Curbing stall/divider kicking before am feedings

Sentry

Hi,

I've used a soda can with coins and duct tape to secure the top. It's worked on quite a few young geldings with the same behavior. I've never tried it with a mare and probably wouldn't. You can just shake the can or throw it at them - it's harmless, but can be effective. The biggest draw back is it may upset the other horses. The can has to be fucused on the culprit. It does take a few day for him to learn to settle down and the others to learn that they're not the target. He'll need voice repremand and the other need some follow up if they were startled.

highnote

I have a mare that often picks up one front leg while she eats her grain. She never kicks with the hinds, and she never paws with the fronts, but she will pick up a front leg and hold it in the air. She does not do it every time, but maybe 50/50. It is the weirdest thing (looks like a flamingo!) Since it was somewhat similar to the issues on this thread (unusual behavior during feeding time) I thought I would mention, and see if anyone has any ideas why. And no, she is not lame, or sore, or in pain. She is perfectly healthy, and only does it for the 3 minutes it takes her to eat her grain ration.

deuce

I think moving to a new stall might be the first option then if that doesn't work - use the consequence of the dressage whip when kicking.

ElliesMom

I have a mare that often picks up one front leg while she eats her grain. She never kicks with the hinds, and she never paws with the fronts, but she will pick up a front leg and hold it in the air. She does not do it every time, but maybe 50/50. It is the weirdest thing (looks like a flamingo!) Since it was somewhat similar to the issues on this thread (unusual behavior during feeding time) I thought I would mention, and see if anyone has any ideas why. And no, she is not lame, or sore, or in pain. She is perfectly healthy, and only does it for the 3 minutes it takes her to eat her grain ration.

THat is a "happy leg"....I have a sweet gelding like that too. He also gets happy leg before a ride.