Coyote hunting?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Hunting coyotes in MD is just plain stupid IMO. If you're using the argument that they're eating livestock, etc, you need to realize that once you kill the coyotes in that territory, another will just move on it after it. And I've not heard of all those stories where they exist in such high numbers that it is causing a problem.

I don't have a problem with useful hunting (to eat the animal, to prevent damage like Merlin mentioned, etc), but hunting predators seriously effs up the food chain. Do a little reading on it.

Personally I have, there is a documentary on it. "Killing Coyote" it presents both sides of the argument pretty fairly. But like any controversial topic both sides are driven by agendas.

Coyote populations are healthy, so healthy that in liberal California they have deemed coyotes a non-game animal and can be taken with no defined season. I hardly think hunting animals legally no matter what you feel about the motivation for the huting of the animal can be considered psycopathic material.

chul_soo

i just asked a simple question, and i come back a couple days later and now i'm like... wut the hell? i just wanted to know where i can hunt coyotes. MD being so close to VA and WV, i thought that it would be pro hunting... eh~ wutevers... i'm over it.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
i just asked a simple question, and i come back a couple days later and now i'm like... wut the hell? i just wanted to know where i can hunt coyotes. MD being so close to VA and WV, i thought that it would be pro hunting... eh~ wutevers... i'm over it.

Well MD is much different than WVA and VA(way more liberal) overall but typically SOMD is more of what you'd expect from people in VA or WVA. I just think it is funny that some people justify killing a mouse because it is a pest to them but somehow think that it is wrong that other species of pest get looked at the same because it is bigger, more pet like or just have a preconcieved notion about that particular species.

Someone earlier ask what would you do with a coyote once you shot it, my response would be, same thing you do with a dead mouse when you trap it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Well MD is much different than WVA and VA(way more liberal) overall but typically SOMD is more of what you'd expect from people in VA or WVA. I just think it is funny that some people justify killing a mouse because it is a pest to them but somehow think that it is wrong that other species of pest get looked at the same because it is bigger, more pet like or just have a preconcieved notion about that particular species.

Someone earlier ask what would you do with a coyote once you shot it, my response would be, same thing you do with a dead mouse when you trap it.

The snake would have a hard time choking down a coyote.

JoeMac

Hunting coyotes in MD is just plain stupid IMO. If you're using the argument that they're eating livestock, etc, you need to realize that once you kill the coyotes in that territory, another will just move on it after it. And I've not heard of all those stories where they exist in such high numbers that it is causing a problem.

I don't have a problem with useful hunting (to eat the animal, to prevent damage like Merlin mentioned, etc), but hunting predators seriously effs up the food chain. Do a little reading on it.

This is not wholly true. It is common practice for wildlife or property managers to control the predator population by hunting or trapping. Say they are managing the property for whitetail deer hunting and they are having a poor fawn survival rate due to coyotes, they could remove foxes and raccoons. This gives the coyotes more to eat. So just because you remove some from the area, they will not necessarily keep eating what you are trying to protect. They are eating livestock because they are overpopulated.

The predator population ebbs and flows with the availability of food. As we destroy habitat, continue sprawl but try to keep food animals that they can and will eat they start to become a problem. I would say the bottom line is that to keep nature in balance with our destructive ways we have to manage the populations of wildlife.

Last edited:
T

toppick08

Please extend the deer season in Md..(gun, primitive weapons...et al.).........for at least a month longer.

bulldog

Grandpa would've taken our guns away if we'd shot anything just because we could. I don't have any problem shooting gophers that are eating a garden, but going to a vacant field just to shoot one, who's only crime is to exist, borders on psychopathic behavior. If that opinion makes you think I'm a BHL, so be it.

Have you actually seen the damage they do in fields? Very often, one ground hog will dig a series of holes to access its tunnel system. They will then hang out in the area of that tunnel system and devour the crops within 20 yards of it.
I recognize that you said "vacant field", but there really are not that many of those around since a vacant field would result in lost $$$ for the farmer. Even if a field is vacant, they would be so overgrown with native grasses and weeds that you'd have little to no chance of seeing a ground hog to shoot it anyway.

Lilypad

I must by missing something here-so some folks just go out and kill animals for fun? Like the folks who go out of their way to hit an animal/reptile in the road?:cds:

bulldog

I must by missing something here-so some folks just go out and kill animals for fun? Like the folks who go out of their way to hit an animal/reptile in the road?:cds:

Some may, I don't. I do not kill animals for the fun, but I will certainly kill some animals that I don't eat, but which do present problems like crop damage. I'll kill every ground hog I see if given the chance. You would kill a mouse or a rat that set up shop in your home...No? No different.

So no, I don't shoot animals for the fun of it, but I will admit that the shooting is fun. :)

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Some may, I don't. I do not kill animals for the fun, but I will certainly kill some animals that I don't eat, but which do present problems like crop damage. I'll kill every ground hog I see if given the chance. You would kill a mouse or a rat that set up shop in your home...No? No different.

So no, I don't shoot animals for the fun of it, but I will admit that the shooting is fun. :)

Exactly, I've tried to make this comparison here and in several other threads over the years. Most people don't have any problem killing a mouse that has invaded their house but can't see how a prairie dog or ground hog, "who is just minding it's business" could possibly be a bigger pest to some people such as ranchers and farmers. Luckily most state DNR's are pretty fair when it comes to the bag limits and seasons on these varmint speicies. And the people that don't understand or can't comprehend it are stuck submitting letters to newspapers or trying to collect signatures to stop the "cruelty".

ylexot

Super Genius
Most people don't have any problem killing a mouse that has invaded their house but can't see how a prairie dog or ground hog, "who is just minding it's business" could possibly be a bigger pest to some people such as ranchers and farmers.

Just wait until the nutria start showing up here :faint: