Cross hand throttle technique...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...this is advanced stuff and only for those dumb enough to have hands cold enough to even try this.

So, anyway, my right index finger gets cold faster than any other part of my body. Old injuries, reduced blood flow, I suppose. My bike has regular grips (not heated) and it is a non fairing bike and I don't have cruise control so when it's cold, my finger gets cold well ahead of anything else including other fingers.

So, what you do is, see, you reach over with the left hand and operate the throttle with your left hand. It is weird as hell at first but with necessity being what it is, I've gotten to where I can go a bit and sit on my right hand for a few miles and warm it up some. I focus on steering with my legs and body English for minor maneuvers and go right back to my right if there is anyone around me or if I have a real turn to make though I am working on getting more comfortable with it.

Try it! It's fun! :evil:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Mine does not have true cruise control but my throttle does have a friction lock....many's the time I'll engage that and give the ole hand a rest. My throttle grip also has the "heel paddle" and I really like those...take a great deal of stress off regular throttle grip and wrist action once you get it adjusted right for cruise speed.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Cruise control, heated grips... heated gloves..

I have NO idea what it is you're talking about..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For how long? :lol:

:lmao: I do miss the challenges associated with riding that old thing. I'm going to built another old bike...like a VL from the 30s. But it's not going to be chopped at all...I'm losing some of my pioneering spirit too. I'll substitute foot clutch and tank shifter for long forks...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I’m going to miss Larry

:bawl:

It won't be this that kills me. Someone will go through a stop sign or red light and take me out but they're gonna have to earn it. I ascribe to the itsbob theory of intersecting points; speed is life. Be gone when they get there.

:buddies:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
It won't be this that kills me. Someone will go through a stop sign or red light and take me out but they're gonna have to earn it. I ascribe to the itsbob theory of intersecting points; speed is life. Be gone when they get there.

:buddies:

I can just see you turning left out of gate one doing the left handed throttle trick while poor pelers & glhs837 look on… it’s all caught on DEEKAYPEE8569’s dash cam though and now we all have to sit through annual safety training at the base theatre.

Thanks Larry :mad:

http://forums.somd.com/threads/305195-Exiting-NAS-PAX-Gate-1

glhs837

Power with Control
Cruise control, heated grips... heated gloves..

I have NO idea what it is you're talking about..

BMW, right? Buttons 3, 7, and 22 on the steuerbord- bedienfeld.

And Larry, I have heated glove liners because some pioneering bugger said "screw that, my hands are COLD!!!!" And I love that man, wherever he is.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
BMW, right? Buttons 3, 7, and 22 on the steuerbord- bedienfeld.

And Larry, I have heated glove liners because some pioneering bugger said "screw that, my hands are COLD!!!!" And I love that man, wherever he is.....

I think about it every time I ride in the cold...one day, one day!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Make today that day Larry! Be the change you want in the world.....!!!!!!!

I figure if I bytch and cry and pewl about how cold my hands get riding this time of year (family gathering this week) that it may yet result in pity and a Christmas gift!!! :yahoo: