Cory Booker Introduces Slavery Reparations Bill To Senate

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
How does paying Reparations mitigate Racism?

"This bill is a way of addressing head-on the persistence of racism, white supremacy, and implicit racial bias in our country,"

"Since slavery in this country, we have had overt policies fueled by white supremacy and racism that have oppressed African-Americans economically for generations," Booker added. "Many of our bedrock domestic policies that have ushered millions of Americans into the middle class have systematically excluded blacks through practices like 'G.I. Bill' discrimination and redlining."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/45697/cory-booker-introduces-slavery-reparations-bill-paul-bois

Ooo Hey Dumb Ass ... how about addressing Gun Control Laws, that disarmed Blacks.

Hijinx

I know a lot of Middle Class blacks. I wonder how they made it to Middle Class.
Probably by showing up for work on time and doing their job.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
"This bill is a way of addressing head-on the persistence of racism, white supremacy,

Booker needs to define exactly what white supremacy is. So far it's like the tooth fairy. Perhaps we can mention minority underperformance as the reason for outcome differences. The Asians seem to be doing just fine in the face of the supremacy boogie man.

littlelady

God bless the USA
This whole "reparations" thing is a big steaming crock of sheot, eff them.

Exactly. It is for votes. Period. I thought they got reparations with 40 acres and a mule. And, let us not forget carpetbaggers, or the fact that blacks sold blacks into slavery, and blacks were slave owners, too. Amazing how history gets redacted. Actually, it is sickening. God bless the USA. Also, what is the difference between a donkey, and a mule?

I did learn something, today. https://www.bing.com/search?q=forty...09B6D19FF9463EA750B6DABF2152B3&FORM=QBLH&sp=1

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Booker needs to define exactly what white supremacy is. So far it's like the tooth fairy. Perhaps we can mention minority underperformance as the reason for outcome differences. The Asians seem to be doing just fine in the face of the supremacy boogie man.

And, I have thought for a while that this white supremecy thing is a joke. That is all the Left has left. I don’t feel that I have supremecy over anyone, and I am white with some ethnicities mixed in. Oh, and, everyone on Earth has some portion of black blood. We all came out of Africa. So tired of the crap.

This_person

A) Most of those policies to which Booker refers were spearheaded and pushed hard by Democrats, yet Cory is a Democrat. That seems odd.
B) Slavery was not a federal issue, it was a state issue. Corey should be pushing the states that allowed slavery to pay those reparations.
C) Last I checked, no one alive today was born a slave or is the immediate offspring of slaves. Pretty sure not a single person would qualify to receive reparations based on that problem.
D) There have been far more policies that were detrimental to people than Jim Crow laws. Does he intend on having everyone pay everyone for everything ever done to everyone's ancestors that they may find was detrimental to them? Okay, everybody, turn to the person to your left and give them $100, and take the $100 from the person to your right. We all good now?

limblips

PREMO Member
I hear the rally cry "reparations!" but has anyone explained how this would be accomplished? Cost? Eligibility? Nope, I guess we would have to pass it to see what's in it. Targeting the black lower class vote with a handout.

Hijinx

It isn't hard to explain Booker's definition of white supremacy.

It's what he aint.

The man is a racist of the first water and anyone white-------------he hates.
Not because that person is white, but because Booker isn't.

SamSpade

The problem with reparations is - it doesn't end with reparations.

I mean, there are others. One is, determining what reparation is, monetarily. Is it a permanent stipend, a forever payment from Uncle Sam?
Is it a big cash payment? Who gets it? Blacks, who arrived here long after slavery ended? Does discrimination - which exists around the world -
is it an ethics thing that every nation should consider honoring, since bigotry is worldwide?

And as someone has already observed - what does it change? Does it change how people feel? Does it change people's attitudes?
What does it accomplish, besides a bit of - revenge? What does it "fix"?

The problem with reparations is - it doesn't end with reparations.

I mean, there are others. One is, determining what reparation is, monetarily. Is it a permanent stipend, a forever payment from Uncle Sam?
Is it a big cash payment? Who gets it? Blacks, who arrived here long after slavery ended? Does discrimination - which exists around the world -
is it an ethics thing that every nation should consider honoring, since bigotry is worldwide?

And as someone has already observed - what does it change? Does it change how people feel? Does it change people's attitudes?
What does it accomplish, besides a bit of - revenge? What does it "fix"?
Completely serious question...

Thousands upon thousands of fair skinned Americans died or were maimed fighting for the freedom of all Americans... do their families get waivers?

SamSpade

Completely serious question...

Thousands upon thousands of fair skinned Americans died or were maimed fighting for the freedom of all Americans... do their families get waivers?
What I am getting from the rhetoric is that a heritage of slavery created an environment, a society which if not hostile to African Americans, perpetuates the consequences of bigotry and racism.

So - no. Whites are not currently suffering from or injured by the history of slavery, so half a million of them dying in the Civil War counts for nothing, to say nothing of the ones who suffered afterward.

But we can't change the past. If you grew up in a household where your father beat and molested you, other than sending his ass to jail, no reparation can undo what has happened to you, nor undo its effects. What CAN be done is to fix what's left.

Reparations isn't any of that. As others have said - it just buys votes. Literally.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My understanding is that the bill Booker submitted just says Congress will explore reparations. There is no plan laid out or even suggestions as to how they should proceed. It's a bill that says they'll talk about it. So they'll all vote on it, then forget it.

It's just grandstanding, that's all.