Curbside Trash Collection Services

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm think about signing up for curbside trash collection services at my house. Was looking for thoughts an opinions on the various garbage truck services in St. Mary's. Price you pay, number of pick ups included in that price, level of service etc.

TIA

PeoplesElbow

Waste Management twice a week for a 96 gallon can, original price was something like $126 every three months, I called and complained and they lowered it to $77 every three months.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Waste Management twice a week for a 96 gallon can, original price was something like $126 every three months, I called and complained and they lowered it to $77 every three months.

Looked at their Website and they want $33 per month for a regular trash can and a recycling one. Pick up once per week. DO they make you have a recycling can? I couldn't get pricing for twice per week pick up.

PeoplesElbow

Looked at their Website and they want $33 per month for a regular trash can and a recycling one. Pick up once per week. DO they make you have a recycling can? I couldn't get pricing for twice per week pick up.

No recycling can here.

Occasionally they pick up a day late, no biggie for me I just leave the can out along the road. most of my neighborhood now uses Evergreen trash service since they came through offering their service at a lower price, I used this price to get my bill with WM set to the same.

Evergreen is once a week, I think, really I only need once a week pickup but in the summer I bag my grass and throw it out with the trash, and the leaves in the fall do let me make use of twice a week pickup.

MarieB

We used Goode until they stopped recycling pickup. They had good service. We now use evergreen and I've had no problems with them. They even pick up yard waste .

Waste management was awful - customer service is terrible (when they actually do answer) amongst other things.

lovinmaryland

Can you give some details for why you canceled?

The price only includes once a week pick up. My family goes through roughly a bag of trash per day. Their container could barely hold 5 bags of trash so I would place a bag on the ground next to the container. They wouldn't take it. I called asked what the deal was and was told only trash they would collect was trash in the container. Sooo if you have boxes, debris, or anything like that if its not in the container it aint getting picked up. They offered me another container at the same price per month as my first container.

We ended up cancelling and now we just take it to the dump ourselves since I pass by there on the way to work every day.

PeoplesElbow

The price only includes once a week pick up. My family goes through roughly a bag of trash per day. Their container could barely hold 5 bags of trash so I would place a bag on the ground next to the container. They wouldn't take it. I called asked what the deal was and was told only trash they would collect was trash in the container. Sooo if you have boxes, debris, or anything like that if its not in the container it aint getting picked up. They offered me another container at the same price per month as my first container.

We ended up cancelling and now we just take it to the dump ourselves since I pass by there on the way to work every day.

Just curious, how is that awful? Their flier when I started service in 2008 said exactly that.

On my route there is only the driver of the truck, nobody to pick up stuff. I have to say I like the normal driver, one day I had forgotten and as he passed he saw me up at my house with my can in hand, he stopped and backed up for me. He did not have to do that.

sockgirl77

Waste Management was the most expensive that I've ever had, but the only one that I did not have issues with. Evergreen and Goode's were absolutely horrible.

FED_UP

Evergreen 71.00 every 3 months, 1 day a week pick up. For the first year they gave us a deal of 60.00 every 3 months, ask for that deal.

sockgirl77

Evergreen 71.00 every 3 months, 1 day a week pick up. For the first year they gave us a deal of 60.00 every 3 months, ask for that deal.

I had major issues with them. Not only did they almost back into my vehicle several times (I had to scream to get the driver to stop), but I caught their guys toking up at the end of my cul-de-sac. Oh and I damn near got run off of the road by one of their trucks yesterday. The driver was texting...

Smith

I have used Evergreen for almost 2 years now, and overall I'm satisfied with the service. Previously I took my trash to a drop-off center in the back of my truck. I have a very long, very steep driveway, so I am not interested in curbside pickup. I went with Evergreen because they offer white-glove service where they walk up my driveway to retrieve the can next to my house, then bring it back up after they empty it for an extra $5 per month. Therefore, my bill is $90 per quarter instead of the usual $75 per quarter.

lovinmaryland

Just curious, how is that awful? Their flier when I started service in 2008 said exactly that.

On my route there is only the driver of the truck, nobody to pick up stuff. I have to say I like the normal driver, one day I had forgotten and as he passed he saw me up at my house with my can in hand, he stopped and backed up for me. He did not have to do that.

Hmmm odd on our route there is two guys. There were other things but that was my main issue. We didn't receive a flyer just went w/ who we saw the neighbors using. I was coming from La Plata where trash was handled by the city and they took any and everything (couches, boxes, debris, etc...)

I know you're not looking to make dump runs and would prefer a service for pickup. I'm just going to throw this out there.

I cancelled WM back in July 2001 and opted to take it to the convenience center myself. At the time, I was paying $30/mo. That's 170 months not paying a service for a savings of $360/yr, $5100 total. That's at 2001 rates. I know it's gone WAY up since then.

Worth it to me to make a 10 minute diversion to do it myself.

Another way to look at this is that the convenience center is not 'free'. You and I pay taxes that support the operation in St Marys. So you pay for the convenience center and then again for a pickup service.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Another way to look at this is that the convenience center is not 'free'. You and I pay taxes that support the operation in St Marys. So you pay for the convenience center and then again for a pickup service.

Exactly. I can handle trash for one once a week all by myself.