Crossbow

somdshootnet

Is it true that DNR now allows the crossbow to be used the whole archery season?

I have no desire to use or own a cross bow, but, I am curious if you are "for it" or "against it" during bow season? I personally don't care, a bow is a bow as long as it's not a firearm, but, what made you ask this question?

bulldog

The question was not directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. I'm against it during the regular bow season. A crossbow is not a bow, it's a gun that fires a bolt that can have a scope mounted on it and takes little more skill than shooting a BB gun. They should have a separate season for crossbows IMO.
Same holds true for the modern "in-line" muzzle loaders; they should not be considered "primitive" and therefore not allowed during the muzzle loader season. Yes, yes, I get it, you load them via the muzzle and therefore....
However, I think that the original intent of defining the ML season was before these new, modern guns came as far as they have.
That said, I understand how difficult it could be to have so many different and individual seasons.
Now, if you'll please excuse me, I must go shoot my bow and get more practice. Deer season is just around the corner.
Man, what a great morning today would have been for the opener.

limblips

PREMO Member
The question was not directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. I'm against it during the regular bow season. A crossbow is not a bow, it's a gun that fires a bolt that can have a scope mounted on it and takes little more skill than shooting a BB gun. They should have a separate season for crossbows IMO.

The bad part with a crossbow is that many people don't take the time to understand a crossbow. There is the issue of kinetic energy vs potential. While a crossbow can send a bolt 350 F/sec + the effective range is no more than a quality compound. A crossbow does not give you + 75 yard range! And many also believe that since they can shoot a rifle, a crossbow is the same. Again, untrue. Bolt placement is more important than bullet placement. In the end, I support crossbow use if it will get more people into the hunting sports. We are a declining group and need all the help we can get to ensure our future hunting rights. The attached is a PG county crossbow kill from last year. I had shoulder surgery 2 months before!

Attachments

• buck.jpg
    buck.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 100

blacklabman

Same holds true for the modern "in-line" muzzle loaders; they should not be considered "primitive" and therefore not allowed during the muzzle loader season. Yes, yes, I get it, you load them via the muzzle and therefore....
However, I think that the original intent of defining the ML season was before these new, modern guns came as far as they have.
That said, I understand how difficult it could be to have so many different and individual seasons.
Now, if you'll please excuse me, I must go shoot my bow and get more practice. Deer season is just around the corner.

Do you use a compound bow? If so, don't talk to us about the original intent of the extremely long bow season. Go back to the long bow or a recurve and then you will have a valid agrument.

Do you fish? Do you use a fish locator? Catch my drift?

BTW, some people do not have the ability to use a "normal" bow. Why deny them the right to hunt deer during the "bow" season.

limblips

PREMO Member
I would like to get into the hunting sport, but I have no idea how to gut and clean them things.

I (and wife) love deer jerky.

Field dressing (gutting) is not "black magic". If you have someone help you once (telling you as you do it) it will come to you easily. Hopefully you aren'y queasy about blood and intestines. The attached shows the process very well. Do a google for field dressing deer, lots of info out there. By the way, save the heart! Diced up and fried, mixed with seasoned scrambled eggs it is delicious!

YouTube - How to Field Dress a Deer

After field dressing, unless you have done some butchering, I would suggest paying the 40-60 bucks and have it processed by a local processor. Many of them around.

Vince

Do you use a compound bow? If so, don't talk to us about the original intent of the extremely long bow season. Go back to the long bow or a recurve and then you will have a valid agrument.

Do you fish? Do you use a fish locator? Catch my drift?

BTW, some people do not have the ability to use a "normal" bow. Why deny them the right to hunt deer during the "bow" season.
Never was much for bow hunting, but I couldn't use a compound anyway due to rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders. It would be difficult. I'll stick to blackpowder, shotgun and rifle.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Do I need a license to kill a deer on my property?
Or anybody else that I allow to hunt on my property?

limblips

PREMO Member
Do I need a license to kill a deer on my property?
Or anybody else that I allow to hunt on my property?

Quick answers: Yesy you can hunt on your own land without a license. Only direct family members that live there can also hunt with no license. You still need to get tags (see below).

Who May Hunt Without a License
It is unlawful to hunt without a valid hunting license in your possession unless you are exempt from this requirement as described in this section. You are not required to possess a hunting license or stamps (except the Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp, the federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp, and a Furbearer Permit) if you are:
A resident of Maryland (and their spouse) who owns property and who hunts only on that property.
This also applies to:

the landowner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16; and
the landowner’s children and grandchildren, and the spouse of the children or grandchildren, regardless of age, if the child, grandchild, or their spouse, lives on the property, has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property. Each person must individually qualify under these criteria. To qualify for this exemption a landowner does not need to live on the property but must be able to prove ownership.
A person (and spouse) who:
holds land under lease for agricultural purposes (or a sharecropper); and
lives on this farmland; and
hunts only on this farmland.
This also applies to:

the lessee’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16; and
the lessee’s children and grandchildren, and their spouses, if the child, grandchild, or spouse of the child or grandchild, lives on the property, has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property.
A nonresident (and spouse) who owns a contiguous piece of farmland that is in both Virginia and Maryland may hunt on the Maryland portion of his or her property without a Maryland hunting license, if the person’s primary residence is on the Virginia portion of the property. This also applies to the owner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
A Maryland resident serving in the United States Armed Forces while on official leave in Maryland (whether stationed in Maryland or outside Maryland). You must possess a copy of official leave orders while hunting. See Hunters in the Armed Forces below.
A person serving in the United States Armed Forces who has a service–connected disability and possesses a valid military identification while hunting. This applies to hunting on private property only. If such a person wants to hunt on public land, they must first acquire a Maryland hunting license.
Notes:
Hunters not required to have a license must obtain a Maryland Big Game Harvest Record from a Maryland Sport License agent at no charge.
Nonresidents of Maryland who own property in the state and hunt on that property are required to purchase a Nonresident Hunting License.
Individuals who are exempt from Maryland hunting license requirements are subject to all state and federal laws and regulations relative to hunting and trapping.
The Hunter Education and Safety Requirement applies to all individuals hunting in Maryland, even if they are exempt from the requirement to purchase a hunting license.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Quick answers: Yesy you can hunt on your own land without a license. Only direct family members that live there can also hunt with no license.

Anybody wanna be my kid/Dad/Mom for a day?

I want some deer jerky.

limblips

PREMO Member
Anybody wanna be my kid/Dad/Mom for a day?

I want some deer jerky.

PM me. I have a friend, retired military, that will share all he gets with you. He is a very ethical hunter. He would also be able to show you the ropes. real nice guy. How much land do you have and where? I would love to hunt your place but I work in Va now and wouldn't have the time. Maybe 1 or 2X though.

Anabaptist

I have no desire to use or own a cross bow, but, I am curious if you are "for it" or "against it" during bow season? I personally don't care, a bow is a bow as long as it's not a firearm, but, what made you ask this question?

I was using a crossbow during the legal seasons do to so anyway. Shamefully, I was never confident with my compound bow. So I may be bias on the subject. I think it is a good way to help the overpopulation of deer herds by attracting more hunters to participate in bow season. I just hope this doesn't cause the public lands to be flooded with hunters all season. If so, I'll stick to the tree stand behind my house.

Anabaptist

The bad part with a crossbow is that many people don't take the time to understand a crossbow. There is the issue of kinetic energy vs potential. While a crossbow can send a bolt 350 F/sec + the effective range is no more than a quality compound. A crossbow does not give you + 75 yard range! And many also believe that since they can shoot a rifle, a crossbow is the same. Again, untrue. Bolt placement is more important than bullet placement. In the end, I support crossbow use if it will get more people into the hunting sports. We are a declining group and need all the help we can get to ensure our future hunting rights. The attached is a PG county crossbow kill from last year. I had shoulder surgery 2 months before!

Do people try to field hunt with bows and crossbows? I cannot see a deer 75 yards away in my woods, so I don't take those shots with the 12 gauge even. The norm for me is 10-20 yards with a crossbow, but I've done 30. Whereas, with the shotgun I sometimes get the opportunity to shoot as far as 50.

somdshootnet

Answer away. Anyone is welcome to answer up on that question.

This I have no comment on since I don't care either way about who uses a bow when or what kind, as I said before, whether its a vertical or horizontal, a bow is a bow unless it uses a cartridge with black power, then it is gun, they didn't name it CrossGun. I will also add, that if you use a trigger style release then you have no argument.

I will let the record show that your issue is not with the term "primitive", your issue is with ballistics of the firearms in question. side lock ball and patch muzzleloaders are considered primitive weapons, they invented the "rifled barrel" it is still considered a primitive weapon, they invented the conical bullet to replace the ball and patch, still a primitive weapon. Nothing has changed, we now use a conical bullet and a "plastic patch" better known as a sabot, the rifling is nothing new and the loading sequence is the same. Does anybody even understand the purpose or creation of the term "inline" I know for a fact most guys that own an inline don't even know why it's called an "inline". However, I just wanted to clarify for the rest of the readers, that the issue is not with the term Primitive, the issue is with the ballistics of the new inline muzzleloaders because they shooter farther and faster, but, they are still "primitive" regardless due to the way they are "loaded".

Agreed 100%

Man, what a great morning today would have been for the opener. Agreed 1000%

somdshootnet

It's not difficult at all actually. There are 2 super simple options:

The first 2 weeks of every month can be Vertical bow and the second 2 weeks of every month can be for Crossbows.

OR

The first 15 days can be for vertical bow and the next 15 days can be for Crossbow. If the month has 31 days in it... no one bow hunts.

I think that's pretty simple, nothing like an even split, 50-50 right, nice and fair.

Or

we can just continue to hunt the entire season together and be happy.

Seriously, most bow hunters don't like giving up 2 weeks in November for the gun hunters and I don't like not being able to shoot deer with my muzzle loader on September 15. Point, there is plenty enough time for everybody.

Hell, if we want to push the whole issue we can combine Firearms, Muzzleloader, and Bow seasons all at the same time and make it really easy...

Everybody shoot what you brung Monday through Saturday. Can't hunt on Sundays though, that's reserved for religious rights from the 1700's (but that's another debate)

Do you feel like Crossbows are lazy or is it just against "your" norm?

I think Shotguns and rifles are lazy compared to my muzzleloaders, but, I can deal with it. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the crossbow issue, it seems more of a personal issue than a "general consensus" issue.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Anything that reduces the numbers to something manageable I'm all for. By manageable I mean below the point that which I don't have to dodge deer every night.

somdshootnet

Field dressing (gutting) is not "black magic". If you have someone help you once (telling you as you do it) it will come to you easily. Hopefully you aren'y queasy about blood and intestines. The attached shows the process very well. Do a google for field dressing deer, lots of info out there.

YouTube - How to Field Dress a Deer

After field dressing, unless you have done some butchering, I would suggest paying the 40-60 bucks and have it processed by a local processor. Many of them around.

Just keep one thing in mind. This meat is not coming from the grocery store, so, you are going to learn from where that stuff on the styrofoam tray started, and it's a hell of lot healthier than the stuff at the store too.