Crab Festival this Saturday

SoMDGirl42

I lurked for quite a while before I made my first post... I had lurked for so long and was so familiar with everyone that Rack'm immediately accused me of being an MPD...:lol:

I lurked for two years before I posted. I can't remember who the person was that started the post, but it was in reference to the fatal accident my daughter was involved in.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't know about the Crab Festiveal, never been, but maybe somebody can talk me into it here.

The reason I haven't been is we went to the OYSTER Festival, and after paying an entrance fee we were hit with unbelievably high prices for anything Oyster. I would THINK that going to a "festival" where Oysters or crabs are the reason for the festival, that just the quantities being consumed at one location would warrant better than market prices, NOT higher than market prices.

Well, we didn't eat any oysters at the festival and decided instead to go to Leanardtown and scoot down 234 to Farrel's where we had Oyster Stew, Fried Oysters and something else I can't recall.. for about 1/2 of the festival prices, and we weren't the only, nor the first to visit Farrel's straight from the festival for the same reason.

NOW can you convince me if I go tot he Crab Festival, and pay another entrance fee I won't be paying for overpriced crabs?

I hate to pay a fee for the priviledge of paying too much for a local product.

I don't know about the Crab Festiveal, never been, but maybe somebody can talk me into it here.

The reason I haven't been is we went to the OYSTER Festival, and after paying an entrance fee we were hit with unbelievably high prices for anything Oyster. I would THINK that going to a "festival" where Oysters or crabs are the reason for the festival, that just the quantities being consumed at one location would warrant better than market prices, NOT higher than market prices.

Well, we didn't eat any oysters at the festival and decided instead to go to Leanardtown and scoot down 234 to Farrel's where we had Oyster Stew, Fried Oysters and something else I can't recall.. for about 1/2 of the festival prices, and we weren't the only, nor the first to visit Farrel's straight from the festival for the same reason.

NOW can you convince me if I go tot he Crab Festival, and pay another entrance fee I won't be paying for overpriced crabs?

In case you've missed the point of the Crab Festival, itsbob... it's a fund raiser for the Lions Club. That means you can expect to pay an entry fee aaaaand prices that would reflect covering the cost of whatever is for sale and then some padding that goes towards the raising of funds. If you are after just crabs... go to a crabhouse... if you are ready to enjoy the ambiance and support a great non-profit organization... come to the Crab Fest! :starcat:

SoMDGirl42

This year will be my first year going, because my son recently moved back to the area and HE wants to go. I honestly will not be eating any of the seafood there because I'm not a real big seafood person but:

1. It's a good cause for a
2. non-profit organization that
3. does great things for our community and
4. It's only 5 bucks to get in

Best I can do to convince you. :shrug: But the truth is, if you don't want to go and spend the $ there, you'll spend it else where. Why not help the community and enjoy the fare if you enjoy seafood?

SoMDGirl42

In case you've missed the point of the Crab Festival, itsbob... it's a fund raiser for the Lions Club. That means you can expect to pay an entry fee aaaaand prices that would reflect covering the cost of whatever is for sale and then some padding that goes towards the raising of funds. If you are after just crabs... go to a crabhouse... if you are ready to enjoy the ambiance and support a great non-profit organization... come to the Crab Fest! :starcat:

:yeahthat:

I have respect for the Lions Club who did a little vision screen for my daughter when she was 4 and detected a problem. They'll get my donation, and I will continue to support their cause. They do great things for our community, and it STAYS LOCAL!

itsbob

I bowl overhand

EDIT: Actually I didn't know that...

Is the Oyster Festival also a Non-Profit fundraiser?

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Yeah. Atheists for Oysters is doing their annual fund raiser soon as well but, they do it to fund the membership which is not exempt so, it's really a non prophet for profit event.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yeah. Atheists for Oysters is doing their annual fund raiser soon as well but, they do it to fund the membership which is not exempt so, it's really a non prophet for profit event.

What if my Prophet is an Oyster?? Or Linguine in Oyster Sauce?

What if I'm raising money for an augur.. (I am getting ready to build a deck, or should I call it a shrine to my augur?)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What if my Prophet is an Oyster?? Or Linguine in Oyster Sauce?

What if I'm raising money for an augur.. (I am getting ready to build a deck, or should I call it a shrine to my augur?)

You're trying to improve your standing in the poll, aren't you? :lol:

:buddies:

Erk

:yahoo:

Thanks for the kind and correct response. One of the things we Lions are proud of is that 100% of all proceeds from our fund-raisers go out to good causes, most of it in the Leonardtown and St. Mary's County area.

Our overhead and administratives costs are covered completely by annual dues paid by the members.

It is, however, pretty funny every year at the gate when there are always a few people that want their money back because the gate fee did not include all you can eat crabs.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv

YES the oyster festival is for non profit. They donate to all the local charities.

And yes, we are NOT boating Saturday so we can go to the Crab Festival. I know all three bands that are playing. 25th hour is our Favorite of the 3!!!!