Debating on suing our doctor

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
In general I am not to fond of the idea of suing ( unless there was intent to harm someone)..especially doctors, they are, after all only human.

That being said, it is their job to give safe and sound advice..there are handy little books that every nurse and most doctors carry that would easily determine if drugs interact. They should check, and they def shouldn't be so flippant when you bring your concerns to the table. I am a MAJOR advocate for being totally involved in your own healthcare..esp when dealing with a chronic disorder like Bipolar...but this is what doctors and pharmacists are trained to avoid..you should be able to trust medicine given by your doctor..if you cannot a new doctor is certainly called for...but in the future I would purchase a drug interaction book, or check one of the many websites and doublecheck before starting a new medication. Many psychiatric drugs are prone to interaction with others... and many GP type doctors do not have much experience with these drugs..as they are generally prescribed by mental health professionals..so it may be very important for you to do your own checks. I am sorry you are having this issue..because it does take some finess to control bipolar..i hope all goes back to normal :)

Cowgirl

You trusted the doctor's opinion on mixing meds with her condition being it what it is without doing your own research?

Many psychiatric drugs are prone to interaction with others... and many GP type doctors do not have much experience with these drugs..as they are generally prescribed by mental health professionals..so it may be very important for you to do your own checks.

It's the doctor's job to ensure the drug he/she prescribes is safe for the patient. That's why they went to school for 8+ years, that's why they get paid so much. Hell, why would we even need doctors if we need to do everything ourselves?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
You took her 3 times even though she was suicidal after the first visit?

You trusted the doctor's opinion on mixing meds with her condition being it what it is without doing your own research?

Just playing devils advocate here but there is a certain amount of personal accountability you should take in your own healthcare. I completely understand trusting the professionals (considering they are a doctor) but after passing out and worrying about the suicidal tendencies from the first visit; I'd have to do due-diligence in research before returning. Or at the very least; get a second opinion from another doctor.

My heart goes out to you and I am genuinely concerned. Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Are you freakin serious??? You really are a headcase. :crazy:
Who the hell are we to second guess a Dr. with 8+ years of intense medical training by "doing our own research"?? When did we become Dr.'s? If we don't think something is right, we get a second opinion.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
It's the doctor's job to ensure the drug he/she prescribes is safe for the patient. That's why they went to school for 8+ years, that's why they get paid so much. Hell, why would we even need doctors if we need to do everything ourselves?

I aknowledge that..but there are so many drugs..and many that are not generally prescribed by GPs...that remembering every interaction is a super human feat...that is why they make drug interaction charts..the doc should have looked..no doubt they should have looked...but being human..its best if you are a willing and interested partner in your own healthcare...then working together with the doctor you can find something that works for you. still you are right..the doc was clearly wrong here and did not take the appropriate steps...I didnt want to sound like the doc was not at fault...

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Who the hell are we to second guess a Dr. with 8+ years of intense medical training by "doing our own research"?? When did we become Dr.'s? If we don't think something is right, we get a second opinion.

Because you know your own health better than a doctor ever will...only you can say that a medication doesn't make you "feel right" or that though your lab results look better you dont feel better.....or some such..second opinions are great..but work for you even better if you go in well versed in what you are dealing with. I know people with chronic disorders that are far more knowledgable and up to date with research on their particular disorder than any GP ..and that helps them determine the appropriate care for them..in conjunction with their doc...Im not talking about telling your doc hes treating your cold wrong..or telling him how to set your broken leg..I mean people who deal with chronic lifetime disorders..

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED

Well yes I am:killingme

Sparx

send this sadness to Obama?
He can fix it BTW!

I think there's more to this story, just me?

I feel for their situation but you are wrong about Obama. It's the conservatives in congress wanting to limit the ability and amount of damages one can sue for through tort reform.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
You took her 3 times even though she was suicidal after the first visit?

Just playing devils advocate here but there is a certain amount of personal accountability you should take in your own healthcare. I completely understand trusting the professionals (considering they are a doctor) but after passing out and worrying about the suicidal tendencies from the first visit; I'd have to do due-diligence in research before returning. Or at the very least; get a second opinion from another doctor.

My heart goes out to you and I am genuinely concerned. Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

No, she wasnt suicidal UNTIL the third visit. And since we were already in the process of getting those shots, noone else would deal with it (I.E. new xrays, new eval, yadda yadda yadda.)

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
In general I am not to fond of the idea of suing ( unless there was intent to harm someone)..especially doctors, they are, after all only human.

That being said, it is their job to give safe and sound advice..there are handy little books that every nurse and most doctors carry that would easily determine if drugs interact. They should check, and they def shouldn't be so flippant when you bring your concerns to the table. I am a MAJOR advocate for being totally involved in your own healthcare..esp when dealing with a chronic disorder like Bipolar...but this is what doctors and pharmacists are trained to avoid..you should be able to trust medicine given by your doctor..if you cannot a new doctor is certainly called for...but in the future I would purchase a drug interaction book, or check one of the many websites and doublecheck before starting a new medication. Many psychiatric drugs are prone to interaction with others... and many GP type doctors do not have much experience with these drugs..as they are generally prescribed by mental health professionals..so it may be very important for you to do your own checks. I am sorry you are having this issue..because it does take some finess to control bipolar..i hope all goes back to normal :)
Im not a fan of suing either, as that should be the last resort, but when its missed by two doctors AND a pharmacist, I begin to question: WHOS NEXT. Thats why I am considering it. For the next person.

punjabigyrl

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I personally think you have a case with the doctor and the pharmacist(s). When Doctors are in medical school, they are 2courses that they lack in, they are different types of meds and thier interactions and nutrition. Pharmacists on the other hand are constantly tested on the interactions. Ocassionally, you'll get a doctor that is well versed with meds and nutrition. That is also why pharmacy students are graduating with a pharm D and not a bachelors.

The pharmasist should have definately caught the interactions with the meds. However, with that being said, If you went to another pharmacy and they didn't have a record of all the meds your wife is on then, I can see how it got missed. Hope your wife feels better.

C

Chickenman2x

mal practice ?

My wife has bad knees and has had both knees operated on. She also has bipolar disorder, but you'd never know it if you met her. So, shes on meds for that. Well, shes told she needs to get knee shots for the pain, since she has arthritis. Our family doctor sends a referral to a knee doctor. I take my wife for the knee shots, and she passes out. Soooo, our family doctor prescribes Valium to help her cope with the shots. He knows already full well shes taking meds for bipolar, and what each of them is, but we ask anyway "is this safe to take with her other meds?" He says "No problem".
She takes them, we go to get her shots, and 2 days later, shes suicidal. Worst Ive ever seen her. It passes. The following week, I take her again (after she takes her Valium again). 2 days later, same thing. She gets better after being bed ridden this time. We go again the following week, after she has taken Valium again, and I make it a point to ask he knee doctor "You know what shes taking for bipolar, right? Because shes getting more and more unstable every time we come here for shots. He says, should not be a problem..." So we go through with it, and now, shes so bad off, she can barely function. After a few days, shes able to get up again, I tell her I bet all this is due to the Valium, since its the only thing weve done different. My wife gets on the computer and looks it up, and finds out that the Clonzapam shes on is TOXIC when mixed with Valium! WTF? Where do these quacks come from? Then, our family doctor recommends this doctor to handle her psychiatric health and HE wants to take her off her anti-depressant... ?? So now, what started off bad is now getting worse. I am seriously pissed off at this doctor, who has friends who are equally incompetent seeing my wife.

What the hell is wrong with these doctors down here? Cant they read the info patients give them on what meds they are taking? Cant they have the staff look into whether what they are taking is compatible with medicines they prescribe? Rediculous, and downright complacent, in my opinion.

Well if you do win your case what is left over after court fees and IRS is usually not much. Taking meds is like having a drink. You know what you can handle, duh?Doc do what they can if the side efdfects go hay wire yous to blame .Everyone knows about the side effects of meds. Enter at your own risk.You take them long enough you eventually know what works and what doesn't.
Sueing a rich doctor, good luck.

jedi2814

My wife has bad knees and has had both knees operated on. She also has bipolar disorder, but you'd never know it if you met her. So, shes on meds for that. Well, shes told she needs to get knee shots for the pain, since she has arthritis. Our family doctor sends a referral to a knee doctor. I take my wife for the knee shots, and she passes out. Soooo, our family doctor prescribes Valium to help her cope with the shots. He knows already full well shes taking meds for bipolar, and what each of them is, but we ask anyway "is this safe to take with her other meds?" He says "No problem".
She takes them, we go to get her shots, and 2 days later, shes suicidal. Worst Ive ever seen her. It passes. The following week, I take her again (after she takes her Valium again). 2 days later, same thing. She gets better after being bed ridden this time. We go again the following week, after she has taken Valium again, and I make it a point to ask he knee doctor "You know what shes taking for bipolar, right? Because shes getting more and more unstable every time we come here for shots. He says, should not be a problem..." So we go through with it, and now, shes so bad off, she can barely function. After a few days, shes able to get up again, I tell her I bet all this is due to the Valium, since its the only thing weve done different. My wife gets on the computer and looks it up, and finds out that the Clonzapam shes on is TOXIC when mixed with Valium! WTF? Where do these quacks come from? Then, our family doctor recommends this doctor to handle her psychiatric health and HE wants to take her off her anti-depressant... ?? So now, what started off bad is now getting worse. I am seriously pissed off at this doctor, who has friends who are equally incompetent seeing my wife.

What the hell is wrong with these doctors down here? Cant they read the info patients give them on what meds they are taking? Cant they have the staff look into whether what they are taking is compatible with medicines they prescribe? Rediculous, and downright complacent, in my opinion.

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but you don't have a case. Yes, they were incorrect, but to have a case you have to have measurable damages. If he had screwed up giving her the shots and caused more problems or if something had physically happened to her as a result of taking the meds together then you could sue. But in reality you have no damages unless you can prove that she took the Valium and ended up with a hospital stay or more MDs visits or some sort of physical damage. And even if she did end up in the hospital or at the MDs office more often the money wouldn't go to you it would go to pay those bills. Been there, done it.

You CAN make a complaint to the state medical board. They will look at the information and cite the doctor if they deem appropriate. Usually it ends up with just a slap on the wrist unless this MD has multiple violations. It could make this doctor think a little more the next time he treats a patient, but it won't do much for you all except a little personal satisfaction.

In the mean time the best you can do is shop for new physcians. Hope things improve for you soon!

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
Things HAVe improved dramatically, mostly due to US taking the reins away from the doctors. I had my wife get ahold of her old doctor in Michigan who has been her doctor for years, and had him phone in a script. Pretty much ended that nonsense right there.

I dont see suing as a lost cause if someone else gets the benefit. Example: My wife has (no kidding) around 20 or so allergies, some are undiscovered as yet, and she was almost KILLED by the emergency room in a Michigan hospital (a well reknowned one) who gave her a drug for pain WHILE she was being diagnosed for severe abdominal pain, which we thought couldve been diverticulitis. Turned out, she developed a new allergy- Bananas. They gave her this medicine (starts with a "D") and she immediately blacked out. She awoke to multiple doctors reviving her with an antidote who said "welcome back, dont do that again"...

Here was obvious ineptitude between two doctors, both of them friends, both of which knew what she was taking daily which makes a medicine of hers toxic, how is it I have no case again? I forget.... How do you measure this damage? Death? Dont think Ill wait that long. But I DO like the reporting idea. Will DEFINITELY be looking into that one. Its just a matter of time before they do the same thing to another person, out of "overeducated ignorance". And to "chickenman2x"- I dont care what I would "get" out of the situation. I care what might happen to the next unsuspecting person. It might be someones beloved grandma next time. Who knows. And yes, I know my responsibility where meds are concerned, we arent doctors, we dont get PAID to be doctors. Thats THEIR job, they are the experts, and, sadly, we are stuck relying on them. So your post is irrelevant as far as whether we knew how she would be affected by this. This was the first time she took Valium for ANYTHING, and the experts, as it were, prescribed it in spite of her being on meds that would make a "toxin".

Last edited:
C

CalvertNewbie

Things HAVe improved dramatically, mostly due to US taking the reins away from the doctors. I had my wife get ahold of her old doctor in Michigan who has been her doctor for years, and had him phone in a script. Pretty much ended that nonsense right there.

I dont see suing as a lost cause if someone else gets the benefit. Example: My wife has (no kidding) around 20 or so allergies, some are undiscovered as yet, and she was almost KILLED by the emergency room in a Michigan hospital (a well reknowned one) who gave her a drug for pain WHILE she was being diagnosed for severe abdominal pain, which we thought couldve been diverticulitis. Turned out, she developed a new allergy- Bananas. They gave her this medicine (starts with a "D") and she immediately blacked out. She awoke to multiple doctors reviving her with an antidote who said "welcome back, dont do that again"...

Here was obvious ineptitude between two doctors, both of them friends, both of which knew what she was taking daily which makes a medicine of hers toxic, how is it I have no case again? I forget.... How do you measure this damage? Death? Dont think Ill wait that long. But I DO like the reporting idea. Will DEFINITELY be looking into that one. Its just a matter of time before they do the same thing to another person, out of "overeducated ignorance". And to "chickenman2x"- I dont care what I would "get" out of the situation. I care what might happen to the next unsuspecting person. It might be someones beloved grandma next time. Who knows. And yes, I know my responsibility where meds are concerned, we arent doctors, we dont get PAID to be doctors. Thats THEIR job, they are the experts, and, sadly, we are stuck relying on them. So your post is irrelevant as far as whether we knew how she would be affected by this. This was the first time she took Valium for ANYTHING, and the experts, as it were, prescribed it in spite of her being on meds that would make a "toxin".

Glad to hear your wife is doing better. It does amaze me that the professionals didn't do a better job. It's really scary to think that they would prescribe meds that don't interact well with one another. We shouldn't have to be the ones to know how certain meds will react with others we are on - that's what the medical professionals get paid to know. I hope your wife continues to get better, sounds like she has many issues. You must be very patient, you have your hands full. :huggy:

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Why was she given Valium in the first place?
Why was she getting injections in her knee?

Arthiritis in the knee is not cured by any shots.
Weight loss, exercise and anti-inflamitory meds ( advil) is the best until surgery is an option.

And like a few others here, I doubt you have any grounds to sue anyone for this.

Good luck!

Lizzy4459

You haven't mentioned whether or not you were having your prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy. Did your Dr. in MI call in a script to a MI pharmacy and then you had it transferred for fill in MD?

I do believe that doctors tend to rely on the pharmacy to catch any interactions when they shouldn't. I've had a doctor tell me to make sure I always fill at the same pharmacy incase there are any interactions that he might have over looked.