Crossbow

bulldog

The question was not directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. I'm against it during the regular bow season. A crossbow is not a bow, it's a gun that fires a bolt that can have a scope mounted on it and takes little more skill than shooting a BB gun. They should have a separate season for crossbows IMO.

The bad part with a crossbow is that many people don't take the time to understand a crossbow. There is the issue of kinetic energy vs potential. While a crossbow can send a bolt 350 F/sec + the effective range is no more than a quality compound. A crossbow does not give you + 75 yard range! And many also believe that since they can shoot a rifle, a crossbow is the same. Again, untrue. Bolt placement is more important than bullet placement. In the end, I support crossbow use if it will get more people into the hunting sports. We are a declining group and need all the help we can get to ensure our future hunting rights. The attached is a PG county crossbow kill from last year. I had shoulder surgery 2 months before!

Nice deer. Congrats.

bulldog

Do you use a compound bow? If so, don't talk to us about the original intent of the extremely long bow season. Go back to the long bow or a recurve and then you will have a valid agrument.

Do you fish? Do you use a fish locator? Catch my drift?

BTW, some people do not have the ability to use a "normal" bow. Why deny them the right to hunt deer during the "bow" season.

I do in fact have and use a long bow. As a matter of fact, it is a long bow that was hand made by a young man (Eagle Scout) that lives down the street from me.
yep, I fish. Nope, don't use a fish finder.

I'm not trying to deny them hunting. This issue is hunting during bow season with a weapon that is not a bow in the true sense of the word. A crossbow is much more like a gun than a bow.

bulldog

I would like to get into the hunting sport, but I have no idea how to gut and clean them things.

I (and wife) love deer jerky.

If you're serious, PM me. We don't live that far from each other and I can help you. If you have deer in your yard and want them killed, I'll do it...or help you learn to do it. If I kill it I'll split the meat with you and make your jerky for you...or again, teach you how if you don't alread know. I do everything myself...no butcher involved.
Let me know.

bulldog

I was using a crossbow during the legal seasons do to so anyway. Shamefully, I was never confident with my compound bow. So I may be bias on the subject. I think it is a good way to help the overpopulation of deer herds by attracting more hunters to participate in bow season. I just hope this doesn't cause the public lands to be flooded with hunters all season. If so, I'll stick to the tree stand behind my house.

Practice young man, practice. When you get really, really good, practice more.

bulldog

Answer away. Anyone is welcome to answer up on that question.

This I have no comment on since I don't care either way about who uses a bow when or what kind, as I said before, whether its a vertical or horizontal, a bow is a bow unless it uses a cartridge with black power, then it is gun, they didn't name it CrossGun. I will also add, that if you use a trigger style release then you have no argument.

Same holds true for the modern "in-line" muzzle loaders; they should not be considered "primitive" and therefore not allowed during the muzzle loader season. Yes, yes, I get it, you load them via the muzzle and therefore....
However, I think that the original intent of defining the ML season was before these new, modern guns came as far as they have.

You say....
I will let the record show that your issue is not with the term "primitive", your issue is with ballistics of the firearms in question. side lock ball and patch muzzleloaders are considered primitive weapons, they invented the "rifled barrel" it is still considered a primitive weapon, they invented the conical bullet to replace the ball and patch, still a primitive weapon. Nothing has changed, we now use a conical bullet and a "plastic patch" better known as a sabot, the rifling is nothing new and the loading sequence is the same. Does anybody even understand the purpose or creation of the term "inline" I know for a fact most guys that own an inline don't even know why it's called an "inline". However, I just wanted to clarify for the rest of the readers, that the issue is not with the term Primitive, the issue is with the ballistics of the new inline muzzleloaders because they shooter farther and faster, but, they are still "primitive" regardless due to the way they are "loaded".

I say...
Not so much. There is a huge advantage just in the basic concept of inlines...where the spark travels directly "in line" with the powder charge and the projectile rather than on the almost, if not 90 degree path that it took with "primitive" muzzleloaders. Equally important, with "primitive" weapons, using granulated powder was a much bigger issue than using the pellets that nearly everyone uses today. There was always the risk of mis-measuring your powder which obviously would impact your shot placement. That is no longer an issue. Granulated powder was also much more prone to the effects of moist or wet conditions than pellets which are stored in plastic, water tight cases. Lastly, the twist rate on rifle barrels todays shorter inlines is more than what it was on the old long barrel "primitive" weapons. Higher twist rate = greater accuracy.
Bottom line....IMO, modern inline muzzleloaders are not the same as the old style muzzleloaders and you won't change my mind on that.
Crossbows (horizontal...that are shouldered and shot like a gun) are not the same as a verticle bow (long, recurve or compound) and you will not change my mind on that either.

Last edited:

Inkd

This I have no comment on since I don't care either way about who uses a bow when or what kind, as I said before, whether its a vertical or horizontal, a bow is a bow unless it uses a cartridge with black power, then it is gun, they didn't name it CrossGun. I will also add, that if you use a trigger style release then you have no argument.

Same holds true for the modern "in-line" muzzle loaders; they should not be considered "primitive" and therefore not allowed during the muzzle loader season. Yes, yes, I get it, you load them via the muzzle and therefore....
However, I think that the original intent of defining the ML season was before these new, modern guns came as far as they have.

You say....
I will let the record show that your issue is not with the term "primitive", your issue is with ballistics of the firearms in question. side lock ball and patch muzzleloaders are considered primitive weapons, they invented the "rifled barrel" it is still considered a primitive weapon, they invented the conical bullet to replace the ball and patch, still a primitive weapon. Nothing has changed, we now use a conical bullet and a "plastic patch" better known as a sabot, the rifling is nothing new and the loading sequence is the same. Does anybody even understand the purpose or creation of the term "inline" I know for a fact most guys that own an inline don't even know why it's called an "inline". However, I just wanted to clarify for the rest of the readers, that the issue is not with the term Primitive, the issue is with the ballistics of the new inline muzzleloaders because they shooter farther and faster, but, they are still "primitive" regardless due to the way they are "loaded".

I say...
Not so much. There is a huge advantage just in the basic concept of inlines...where the spark travels directly "in line" with the powder charge and the projectile rather than on the almost, if not 90 degree path that it took with "primitive" muzzleloaders. Equally important, with "primitive" weapons, using granulated powder was a much bigger issue than using the pellets that nearly everyone uses today. There was always the risk of mis-measuring your powder which obviously would impact your shot placement. That is no longer an issue. Granulated powder was also much more prone to the effects of moist or wet conditions than pellets which are stored in plastic, water tight cases. Lastly, the twist rate on rifle barrels todays shorter inlines is more than what it was on the old long barrel "primitive" weapons. Higher twist rate = greater accuracy.
Bottom line....IMO, modern inline muzzleloaders are not the same as the old style muzzleloaders and you won't change my mind on that.
Crossbows (horizontal...that are shouldered and shot like a gun) are not the same as a verticle bow (long, recurve or compound) and you will not change my mind on that either.

Bulldog, that was you that posted a picture of the coyote before, right? You also posted a picture of that nice buck you said was taken off of Wynne Rd?

Inkd

That was a beauty!!!! I live down off Wynn Rd too, if you or DOWHAT ever need help dragging or cleaning, hit me up. I usually hunt on the base after work but I got permission to hunt my neighbors property last year so I may be spending more time close to home. I may have seen that big boy today on my way to work, either that or there's a small elk down in Ridge.