Copperhead Question

dgates80

Land of the lost
Copperheads? Kill them all and let somebody else sort 'em out. And we're animal people, I am actually more afraid for our dogs than us. Is there anything that can repel or reduce their population? Besides a .22 revolver loaded with snake shot, that is.

mamatutu

mama to two
Copperheads? Kill them all and let somebody else sort 'em out. And we're animal people, I am actually more afraid for our dogs than us. Is there anything that can repel or reduce their population? Besides a .22 revolver loaded with snake shot, that is.

I know. We have killed our share of copperheads over the years. I don't know what possessed me to not kill the baby on the deck. I will never let that happen again. We are getting a new puppy in 3 weeks. I am afraid for her even though I will be taking her out on a leash. Copperheads are hard to see. I watch where I step every time I am in the yard.

Off topic. As I told ff a while back. I will be visiting Pepper's once I get Daisy and run out of supplies that the breeder sends us home with. Looking into your obedience classes, too. Always good to plug a member's biz when I can. :yay:

Last edited:

Riddler

So is this a copperhead? Kid almost stepped on this while fishing off the rocks this morning. :jameo:

Snake.jpg

NextJen

Raisin cane
I am almost positive it's a water snake.

I would agree with you. I believe copperheads have a much more distinct pattern. I've seen several brown water snakes this season and this picture looks a lot like those I've seen.

RPMDAD

Coloring looks off to me for it to be a copperhead, or maybe the photo lighting isn't bright enough.

copperhead.jpg

StanleyRugg

Howdy Ma’am, a bunch of folks have already give you some sage advice about copperheads and most of it is accurate. Bein I am a scientist and a great respector of all things in nature I find serpents interestin. I had a corn snake I kept as a pet named “Slick”. I found Slick out in the barn one morning and decided to keep him cause he was tolerable and handsome. I kept Slick in the trailer in a small fish tank I won at the ST Mary’s county fair years back. The fish died before I got home but luckily for Slick I kept the tank. I had to turn Slick loose cause Momma Rugg discovered him one afternoon when she took my laundry in and stumbled on him. She moved the blanket I covered up the tank with when I was out on account Momma Rugg has a serius dislike for any critter aint got legs or doesn’t blink their eyes every often. When Momma moved that blanket and saw Slick rear up lookin for a cricket she came unleashed. In beating her retreat she kicked over my telescope ruinin months of research on Uranus. She got so scared she ripped the doorknob slap off the door tryin to get out. I heard the screamin and knew what happened so I ran to the porch only to have Momma bounce a half full can of Criso shortnin off my head. I still have a scar. Luckily it was half full or it might a caused brain damage. Bein a scientist my brain is right important.
Anywhoo, copperheads are an ornery critter. As far as snakes go they are poison but not near as poison as rattlers and cotton mouths. Copperheads if you spook em will bite but a lot of the time they wont give you any poison cause they are savin it for huntin and as big as a person is they know they cant eat ya. If you’re a hardhead like my nephew Rod Rugg and keep messin with it it will kindly juice you up on the next bite. Rod will try to tell you a bunch of myths like a copperhead can open the cardoor to bite you. That aint true at all cause a copperhead aint got no thumbs. Rod really believes it though cause one day we were taking Momma’s Cordova to Johnny’s in LaPlata to get new recaps and he ran over a copperhead. While we were sittin there Rod reached up and locked the car door. I said Rodd you goober, that sanke cant open the car door. He said he wasn’t takin no chances.
That’s about all I can tell ya about copperheads. Unless of course you are talkin about the gang of redheads who ran together in a pack around Glasva in the early 1970’s who called themselves the Copperheads. I think one of the Jarboe boys was the leader. They were pretty ornery too but not dangerous as the snake. They fancied themselves as mean. Worse they might do is yank your underwear up or take your soda.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Howdy Ma’am, a bunch of folks have already give you some sage advice about copperheads and most of it is accurate. Bein I am a scientist and a great respector of all things in nature I find serpents interestin. I had a corn snake I kept as a pet named “Slick”. I found Slick out in the barn one morning and decided to keep him cause he was tolerable and handsome. I kept Slick in the trailer in a small fish tank I won at the ST Mary’s county fair years back. The fish died before I got home but luckily for Slick I kept the tank. I had to turn Slick loose cause Momma Rugg discovered him one afternoon when she took my laundry in and stumbled on him. She moved the blanket I covered up the tank with when I was out on account Momma Rugg has a serius dislike for any critter aint got legs or doesn’t blink their eyes every often. When Momma moved that blanket and saw Slick rear up lookin for a cricket she came unleashed. In beating her retreat she kicked over my telescope ruinin months of research on Uranus. She got so scared she ripped the doorknob slap off the door tryin to get out. I heard the screamin and knew what happened so I ran to the porch only to have Momma bounce a half full can of Criso shortnin off my head. I still have a scar. Luckily it was half full or it might a caused brain damage. Bein a scientist my brain is right important.
Anywhoo, copperheads are an ornery critter. As far as snakes go they are poison but not near as poison as rattlers and cotton mouths. Copperheads if you spook em will bite but a lot of the time they wont give you any poison cause they are savin it for huntin and as big as a person is they know they cant eat ya. If you’re a hardhead like my nephew Rod Rugg and keep messin with it it will kindly juice you up on the next bite. Rod will try to tell you a bunch of myths like a copperhead can open the cardoor to bite you. That aint true at all cause a copperhead aint got no thumbs. Rod really believes it though cause one day we were taking Momma’s Cordova to Johnny’s in LaPlata to get new recaps and he ran over a copperhead. While we were sittin there Rod reached up and locked the car door. I said Rodd you goober, that sanke cant open the car door. He said he wasn’t takin no chances.
That’s about all I can tell ya about copperheads. Unless of course you are talkin about the gang of redheads who ran together in a pack around Glasva in the early 1970’s who called themselves the Copperheads. I think one of the Jarboe boys was the leader. They were pretty ornery too but not dangerous as the snake. They fancied themselves as mean. Worse they might do is yank your underwear up or take your soda.

What a happy story!