Couple Spent Two Years Rebuilding a '72 Buick GS455 Into the Muscle Car Legend It Once Was

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Perhaps this was it – the money – that held back buyers from rushing into Buick dealerships and ordering a high-performance automobile. Or maybe the general perception that the Tri-Shield-badged cars weren’t the trendy drag strip attire for Saturday nights. Whichever the reason, the brand wasn’t perceived as a thrill-and-chill-machine maker, but the exceptions are famous.

After all, it was Buick who first had the idea of stuffing a big engine into a small body – and that was in the wake of the Great Depression in 1936. The story is well-known: a 320 cubic-inch (5.2 liters) straight-eight powered a small-bodied platform, resulting in the fastest Buick of its time. The model’s name derived from its performance: the Century hinted at the car’s ability to sustain 100 mph (160 kph) cruising for a prolonged time.

The recipe wasn’t refreshed in the post-war era until some two decades after domestic production resumed. In 1965, a “Gran Sport” (without the “d”) trim was added to the Skylark models. However, due to GM’s infamous “neutrality” in the horsepower wars’ hottest years, the 400-CID (6.6 liter) maximum displacement didn’t sit at the same table as other big-block players from Detroit.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I had a '71 Skylark with a 350ci engine back when Wifey and I were dating. Had a set of Chevelle buckets and no console for easy access to the massive bench seat in the back. That's one I really wished I'd hung onto. Many memories made in that beast.