Dallas v Greenbay...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Terrible penalty on Lang.

I wish I could put Aikman on mute. What a homer. He shouldn't work cowboys games. He's not very impartial.

Now if the packers don't go into ravens prevent win mode, they should be playing next week.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I would not have gone for 2 after the last GB TD. If Dallas scores a TD, and gets the 2 pt'er here, the best GB could do with a FG is tie the game. With the PAT, GB puts themself to win with a FG, providing Dallas scores and the 2 pt'er.

We'll see in a minute. You know Dallas will go for 2 iffn' they score.

Great game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bull####!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not see how that is not a catch. He catches it, takes at least two steps, lunging for the end zone. If anything, it's a fumble he recovers and goes back to the 1/2 yard line because he can't advance a fumble. It is my understanding that it is only catches that end in the end zone do you have to control it though contact with the ground even though you took steps and make a 'football' move.

I'm a skins fan, like Green bay but, man, a spectacular catch is over ruled. I think it's gonna be said to be a bad call tomorrow BECAUSE that criteria does not count other than plays into the end zone.

Sorry, man. I'd feel cheated.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Did the booth rule the ball hit the turf? Every replay I saw on Fox just showed the ball coming loose off the receivers hand as the hand hit the ground in the field of play, and he ended up catching it, as best I could tell, in the field of play. I missed the official explanation.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Did the booth rule the ball hit the turf? Every replay I saw on Fox just showed the ball coming loose off the receivers hand as the hand hit the ground in the field of play, and he ended up catching it, as best I could tell, in the field of play. I missed the official explanation.

I think the rule says you can NOT lose possession 'through contact with the ground' BUT, I think it only applies to plays that end up with the player landing in the end zone.

I think it's a catch, 100%.

Monello

PREMO Member
Look for a new rule for next season. Sort of like the tuck rule from a few years ago.

I'm so glad Dallas is done. At first glance it looked like an amazing catch. The end result was unexpected but welcomed. I guess they know how the lions feel with the reversed non call.

Getting 5 1/2 looks brilliant now.

I do not see how that is not a catch. He catches it, takes at least two steps, lunging for the end zone. If anything, it's a fumble he recovers and goes back to the 1/2 yard line because he can't advance a fumble. It is my understanding that it is only catches that end in the end zone do you have to control it though contact with the ground even though you took steps and make a 'football' move.

I'm a skins fan, like Green bay but, man, a spectacular catch is over ruled. I think it's gonna be said to be a bad call tomorrow BECAUSE that criteria does not count other than plays into the end zone.

Sorry, man. I'd feel cheated.

It's just a terrible rule. We've talked about this rule / interpretation before, it was 2 or 3 years ago I think.

It doesn't depend on whether you're going into the end zone or not, the rule applies everywhere - if you're going to the ground as you catch the ball, you have to maintain control all the way through (or, if the ball doesn't contact the ground, you can reestablish control if you stay in bounds). And the interpretation of going to the ground as you catch the ball is something like this - if you catch the ball and fall to the ground at any point within the next 2 minutes, then you were going to the ground when you caught it.

So... a terrible rule, but based on the terrible rule the call was probably right. The NFL is full of these absurd rules / interpretations these days. It's a shame, but football is such a compelling sport that we keep watching the NFL even with the terrible rules and rulings of late - and we will continue to watch so they will continue to get away with the BS.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Look for a new rule for next season. Sort of like the tuck rule from a few years ago.

I'm so glad Dallas is done. At first glance it looked like an amazing catch. The end result was unexpected but welcomed. I guess they know how the lions feel with the reversed non call.

Getting 5 1/2 looks brilliant now.

I'm telling y'ah, man. Tomorrow, the league is gonna say 'he made a football move but, not enough of one...' to try and save this. Pereiera (sp?) was just one with Howie and Howie let him off easy but, did throw in the three steps. Clearly, he was lunging for the end zone. That's a catch.

And the 5.5 makes me laugh how that works, how spreads work and just suck us in. Too bad I didn't put a million on it. :lol:

Too bad I don't have a million to put on it...

I thought the same thing - that it was a catch despite the terrible rule because he regained possession and it wasn't clear from the replay that the ball ever touched the ground. But then I went back and saw that one of the replay angles did show the ball pretty clearly touching the ground.

I think Bryant got robbed on that one, but it happens so often these days.

Monello

PREMO Member
It's just a terrible rule. We've talked about this rule / interpretation before, it was 2 or 3 years ago I think.

It doesn't depend on whether you're going into the end zone or not, the rule applies everywhere - if you're going to the ground as you catch the ball, you have to maintain control all the way through (or, if the ball doesn't contact the ground, you can reestablish control if you stay in bounds). And the interpretation of going to the ground as you catch the ball is something like this - if you catch the ball and fall to the ground at any point within the next 2 minutes, then you were going to the ground when you caught it.

So... a terrible rule, but based on the terrible rule the call was probably right. The NFL is full of these absurd rules / interpretations these days. It's a shame, but football is such a compelling sport that we keep watching the NFL even with the terrible rules and rulings of late - and we will continue to watch so they will continue to get away with the BS.

The rule is neither good nor bad. The rule is the same for both teams.

How ironic that a week after dallas benefited from a non call, their coach in on the tube whining about the call that didn't go their way.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I don't know how they salvage this because he did take 3 steps and he did, clearly, lunge for the end zone and, isn't that the qualifier; if you make a football move, you're good to go?

Seems to me the Calvin Johnson one, we took steps but, was simply on his way to the ground.

All in all a poorly reffed game though I can't hold them responsible for that play as they called it a catch. But, the TWO plays GB players clearly lunged at Romo's knees, early, no call, man!

The rule is neither good nor bad. The rule is the same for both teams.

How ironic that a week after dallas benefited from a non call, their coach in on the tube whining about the call that didn't go their way.

The rule is terrible whether it's the same for both teams or not. It's a crazy definition for what should be considered a catch. A lot of the new personal foul rules are terrible - they defy basic human physiology, physics, and proper tackiling technique - even though they are the same for both sides (in theory at least).

What Bryant did should be considered a catch. But based on the rule and how the NFL has seen it interpreted, it isn't considered a catch.