Curious about crime stats

SamSpade

Is crime way down - or up? (And I mean actual crime, not going out without a mask or standing too close to people).

I would think some crime is down because there's no one outside anywhere. How do you mug or rob someone, when they're not there?
How do you burgle a residence when everyone is home?

On the other hand - is it up because businesses are closed, and no one's watching?
What do the numbers say?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was curious about this also. I think that the courts are closed, so there may not be much to report on... 🤷

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I work at a PD in Va. Officers have been told that they will not be going to any minor calls. Just those that are deemed emergencies like robbery, burglary, assaults,etc. There are days when there are only two pieces of evidence waiting for me to process and then there are days where there is almost 30 pieces. Obviously it depends on the type of crime but from my vantage point, it seem that crime is less where I work due to the fact that not everything is getting attention and people are not out and about as much to get into trouble.

PeoplesElbow

Crime stats are always interesting to me. About 20 years ago they found out crime was down on Friday nights if there was an Adam Sandler movie in theaters. The reasoning was that most crime was committed by young men that tended to like immature comedy.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I think that's a lot of it: less people out thinking up ways to screw up and less targets of opportunity. The squeegee kids in Baltimore are probably having a down period as well as the muggers at Inner Harbor. More locally there are less people just hanging out cutting down on opportunities. Plus, with the paranoia generated if anyone gets within 6 ft. people are more situationally aware.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I was actually delighted (and relieved) when the police showed up at my parents house this morning.
The Officers at my work are actually looking for stuff to do. If they hear of an Officer "finding" a crime in progress, they are like, "Damn, how he/she find that??? All I come across are out of date tags." :lol:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Crime stats are always interesting to me. About 20 years ago they found out crime was down on Friday nights if there was an Adam Sandler movie in theaters. The reasoning was that most crime was committed by young men that tended to like immature comedy.
This sounds like a conclusion drawn by the authors of Freakanomics. Drill down a few layers with enough valid data and it's shocking what you find.

SamSpade

This sounds like a conclusion drawn by the authors of Freakanomics. Drill down a few layers with enough valid data and it's shocking what you find.
A lot like the stats baseball announcers come up with - when you have a small enough data set, you can conclude all kinds of things.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I was curious about this also. I think that the courts are closed, so there may not be much to report on... 🤷
but the jail is. Cops are still responding. Check out the reports in the forum where those reports are posted.
Interesting that they state the party was "arrested". Also haven't heard any of the 3 SoMD counties state they were releasing detainees.
Technically you can't call them prisoners because until they have a trail, they are only being detained.