Crab pot - deep or shallow?

bohman

I'm putting a pot in the water at the dock. Should I drop it in the deep water at the end of the pier (about 8' deep) or put it in shallower water? Where do the crabs like to hang out?

kileytaylor

I'm putting a pot in the water at the dock. Should I drop it in the deep water at the end of the pier (about 8' deep) or put it in shallower water? Where do the crabs like to hang out?

Doesn't much matter. Water is still on the chilly side so you can go a little deeper than usual. In the summer when water is warm you will catch them anywhere in from 0-8.

They're pretty active in looking for food, but I would start deep and close to a piling.

lovinmaryland

for some reason we seem to catch more crabs right about the middle of our pier. High tide it is about 6 ft deep. However when we do catch crabs off the very end of the pier (roughly 9-10ft deep at high tide) they are always the biggest.

Roman

:bann: Dr has the best answer! Deep, and near a Piling. That's where we catch some of our's.

bohman

Cool. I actually baited it last night and threw it in about 7' at high tide. I also kept it as close to the pier as I could; I figured they would want to stay near shelter as opposed to out in the middle of the water.

We'll see what I get tonight!

lovinmaryland

Cool. I actually baited it last night and threw it in about 7' at high tide. I also kept it as close to the pier as I could; I figured they would want to stay near shelter as opposed to out in the middle of the water.

We'll see what I get tonight!

How do you think the commercial crabbers catch them off their boats when they are in the middle of the water and not near a piling :lol:

Just make sure that you have the pot set the right way otherwise they can get out.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I used to just wade out with the baited pot, plop it down, go away for 3-4 hours, come back, and carry in supper. (And treat all my jellyfish injuries with meat tenderizer). :lol:

bohman

How do you think the commercial crabbers catch them off their boats when they are in the middle of the water and not near a piling :lol:

Just make sure that you have the pot set the right way otherwise they can get out.

:shrug: I'm sure they can be found anywhere out there, but thought maybe sheltered areas would be preferred territory. That's why I asked my question - Where is the BEST spot to put the pot?

What's the "right" way - should the entrances be on the side, top, or what? I was just careful to make sure the bait was secured so they couldn't grab it & run.

lovinmaryland

:shrug: I'm sure they can be found anywhere out there, but thought maybe sheltered areas would be preferred territory. That's why I asked my question - Where is the BEST spot to put the pot?

What's the "right" way - should the entrances be on the side, top, or what? I was just careful to make sure the bait was secured so they couldn't grab it & run.
I was just being silly :lol: :buddies:

Bait door should be secured tightly and placed that side down (bait will be on bottom)

We've had the kids "check" the pots and not put them back in properly (they just tend to throw them back and not place them bair down) and lost a bunch of crabs that way.

bohman

I was just being silly :lol: :buddies:

Bait door should be secured tightly and placed that side down (bait will be on bottom)

We've had the kids "check" the pots and not put them back in properly (they just tend to throw them back and not place them bair down) and lost a bunch of crabs that way.

Hmmm. Bait door is secured, but it's on top. Crabs aren't smart enought to pull off bungee cords, right? :lmao:

lovinmaryland

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 116

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I don't think it matters as much with mine. It's a larger cube, and the holes are basically in the middle so they'll be in about the same place whether the bait is at the top or bottom.
Keep your bait on the bottom. Crabs crawl along the bottom.

bohman

I hope you catch a bunch :buddies:

I let the crabs outsmart me. I carefully latched the bungee that holds in the bait, but didn't secure the bungee that holds the trap closed. :stupid:

Keep your bait on the bottom. Crabs crawl along the bottom.

That's what I did yesterday when I threw the pot back in (with half the original bait), this time with EVERYTHING locked down tight. Maybe I will steam a crab before the weekend is over.

Wish me luck, obviously it isn't going to be skill that brings in dinner!

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I let the crabs outsmart me. I carefully latched the bungee that holds in the bait, but didn't secure the bungee that holds the trap closed. :stupid:

That's what I did yesterday when I threw the pot back in (with half the original bait), this time with EVERYTHING locked down tight. Maybe I will steam a crab before the weekend is over.

Wish me luck, obviously it isn't going to be skill that brings in dinner!

it happens.....good luck!