CVS Pharmacies

itsbob

I bowl overhand
kwillia said:
I have often wondered how much training the 18-20 year olds that fill the presciptions at CVS in Leonardtown actually get...:confused:
Training?? What training??

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
julz20684 said:
I'm just too trusting...I have never questioned or checked my scripts, but after reading this article and these posts, I will certainly pay more attention to it.'
I always check and double check prescriptions. My son is allergic to the -cillin antibiotics, and his doctor once attempted to prescribe amoxicillin for an ear infection. :ohwell: Having worked for doctors before, I know that in most cases they try to squeeze as many patients into an hour as possible, and it's often up to their assistants to flag any allergies or past complications that may be of interest. I just don't trust other people. :lol:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
migtig said:
All pharamecies make mistakes. They are operated by human beings. Humans are not perfect and have been known to make errors. End of story.

You should always double check your medicines anyway before taking them. Heck, if I get prescribed something by my doctor that I am unfamiliar with I look it up and may decide to not even take it and will call him back with a request to change my prescription. Even doctors are human beings and have been known to make errors.

So just how many errors are acceptable? It is their responsibility to fill prescriptions correctly. To check and then check again to make sure they're accurate. This isn't freaking McDonalds, if you mess up an order there could be serious and potentially fatal consequences. They litterally have the health and wellbeing of other people in their hands and need to be held accountable for their actions. If a doctor screws up enough you can believe he'll lose his license to practice. Why should a pharmacy be held to lower standards?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
pixiegirl said:
So just how many errors are acceptable? It is their responsibility to fill prescriptions correctly. To check and then check again to make sure they're accurate. This isn't freaking McDonalds, if you mess up an order there could be serious and potentially fatal consequences. They litterally have the health and wellbeing of other people in their hands and need to be held accountable for their actions. If a doctor screws up enough you can believe he'll lose his license to practice. Why should a pharmacy be held to lower standards?
Agreed.

punjabigyrl

Technicians go through some good training. They also have to take tests and become certified techs. I have always seen that the tech fill the prescription and then the pharmacist then does the final check.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
pixiegirl said:
Sorry, I'm with Nickel. I have never trusted anybody as much as I trust myself. And for anybody to trust someone else a 100% with their health and well being, well then you gets what you gets. JMO. If you want to be ticked off about it, fine, but I think you also need to accept responsibilty for yourself and family.

Doctor's told me I'd never walk again. I didn't listen to them. I accepted responsibilty for my own health and took action. They wanted to prescribe me drugs that would reduce my pain and make me a zombie. I tossed the pills and embraced the pain. At some point, you need to do your own research and not believe that your doctor or pharmacist is a demi-god and always right.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
migtig said:
Sorry, I'm with Nickel. I have never trusted anybody as much as I trust myself. And for anybody to trust someone else a 100% with their health and well being, well then you gets what you gets. JMO. If you want to be ticked off about it, fine, but I think you also need to accept responsibilty for yourself and family.

Doctor's told me I'd never walk again. I didn't listen to them. I accepted responsibilty for my own health and took action. They wanted to prescribe me drugs that would reduce my pain and make me a zombie. I tossed the pills and embraced the pain. At some point, you need to do your own research and not believe that your doctor or pharmacist is a demi-god and always right.

I don't recall saying ANYWHERE that I don't take responsibility for myself or my family. B doesn't like for both of us to take the rats to the doctor together because I often end up in an arguement with the doctor over the meds she wants to give them as I don't believe in anti-biotics at all for ear infections or the RSV G had.

My point was they have a job to do, a job that affects other peoples lives, they should be held accountable for their actions and there should be some recourse for not performing up to par. If I show up to work and do a half ass job I'm going to get fired. It's flipping ridiculous to not expect a pharmacy to fill a prescription correctly. Unacceptable.

And Catt made an excellent point earlier. Not everyone is capable of checking their own scripts. My grandma is 70 years old and lives by herself with no computer. Just exactly how do you propose she verifies her meds?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
pixiegirl said:
I don't recall saying ANYWHERE that I don't take responsibility for myself or my family. B doesn't like for both of us to take the rats to the doctor together because I often end up in an arguement with the doctor over the meds she wants to give them as I don't believe in anti-biotics at all for ear infections or the RSV G had.

My point was they have a job to do, a job that affects other peoples lives, they should be held accountable for their actions and there should be some recourse for not performing up to par. If I show up to work and do a half ass job I'm going to get fired. It's flipping ridiculous to not expect a pharmacy to fill a prescription correctly. Unacceptable.

And Catt made an excellent point earlier. Not everyone is capable of checking their own scripts. My grandma is 70 years old and lives by herself with no computer. Just exactly how do you propose she verifies her meds?
I ain't picking on ya girl...I am using a general YOU.

Again, I say everybody's human and I don't believe anybody is a demi-god. If you want to make folks into being demi-gods - then tell your congressman to make laws. That's all I got to say on that.

I don't have an answer about your grandmom. Actually I don't have an answer for ANYTHING, just an opinion. I personally bought my grandmom a computer and pay for her internet each year, mostly so I could stay in touch with her easier, however she's smarter than me on it. She also has kids and grandkids that live close enough by to check on her each and every day, and go with her to all her doctor appointments, and hair appointments. However, she's even more stubborn than I and won't take everything prescribed for her cause she says it isn't natural. She might be right, considering she's already made it to her 90's, outliving both my parents.

If a pharmacy is a "repeat offender" of dispensing the wrong meds for prescription fills, there is something wrong with their verification process and they are responsible for correcting it immediately.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
migtig said:
I ain't picking on ya girl...I am using a general YOU.

Again, I say everybody's human and I don't believe anybody is a demi-god. If you want to make folks into being demi-gods - then tell your congressman to make laws. That's all I got to say on that.

I don't have an answer about your grandmom. Actually I don't have an answer for ANYTHING, just an opinion. I personally bought my grandmom a computer and pay for her internet each year, mostly so I could stay in touch with her easier, however she's smarter than me on it. She also has kids and grandkids that live close enough by to check on her each and every day, and go with her to all her doctor appointments, and hair appointments. However, she's even more stubborn than I and won't take everything prescribed for her cause she says it isn't natural. She might be right, considering she's already made it to her 90's, outliving both my parents.

So grandma is doing exactly what you said not to do... And for anybody to trust someone else a 100% with their health and well being.

I don't expect anyone to be perfect but I do expect that they do their job correctly and make the best possible effort to not make mistakes. Apparently this is not happening or else there wouldn't be *multiple* occurances posted here. If mistakes are made they should be held accountable, period.

Another example, I remember being 15-16ish and being old enough to take myself or have a friend take me to the doctor. I had been given scripts and filled them myself. At that young age I never even thought about checking it to make sure it was correct.

The bottom line is not everyone is capable or will check what they get from the pharmacy. There should be a very high level of assurance that your script will be filled correctly. Just as you don't expect the people working there to be "perfect" you can't expect such of the general population either.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
pixiegirl said:
I TOTALLY disagree. How would you fel if baby Nic was given twice the dr. prescibed dose? I'd be beyond furious.
Of course I'd be furious if a physician prescribed or a pharmicist dispensed incorrect medication to my little Bubba Baby. Thankfully I've never had to give him any medication thus far other than cough and cold stuff, but you can rest assured that from here on out, I'll be researching to make sure that any future meds will be the right kind and the dosage appropriate for him.

Frankly, I'd doubt that I'd ever give my child meds for ADHD/ADD in the first place. It's my opinion that they are often times unnecessarily overprescribed.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
BadGirl said:
Of course I'd be furious if a physician prescribed or a pharmicist dispensed incorrect medication to my little Bubba Baby. Thankfully I've never had to give him any medication thus far other than cough and cold stuff, but you can rest assured that from here on out, I'll be researching to make sure that any future meds will be the right kind and the dosage appropriate for him.

Frankly, I'd doubt that I'd ever give my child meds for ADHD/ADD in the first place. It's my opinion that they are often times unnecessarily overprescribed.

I agree with the last part whole-heartedly. My point was I'd be furious no matter what the medication was if it was filled incorrectly. The pharmacy got lucky in that there weren't more serious ramifications. I don't care if it's ADHD meds, heart meds, asthma meds, etc. They have a job to do and it should be done correctly.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
pixiegirl said:
So grandma is doing exactly what you said not to do... And for anybody to trust someone else a 100% with their health and well being.

Actually my grandmom does her own thing and the only person she listens to is herself...IF she has her hearing aid on that day. :lmao:

She's made it to her 90's, and she still smears lard on her chest if she feels like she might be catching cold. :shrug:

My Mom died in her early 30's by listening to herself and refusing medical treatment.

My Dad died in his 50's by listening to medical professionals.

I told you, I don't have an answer, just an opinion. However, I consider medicine like anything else for sell - I think it's wise to be an educated consumer. I personally don't understand why anyone would choose not to educate themselves, especially when it's their life at stake. :shrug:

J

julz20684

pixiegirl said:

:yeahthat: Shouldn't people in this field be held to a higher standard and quality control :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
pixiegirl said:
My god! Pixie has a rant that I completely and wholeheartedly agree with! :faint:

:lol:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Nickel said:
I always check and double check prescriptions. My son is allergic to the -cillin antibiotics, and his doctor once attempted to prescribe amoxicillin for an ear infection. :ohwell: Having worked for doctors before, I know that in most cases they try to squeeze as many patients into an hour as possible, and it's often up to their assistants to flag any allergies or past complications that may be of interest. I just don't trust other people. :lol:

I have to do the same thing for myself with the -cillins. I make sure I remind the doc I cannot take anything in the -cillin family and I also make sure the pharacy where I take it will not be giving me anything from the -cillin family. Pain in the neck but I would rather remind everyone I deal with I can't have something than to be rushed to the ER due to someone's careless mistake.

I haven't had any problems with a pharacy filling the scripts incorrectly. I would be very upset if something was filled incorrectly, whether it was just a minor thing such as the incorrect dosage or a major thing such as the incorrect medicine in the bottle.

alex

I stopped dealing with CVS a few years ago when my instead of prilosec they gave me Prozac! They put the prilosec script label on an unopened bottle of prozac! They were very unconcerned about the error when I brought it to the Pharamcist's attention. Just an "Opps, sorry. Here is the right one."

Now I check all my scripts. Just recently my generic HBP meds looked different from the last script. I asked the pharamcist about it and he told me they had changed suppliers but the drugs were correct. They are very nice at the Giant in First Colony.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
alex said:
I stopped dealing with CVS a few years ago when my instead of prilosec they gave me Prozac! .
I don't see the problem with this.. you'd still have the heartburn, but you wouldn't care!!