Cory Booker Introduces Slavery Reparations Bill To Senate

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
And as someone has already observed - what does it change? Does it change how people feel? Does it change people's attitudes?
What does it accomplish, besides a bit of - revenge? What does it "fix"?

It is suppose to fix the economic imbalance. Minority families don't have as much savings and inheritence as whites. So somehow a lump sum of uncle sugar bucks will fix all that. I suggest those struggling to emulate those that are doing well. Things like stay in school, don't do drugs, don't have kids out of wedlock, live within your means, save for a rainy day, take your job serious, etc. Those traits have raised up millions of US lower class citizens of all races.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I will suggest that "reparations" is more about white/elite liberals feeling good about themselves than doing anything to benefit black families. "See me doing something for the little people? Oh, Carmelita, you missed a spot, dear..."

Is Cory Booker going to get a check? How about Kamala Harris? Should Sasha and Malia Obama get paid? They have been so horribly oppressed by white America and can't get ahead due to racism - shouldn't they get some money for that?

How about that white girl from a single parent home struggling to make ends meet while she gets her education? How much should she have to give Malia Obama to make up for slavery 150 years ago?

glhs837

Power with Control
My understanding is that the bill Booker submitted just says Congress will explore reparations. There is no plan laid out or even suggestions as to how they should proceed. It's a bill that says they'll talk about it. So they'll all vote on it, then forget it.

It's just grandstanding, that's all.

Next up, AOC introduces bill to explore the Tooth Fairy as a revenue source. And the Easter Bunny to help out with SNAP.

This_person

I will suggest that "reparations" is more about white/elite liberals feeling good about themselves than doing anything to benefit black families. "See me doing something for the little people? Oh, Carmelita, you missed a spot, dear..."

Is Cory Booker going to get a check? How about Kamala Harris? Should Sasha and Malia Obama get paid? They have been so horribly oppressed by white America and can't get ahead due to racism - shouldn't they get some money for that?

How about that white girl from a single parent home struggling to make ends meet while she gets her education? How much should she have to give Malia Obama to make up for slavery 150 years ago?
And, who should pay it?

The Japanese received reparations because the actions of the Federal government were outside of their authority - they violated the Constitution. The federal government wasn't even involved in slavery until they said it has to stop. It was state law that authorized it, so should it not be only those states that pay the reparations?

noun
- the making of amends for wrong or injury done:
reparation for an injustice.
- compensation in money, material, labor, etc., payable by a defeated country to another country or to an individual for loss suffered during or as a result of war.
- restoration to good condition.​

Not sure what the right payment could be.

I've heard it said that the right answer is to provide a free first class ticket to anyone to return to a country of origin, since the crime was taking people from one land and bringing them to another.

Would we demand compensation from the countries that provided the bodies? From the countries who were intermediaries? From the individuals who bought or sold? From the states that allowed it? From the parent countries of which we were colonies before we were the United States?

It would be interesting to hear the debate and raise reasonable questions like these and so many others.

LtownTaxpayer

All the Booker accomplishes by his support of reparations is to prove his ignorance of US history. Reparations were approved by Republicans to punish the landowners/slave owners/people in rebellion in the South. Democrats (specifically Andrew Johnson and his helpers) cancelled the program. So the irony of a Democrat railing against Democratic cancelled reparations is evident. Of course, it is only evident to people who actually learned US history and not the social studies drivel that passes for it now in our schools.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Hijinx

Bill should think of something else more embarrassing to Cory than that. I believe Cory might like that

Monello

PREMO Member
The Obama girls wouldn't qualify. Their pappy was never a slave. He came from Kenya to go to college. There is no slavery in their past.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The problem with reparations is - it doesn't end with reparations.

I mean, there are others. One is, determining what reparation is, monetarily. Is it a permanent stipend, a forever payment from Uncle Sam?
Is it a big cash payment? Who gets it? Blacks, who arrived here long after slavery ended? Does discrimination - which exists around the world -
is it an ethics thing that every nation should consider honoring, since bigotry is worldwide?

And as someone has already observed - what does it change? Does it change how people feel? Does it change people's attitudes?
What does it accomplish, besides a bit of - revenge? What does it "fix"?

Exactly. It changes nothing. Some people want to rewrite history. That is not how it works.

Rommey

OK, let's play this game and assume they come up with some magic formula where people get Uncle Sam bucks. Let's say everyone affected gets $1M (just an example, don't go off trying to figure how this would actually work...).

So, on January 1 all these people have their new found wealth, tax-free, courtesy of Uncle Sam. How many will be broke by February 1? By December 31? Will they be right back in the same or similar situation they were before they got Uncle Sam bucks? Will they be looking for another handout because they are still being "oppressed", even though the reparations were specifically given to heal that wound?

Monello

PREMO Member
OK, let's play this game and assume they come up with some magic formula where people get Uncle Sam bucks. Let's say everyone affected gets $1M (just an example, don't go off trying to figure how this would actually work...).

So, on January 1 all these people have their new found wealth, tax-free, courtesy of Uncle Sam. How many will be broke by February 1? By December 31? Will they be right back in the same or similar situation they were before they got Uncle Sam bucks? Will they be looking for another handout because they are still being "oppressed", even though the reparations were specifically given to heal that wound?
60% of NBA rookies that sign multimillion $ contracts file for bankruptcy 5 years after retirement. Year #1 after reparations $$ are paid out could be the best year in US consumer spending ever.

Or how would a 5 year old qualify for money? They haven't been around long enough. They didn't get denies a loan or missed a spot in an Ivy league college due to racism.

I do enjoy the endless possibilities though. Would welfare recipients that qualify be removed from the welfare rolls? Would deadbeat dads have to settle up first before getting any money? Does someone that is 1/16th slave ancester get the same amount as someone that is 1/2 slave ancester? I would legalize pot in all 50 states before this were paid out. Don't tell me a few of those bucks won't go to some reefer madness. Might as well enrich the state instead of enriching the corner dealer, who doesn't pay taxes anyway.