Costa Rica

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Has anyone here done a fishing trip to Costa Rica?

I'm looking for as much info as you have. Where, how much, what time, how was it, etc.

I set up a spring fishing trip for 6 family members in April heading to the Everglades. Me & Monellino fished there in October. The fishing was OK but all the guides and people in the area said the fishing is dynamite in the spring. So that's when we are going.

And if trip goes well, I was thinking of heading south of the border. Splitting things 6 ways often makes it a bit more affordable, since the boat is the same price whether 1 person fishes or 6 people go.

phreddyp

Has anyone here done a fishing trip to Costa Rica?

I'm looking for as much info as you have. Where, how much, what time, how was it, etc.

I set up a spring fishing trip for 6 family members in April heading to the Everglades. Me & Monellino fished there in October. The fishing was OK but all the guides and people in the area said the fishing is dynamite in the spring. So that's when we are going.

And if trip goes well, I was thinking of heading south of the border. Splitting things 6 ways often makes it a bit more affordable, since the boat is the same price whether 1 person fishes or 6 people go.
I've been there several times, if you use a guide service it is usually about double what you can get from a local, Crocodile Bay is a full service Marina a little pricey but worth it if you have the funds. Puerto Jimenez CR 1 800 733 1115

You can charter a boat from just about any marina or from most hotels, I prefer to go down to the marina strike up a conversation with a captain and set up a trip. Boats range pretty much from 5 star boats, 50 foot plus down to pangas (about 20 foot and narrow which can fish two comfortably, it is usually a captain and your party (you don't need a mate)

Pricing is all over the board from about $350 (panga) to about $3000 of (offshore or way way offshore) depending on what you want to fish for, near shore or offshore or way way offshore. I've caught Mahi and Roosterfish within casting distance from shore (yeah no sh*t) and tuna about two miles out.

Water is beautiful and pretty deep close to shore in a lot of places.

Several times I have stayed at the Riu Palace all-inclusive my personal favorite (www.Riu.com) in Guanacaste located on a bay in NW Costa Rica, nearshore fishing was great there!
There is also a little town called Coco Beach there and a water taxi will take you there from the Riu, one drawback is there are no piers at the Riu and you have to wade in the water for the boats to pick you up for your days fishing. I have been there from December thru March, its friggin hot there after April. Pack plenty of sunscreen I use 40 to 50 SPF and UV protection clothes and a good wide brim hat, and do not forget bug spray! If you forget these items and have to purchase them there, may I suggest packing a tube of KY. you're gonna need it!

These are on the Pacific side of the country, I don't know much about the eastern side.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ShyGirl

If you have Facebook, you can search for Erik Garcia or Friends of Westin, W, Resvera Conchal in Guanacaste. Someone may be able to give you more specific info on what you are looking for. The excursions they offer cover the area phreddyp mentioned too.

There were a lot of boats and signs around Playa Flamingo Marina.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
check out Roatan, Honduras. dirt cheap round trip flights from Miami and some amazing fishing and diving.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Canoe Neck, Shipping Point, Bluff Woods, Posey's Bluff, Heron Island, Sheepshead, Island Swash, and Old Rack. YW.