Dead friends and family

SamSpade

I have at least a dozen people on my FB friends list who are deceased - some of them for a great number of years. Do you delete people from your social media when they die or keep them on?

I'm only just seeing this - almost every person I've friended on Facebook - when they die, it's a very short time before a family member deletes the account. A shame, because sometimes it takes me a while to think of what I'd like to say about how they contributed to my life.

acommondisaster

I know I have some dead friends, but I don't spend a lot of time (read zero) looking at my friend list, so it really doesn't matter. I'm not going to spend any time wading through my friend list to delete people who are dead or Democrats.

littlelady

God bless the USA
When my son died, it was on Facebook before I was notified. Fortunately, I don't have a Facebook account so I didn't see it. Others might not be so lucky. I can't imagine learning of the passing of a loved one in that manner.

I can’t even imagine. I stopped using FB years ago. So sorry that happened to you. I will pray for you.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have at least a dozen people on my FB friends list who are deceased - some of them for a great number of years. Do you delete people from your social media when they die or keep them on?
Most I still have are now memorial pages. I keep them as a way of remembrance between friends and enjoy when old memories come up.

Did you know you can now specify who is in charge of your FB account when you die? Stumbled upon that yesterday in my settings and thought that was a good idea.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What truth is that? Please explain. Thanks. I do know that I know more about truth than you do.

Peck yourself out of the hen house. You can do it!! :)
You admitted to not using FB anymore after your relentless claims that you have never used social media, other than these forums. That seems to be the truth. Did something change?

black dog

Free America

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So I was right. Thanks!

I've found that some people are closet social media lookie loos, and never post. I used to have a co-worker like that. She would claim to not be a FB user and only had it to keep in touch with her daugthers. Anytime you mentioned going somewhere or doing something you might have posted on FB, she would say "oh, yeah - I saw that on FB". BUT! She never shared anything herself.

She never shared her own life or goings-on, because she really didn't have a life or any goings-on. She just stalked other's pages and would use things you said to others or memes you posted as fodder for her office gossip.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've found that some people are closet social media lookie loos, and never post. I used to have a co-worker like that. She would claim to not be a FB user and only had it to keep in touch with her daugthers. Anytime you mentioned going somewhere or doing something you might have posted on FB, she would say "oh, yeah - I saw that on FB". BUT! She never shared anything herself.

She never shared her own life or goings-on, because she really didn't have a life or any goings-on. She just stalked other's pages and would use things you said to others or memes you posted as fodder for her office gossip.
Why not just own it?

mitzi

I have people in my friends that I knew 40 plus years ago and we don't have the same 'friends' on FB. Some post a lot and some hardly at all. Sometimes they'll pop in my mind that I haven't seen anything from them in a long time. I'll check their page to see if I've missed something. Sure enough 4 of them have died. There's one now that would post funny stuff everyday. He hasn't posted for nearly 9 months. I wonder if he's okay or just got sick of FB.