Copperheads

stgislander

PREMO Member
We have snakeheads in our creek. I was cutting grass along the shoreline this afternoon when I spotted something about 12 inches long just takeoff from the grass into the water really quick like. I assumed it was a snake head but I really don’t know. It was moving fast!
Good eating if it was.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We have snakeheads in our creek. I was cutting grass along the shoreline this afternoon when I spotted something about 12 inches long just takeoff from the grass into the water really quick like. I assumed it was a snake head but I really don’t know. It was moving fast!
👍

stgislander

PREMO Member
I’ve heard that but have not tried any yet. A friend of mine asked if he could go out snake head hunting last night in our creek and I said yeah. He offered some to me but I turned it down
Don't turn it down. I used to get it at Kevin's when the wife and I would go there. I remember him telling us the last time we ate inside (pre-COVID) that it's become so popular up the road that he has a hard time getting it now.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Don't turn it down. I used to get it at Kevin's when the wife and I would go there. I remember him telling us the last time we ate inside (pre-COVID) that it's become so popular up the road that he has a hard time getting it now.
I've seen it for sale in some of the Mom and Pop carry outs in the Dorf.

Maybe I should say Mama and Bebe Daddy carryouts? It is the Dorf ya know.:lol:

PeoplesElbow

Copperheads are pretty docile and generally only strike if you mess with them or step on them by accident.

I think something like 99% of venomous snake bites are from accidentally stepping on a snake or because a drunk person decided to **** with one.

Louise

If you have a wood pile, be careful. We have had copperheads nest in them. We don’t believe in killing creatures unless, absolutely, necessary. The times we have found them in the wood pile, we have knocked it down, and the snakes left.

somdwatch

Round pupils for non venomous
Slit pupils for venomous snakes

It is illegal to kill snakes in Maryland so put the shovel, hoe, shotgun away.
It's illegal to get caught killing snakes in Maryland!

While I don't do it myself, I can understand why some will do it.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Cottonmouths become extremely aggressive during breeding season (July-August). I think they're found further south than MD.
Zekey and Jakey too, but they're usually farther north, around Lancaster PA.

And don't even get me started on those Mennonites.:p

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
What kind of snake is it you see swimming in the water?
In this area it's probably a brown water snake or Northern water snake. Water moccasins on occasion, but you can tell it's a moccasin by the way you can see most of it's body swimming. The non-venomous snakes swim with their bodies submerged. 🤓

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
In this area it's probably a brown water snake or Northern water snake. Water moccasins on occasion, but you can tell it's a moccasin by the way you can see most of it's body swimming. The non-venomous snakes swim with their bodies submerged. 🤓
I've seen snakes in the water floating on the top, zigzagging back and forth and following me.