Coyote hunting?

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
We haven't seen the coyote again. Hopefully it got scared off and won't be back.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
If you are going to coyote hunt SOMD I hope you're patient. I know the DNR says they are in every MD county but down here they're few and far between to say the least.

bulldog

I hunt several large pieces of land in St. Mary's County and have hunted the Elms many times over the last 5 years. Probably spend 50 days a year in the woods and have never seen a yote in this county.
If you do find a place to hunt them, be very careful what you use to hunt them with as high powered rifles are a no-no in our area.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What is it with people who want to go out and kill things just to kill them. Has this species done something to you? Did a coyote eat your baby? I grew up hunting and trapping so I'm not just some bleeding heart, but I think some of you need to be locked up in a rubber room. Sorry if I've offended any of you crazies.

v.r.
Merlin

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
What is it with people who want to go out and kill things just to kill them. Has this species done something to you? Did a coyote eat your baby? I grew up hunting and trapping so I'm not just some bleeding heart, but I think some of you need to be locked up in a rubber room. Sorry if I've offended any of you crazies.

v.r.
Merlin

Well call me crazy then because varmint hunting is some of the most fun hunting there is. Yeah coyotes are not a problem here but in parts of the country they are as big of a pest as rats but worse, they eat livestock, otherfarm animals and or pets. I have no problem with coyote hunting and neither should anyone else as long as it is legal, unless you want to be labeled a bleeding heart liberal.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Well call me crazy then because varmint hunting is some of the most fun hunting there is. Yeah coyotes are not a problem here but in parts of the country they are as big of a pest as rats but worse, they eat livestock, otherfarm animals and or pets. I have no problem with coyote hunting and neither should anyone else as long as it is legal, unless you want to be labeled a bleeding heart liberal.

Grandpa would've taken our guns away if we'd shot anything just because we could. I don't have any problem shooting gophers that are eating a garden, but going to a vacant field just to shoot one, who's only crime is to exist, borders on psychopathic behavior. If that opinion makes you think I'm a BHL, so be it.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
If you are going to coyote hunt SOMD I hope you're patient. I know the DNR says they are in every MD county but down here they're few and far between to say the least.
:lmao: my son was scared when we left someone's house the other night, it was super dark and there were no lights outside, he started to ask, "mom, are there coyotes in Maryland?" I said yes and told him some were reported in S. MD, he was FREAKED out at this point :lmao:
I'm a meamie :frown:

Grandpa would've taken our guns away if we'd shot anything just because we could. I don't have any problem shooting gophers that are eating a garden, but going to a vacant field just to shoot one, who's only crime is to exist, borders on psychopathic behavior. If that opinion makes you think I'm a BHL, so be it.

:love:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

Do you understand the point of varmint hunting? Other than the actual shooting of the animal it is a way to control a problem population, so no it is not shooting something just because you can.

I guess your grandpa would be collecting alot of guns outwest then. I'm sure there are groups out there dedicated to outlawing prarie dog hunting and the like, you should join up.

I carry a gun for a living, have a BA in Psychology, have been through tons of job related psychological tests, batteries and interviews but it took a hunting thread on somd.com for me to get diagnosed as a psychopath, interesting.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

Do you understand the point of varmint hunting? Other than the actual shooting of the animal it is a way to control a problem population, so no it is not shooting something just because you can.

AK, please re-read the Merlin's post above :bubble:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
anybody know a good place to go coyote hunting in MD?

I guess your grandpa would be collecting alot of guns outwest then. I'm sure there are groups out there dedicated to outlawing prarie dog hunting and the like, you should join up.

I carry a gun for a living, have a BA in Psychology, have been through tons of job related psychological tests, batteries and interviews but it took a hunting thread on somd.com for me to get diagnosed as a psychopath, interesting.
Now if I get this right, this coyote, that he doesn't even know where it is, is causing a population explosion? As I said, if it has a purpose, I have no problem with it. Having relatives out west, I know what problems prairie dogs cause and don't have a problem with clearing them off range land, but wholesale slaughter of the species everywhere, just because you can...

Cowgirl

Hunting coyotes in MD is just plain stupid IMO. If you're using the argument that they're eating livestock, etc, you need to realize that once you kill the coyotes in that territory, another will just move on it after it. And I've not heard of all those stories where they exist in such high numbers that it is causing a problem.

I don't have a problem with useful hunting (to eat the animal, to prevent damage like Merlin mentioned, etc), but hunting predators seriously effs up the food chain. Do a little reading on it.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Now if I get this right, this coyote, that he doesn't even know where it is, is causing a population explosion? As I said, if it has a purpose, I have no problem with it. Having relatives out west, I know what problems prairie dogs cause and don't have a problem with clearing them off range land, but wholesale slaughter of the species everywhere, just because you can...

And I didn't say that hunting them in MD was a good idea, in fact I pointed out that it was pretty pointless here. To me it sounded like you were saying the only way you'd justify shooting a coyote is if it was caught in the act eating a chicken or killing a calf. I contend that as long as the populations are healthy and that the hunting regualtions permit then taking a nuisance animal is fine.