County parks

recandparks

Most athletic fields in County parks are reserved by permit by various sports leagues. A County staff member would likely ask citizens to refrain from using fields if a permitted game or practice is going on; if a game or practice is getting ready to begin; if the field is being prepared/lined for a game; or if maintenance is being done on the field. There are signs at the more heavily used parks stating field use is by permit only. However, there are areas of open/green space in most County parks where citizens can play Frisbee® or pursue other recreational activities. If anyone is unsure whether an area is open/green space or part of a permitted athletic field area, please contact David Guyther, Parks Manager, at (301) 863-8400 ext. 3571 or Tyrone Harris, Facilities Coordinator, at (240) 237-8023 ext. 1653 or 1670. The County also has a popular disc golf course at Lancaster Park that is a great option for Frisbee enthusiasts. Please check out the R&P website at www.stmarysmd.com/recreate for additional information on parks, facilities, programs and activities.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most athletic fields in County parks are reserved by permit by various sports leagues. A County staff member would likely ask citizens to refrain from using fields if a permitted game or practice is going on; if a game or practice is getting ready to begin; if the field is being prepared/lined for a game; or if maintenance is being done on the field. There are signs at the more heavily used parks stating field use is by permit only.

So in other words if someone wants to kick a ball around the soccer field or play Frisbee when no games are going on or about to start, they still need to have a permit? Even if it's just one or two people, completely unorganized and just enjoying the day?

I understand not wanting people infringing on reserved field time, but it seems silly to say that nobody can use the field for any reason ever without a permit. Now you're forcing taxpayers to fund a recreational area that they are forbidden to use.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Someone chooses to do a slightly different activity there. Say going to 1 of the green areas between the playing fields and decide to play with a Frisbee. A park employee (wearing an official P&R shirt) tells them that activity isn't allowed in the park. There is no sign saying not to do this. The employee says it's "the rule". The offender politely asks what harm are they causing to anyone by what they are doing. Park guys says we got to follow the rules. Again a slightly different question was posed as to how this activity is harmful to anyone else. Still no good answer but some lame excuse.

So do you keep playing or move on to somewhere else?

Just a note, the OP wasn't trying to use on of the playing fields.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Interesting point however, I was always under the impression that it was MY tax dollars that built and maintained those fields. Why should I contribute to them if I do not get to use them?

Kinda like the mortgage lender coming into your house and telling you that you cannot crap in the upstairs bathroom during daylight hours.

It wasn't YOUR tax dollars that built and maintained those fields. It was OUR tax dollars that built and maintained those fields. So, if you want exclusive use of a particular field, you have to pay for that exclusive use.

John Z

if you will
Actually, it gets used quite a bit. At least everytime I walk or ride bikes through that area, there have always been people playing frisbee golf.

LOL, I'm one of those nerds that use the course. Just played 9 "holes" during lunch. :)

SG_Player1974

It wasn't YOUR tax dollars that built and maintained those fields. It was OUR tax dollars that built and maintained those fields. So, if you want exclusive use of a particular field, you have to pay for that exclusive use.

No one is saying that you, as another tax payer supporting the field's upkeep and maintenance, cannot play frisbee right along side the OP! As long as the activity is not detrimental to the fields and it is not illegal I do not see why the OP was asked to stop.

The same statement with regards to taxes can be applied in NUMEROUS ways. Some of the interesting discussions of taxes:

- I pay Federal taxes which pay into the military funding yet I don't get to play with the F-18's or go fishing off the destroyers.

Parks are considered PUBLIC spaces and available to the PUBLIC... F-18s are not!

- I pay State taxes yet I can't use a State Trooper to patrol a party I am hosting as security.

Troopers are paid to protect the PUBLIC. Your taxes go towards paying their salaries and funding their endeavors to protect the PUBLIC. Its well known.

- I pay local taxes yet I have to pay for a permit to use a gazebo for a birthday party at the local park.

The permit is required in order to make the gazebo available to the PUBLIC on a scheduled basis. It is not big enought to house the entire tax paying populous. I do agree with you that having to pay for the permit is annoying however, the fee is most likely to cover the filing of the permit and the work it entails which is probably not funded under the tax dollars WE spend to maintain the parks.

recandparks

In most cases, an individual would not need to apply for a permit to "kick a ball around the soccer field or play Frisbee when no games are going on or about to start." However, it's best to call first, or ask a staff member who may be on site, to be sure (especially at heavily used parks like Chancellor’s Run). There are some fields that ongoing maintenance or other issues may preclude "drop in" use during some times of the year. Some leagues also contribute funds for field maintenance to assist in keeping them in shape for games and tournaments. If someone regularly plays Frisbee and would like recommendations on good locations to play, please call the Mr. Guyther or Mr. Harris and they will be happy to assist. Hope this information is helpful.

H

Hodr

I have only ever run into a park employee once, and that was on a Sunday oddly enough. They told me that I was not using the grounds appropriately and would have to leave (I was metal detecting in the loose woodchips of the children's playground). I did so, but not before showing her the collection of nails, shredded aluminum can, and the two hypodermic needles I removed from the playground.

The next time you see a guy metal detecting remember that "other" people make use of those same facilities in the wee hours, and it generally isn't the parks and rec folks who remove the tiny sharp metal objects from the fields and playgrounds.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
In most cases, an individual would not need to apply for a permit to "kick a ball around the soccer field or play Frisbee when no games are going on or about to start." However, it's best to call first, or ask a staff member who may be on site, to be sure (especially at heavily used parks like Chancellor’s Run). There are some fields that ongoing maintenance or other issues may preclude "drop in" use during some times of the year. Some leagues also contribute funds for field maintenance to assist in keeping them in shape for games and tournaments. If someone regularly plays Frisbee and would like recommendations on good locations to play, please call the Mr. Guyther or Mr. Harris and they will be happy to assist. Hope this information is helpful.

A great location to play Frisbee is at one of our local parks! :doh: I know of 2 leagues out of all county leagues that pay money from league funds to help maintain fields even though there are other leagues that play on those fields. Practice area 1 at Chaptico can be used for Frisbee, 7th District park gets very little use and 5th District Park behind Lettie Dent has some open areas near the football fields. Just mind the signage that says which fields are Permit use only and the ones that are under repair. (Fields 3 and 4 @ Chaptico are currently closed to all)

I've had a R&P employee come up to me once and ask to see my field permit. One time out of 7 years of coaching. Most of the time when I do see one he is driving through the park blowing his horn so he can lock the gates.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have only ever run into a park employee once, and that was on a Sunday oddly enough. They told me that I was not using the grounds appropriately and would have to leave (I was metal detecting in the loose woodchips of the children's playground). I did so, but not before showing her the collection of nails, shredded aluminum can, and the two hypodermic needles I removed from the playground.

Did you put the items you stole from the park playground back?

Maybe the solution is to privatize the parks, since they're not really all that public and there are a million regulations to adhere to and you must fill out an application in order to recreate in them. I'm certainly not interested in paying for a park that can only be used for organized youth soccer games. That should be a private entity, not taxpayer funded.

FollowTheMoney

True story

Here is an actual occurrence that happened at Myrtle Point Park. You know that little beach that people walk to and boats go? That one.
Well one day we stop by the beach by boat and anchor in the water. Boy is at the waters edge catching minnows with a really tiny hook and a bit of bait. Not hooking them, but pulling them out when they bit to the beach to put in a bucket. Kid is having a blast, he's 9. Well, up walks the afore mentioned "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" and says, "You can't be in the park without paying $5.00." I tell her I didn't come in through the gate but by boat, pointing at it not 20 feet out off the beach. "It doesn't matter" she says, "you must pay $5.00 or you will be forced to leave." My son then says, "Daddy, do we have to leave?" Well, the short of it is I shut her down and took the wind out of her sails by explaining that I wasn't in the county park of Myrtle Point, I was on a beach owned by the State of Maryland. I further explained that the county R&P does not own the land below the high tide mark. What R&P has is riparian rights to control assess to the beach, hence the $5.00. But the State “It is well established that the title to land under navigable water is in the State of Maryland, subject to the paramount right of the United States to protect navigation in the navigable waters." I parsed a lot of this to her. She would not have logical facts stop her, "I'll call the police if you don't pay and continue to stay here" she says. Do what you have to do I tell her and get my boy back to what he was doing.
She left, never heard from her again and no law man showed up. Also think about it, it wasn't like she was carrying a R&P receipt book. She could have been pocketing the money. So the story here is... Challenge, challenge, challenge. Fight for the little things because they can become the big things. Acquiescence, and blind compliance to perceived authority, has made a mess of things in this country. Grow a pair and stand your ground. Take nothing at face value. But do it in a polite manner.

Edit: Also, that day there were many other beach goers and maybe about six other boats.

Last edited:

rdytogo

Here is an actual occurrence that happened at Myrtle Point Park. You know that little beach that people walk to and boats go? That one.
Well one day we stop by the beach by boat and anchor in the water. Boy is at the waters edge catching minnows with a really tiny hook and a bit of bait. Not hooking them, but pulling them out when they bit to the beach to put in a bucket. Kid is having a blast, he's 9. Well, up walks the afore mentioned "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" and says, "You can't be in the park without paying $5.00." I tell her I didn't come in through the gate but by boat, pointing at it not 20 feet out off the beach. "It doesn't matter" she says, "you must pay $5.00 or you will be forced to leave." My son then says, "Daddy, do we have to leave?" Well, the short of it is I shut her down and took the wind out of her sails by explaining that I wasn't in the county park of Myrtle Point, I was on a beach owned by the State of Maryland. I further explained that the county R&P does not own the land below the high tide mark. What R&P has is riparian rights to control assess to the beach, hence the $5.00. But the State “It is well established that the title to land under navigable water is in the State of Maryland, subject to the paramount right of the United States to protect navigation in the navigable waters." I parsed a lot of this to her. She would not have logical facts stop her, "I'll call the police if you don't pay and continue to stay here" she says. Do what you have to do I tell her and get my boy back to what he was doing.
She left, never heard from her again and no law man showed up. Also think about it, it wasn't like she was carrying a R&P receipt book. She could have been pocketing the money. So the story here is... Challenge, challenge, challenge. Fight for the little things because they can become the big things. Acquiescence, and blind compliance to perceived authority, has made a mess of things in this country. Grow a pair and stand your ground. Take nothing at face value. But do it in a polite manner.

Edit: Also, that day there were many other beach goers and maybe about six other boats.

When did this happen?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

My initial contact with the park employee dealt with me not being allowed to perform my activity as it was against the rules. In all fairness I did not state what that activity was. I didn't see the point in mentioning what I was doing. I could have just as easily said I was flying a kite. So to make a simple example I said perhaps tossing a Frisbee. I was actually hitting foam golf balls from behind the soccer goal. I made it a point to stay off the soccer field.

I asked the employee several times what harm was I causing by my activity. He repeatedly replied that it was against the rules. BTW he was quite pleasant actually except for the fact that he skirted answering my questions. It probably helped that I didn't get pissy back at him. I was appealing to his common sense. No harm, no foul. It made no sense to me as I wasn't infringing on anyone else. It was early afternoon and school was still in session. About the only people in the park were moms with kids on the jungle gym, a few power walkers and a teen on a bicycle.

I like that park because of it's location. It isn't too far. I was out doing some errands and ran over for some practice and exercise. I've actually did this a few other times without incident. So maybe I'll make a call and see what area is safe for me to use.