Considering moving to Shady Side

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good to know. And yes, we drove around Deale as well. It's a cute little town, and we saw a number of restaurants.

We're looking at buying in Avalon Shores, Idlewilde, or maybe Cedarhurst. Cedar Point is beautiful but likely exceeds our budget.
Yes, Deale has several excellent restaurants. I used to have a boat in a slip across from Happy Harbor restaurant...a favorite spot to eat.

Deale and North Beach were run-down sh!tholes 50 years ago...sure wish I'd bought property in either place when they were practically giving it away!

Kinnakeet

I guess if you are moving from NE DC or the 1300 block of Clifton St [ notorious crime are in the 90's ] Shady Side might be an improvement ....

you could probably do a web search for Shady Side Crime Statistics ... but even Fort Washington / National Harbor is getting bad these days
Democrat ran state and hey let the Negros do what they want.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yes, Deale has several excellent restaurants. I used to have a boat in a slip across from Happy Harbor restaurant...a favorite spot to eat.

Deale and North Beach were run-down sh!tholes 50 years ago...sure wish I'd bought property in either place when they were practically giving it away!
According to realtors they're still giving it away. Honest to Christ I've never seen so many people overpaying for anything like they are here since I was in the Navy.
When I say "overpaying" I'm talking 50% over comparables and assessment. Just had one sell near me that was listed at $120K over the highest comparable and it went for over list. Hundred year old beach house on a 25X150 lot, no off street parking.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
According to realtors they're still giving it away. Honest to Christ I've never seen so many people overpaying for anything like they are here since I was in the Navy.
When I say "overpaying" I'm talking 50% over comparables and assessment. Just had one sell near me that was listed at $120K over the highest comparable and it went for over list. Hundred year old beach house on a 25X150 lot, no off street parking.
I remember when run-down "houses" looking across the road to the beach and water, downtown Nof Beesh, could be had for 18-20K.

My best friend's family had a bunch of postage-stamp-sized lots in Holland Point, two on the water. Kept in the same family since first bought in the 1920s. The family sold the lot with the house (Sears kit home..and very nice) as well as several of the other lots after the parents passed on. Sold it all to a cousin who had adjoining lots and house. My buddy and one of his brothers still own lots on the road frontage side.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

And as I've said before, I liked both places better then than now. Better class of people.