5x8 class, this kit is $200 cheaper, but you get no decking, no siderails, no ramp, and you have to use your time to make those things happen, and the time and money to go get it inspected. In this class, anyway, an all-up-round from Lowes makes more sense.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3g73sXDl50oHYGxtTjM23cGQAnrXNj0e_MaAqLa8P8HAQ

I found a 4x8 like this on Craigslist that was not built. I picked it up for $200 and built the little guy. Not a bad little trailer, until you realize that it is not wide enough to put a riding mower on unless you remove the deck. :doh: