Crabbing YET???????

crabluver

ANYONE out there catching keepers yet? From what? Trot line, regular traps? chicken necks? So ready...What does anyone think? About weather issues? Rain keeps the crabs away? When I was young, we used to crab in the rain; now as I'm older it sems they do not run like they used to...my imagination? Blame it on Global Warming!!

The population numbers DNR reported a few weeks ago made me happy. I have said for years that allowing the catch of female crabs is killing off the species.

I finally got my boat registered a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to take it out and get it wet this year.

Joebagel

unfortunatly for every good action they do DNR does something stupid. This time it was trying to take away the licenses of Comercial Crabers that were not using them.
Hey DNR the people NOT harvesting crabs are not the one hurting the population.
So this silly propisition failed but they are still pushing it.....guess what?? you are going to see a lot of small time commerical waterman back out there in order to keep their licenses. Just plain stupid.

Joebagel

i am a LCC holder and i paid my dues every year, but havn't crabed in 9-10 years. I have another job now that prevents me from being a waterman but it was nice to know that if i ever wanted to go back to working on the water i could. It was a nice saftey net. Now i have to lease out my license, and have someone taking crabs from the bay just so i wont loose my license.
But what do you expect from the same idiots that had snake head fish in the aquarium at the headquarters building in annapolis.

crabluver

well this season I would like to crab and make some cash on the side...how well does this hold up in Southern MD? I see a few trucks and some houses with signs showing they are selling crabs, what kind of license do you think they hold if any?

K

kris31280

ANYONE out there catching keepers yet? From what? Trot line, regular traps? chicken necks? So ready...What does anyone think? About weather issues? Rain keeps the crabs away? When I was young, we used to crab in the rain; now as I'm older it sems they do not run like they used to...my imagination? Blame it on Global Warming!!
We caught 3 yesterday, and 1 the day before :shrug: We're using traps.

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
i am a LCC holder and i paid my dues every year, but havn't crabed in 9-10 years. I have another job now that prevents me from being a waterman but it was nice to know that if i ever wanted to go back to working on the water i could. It was a nice saftey net. Now i have to lease out my license, and have someone taking crabs from the bay just so i wont loose my license.
But what do you expect from the same idiots that had snake head fish in the aquarium at the headquarters building in annapolis.

You lease out your license? So someone is paying you to use your license? Is that legal? Do you have a contract with them on the license? when you turn your #'s in, is it reported under you or the person who is actually using the license.

Joebagel

DNR has the forms to do it. UP to 90 days. It is NOT legal to recieve any sort of monetary compinsation for your Comercial License wether you lease or do a permanant transfer (selling it). Now i guess you can argue that not have my license taken away is some sort of compinsation. I believe you report the harvest for the license. But this is a service provided by DNR.

T

toppick08

a little birdie told me, they are running strong in the St. Mary's River......:yay:

JoeMac

We went soft crabbing today and there are plenty of little ones out there. I caught and released at least 4 small ones. I did find one keeper though. I think that is pretty good for May. It looks like it will be a pretty good year.