Deer Processing

I just picked up a processed deer at Stauffer's in Loveville. I had them put extra fat in my hot sausage as the regular amount wasn't enough for me. Their sausage with the extra fat is the best I've ever had. Give them a try if you get one. The only catch is that they are Amish and don't have a phone so I ask them when to pick it up so they don't have to use the pay phone at Third Base. They open at 0600 Mon-Sat but they are closed on Sundays.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I just picked up a processed deer at Stauffer's in Loveville. I had them put extra fat in my hot sausage as the regular amount wasn't enough for me. Their sausage with the extra fat is the best I've ever had. Give them a try if you get one. The only catch is that they are Amish and don't have a phone so I ask them when to pick it up so they don't have to use the pay phone at Third Base. They open at 0600 Mon-Sat but they are closed on Sundays.

What kind of fat do they put in it?

We have to go pick up our sausage tomorrow... the people we used put bacon in it.. curious how that is gonna taste

they put

pork fat in their sausage and beef fat in the burger. Bacon is good but it takes a ton of it to make the sausage juicy.

red_explorer

Mennonite

Henry and his family are Mennonite, not Amish. They do an awesome job!!!! I am so proud of them, opening their own business. For years he and his family have been cutting deer for another business, and finally decided to go out on their own.

Enjoy!!!!!!

I don't live far from them and thought they (Stauffers) were Amish. They are very nice people and they did a great job. I will definately use them again.

LusbyMom

pork fat in their sausage and beef fat in the burger. Bacon is good but it takes a ton of it to make the sausage juicy.

Pork fat is what the butcher who does my brothers uses also... We are using Baker's over here in Calvert. I don't really want to eat it at all :lol: Especially after I watched the deer being gutted :barf: But I will try it at least once... guess that will be breakfast on Sunday morning.

the cost

for me was $70. They have a few different choices of how you can have it cut up. I got the standard steaks cut and had 30 packs of sausage and 35 packs of burger from my first deer this year. There is no doubt that with the extra fat, their sausage could pass for pork sausage. (my family likes this) Forgot to say how clean their shop is too.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
for me was $70. They have a few different choices of how you can have it cut up. I got the standard steaks cut and had 30 packs of sausage and 35 packs of burger from my first deer this year. There is no doubt that with the extra fat, their sausage could pass for pork sausage. (my family likes this) Forgot to say how clean their shop is too.

Good deal, thanks. My nephew borrowed a gun so he could go and after reading your post yesterday I sent him a text saying how nice it would be to have someone give me a deer. I might try them. Dumb question but I will ask anyhow; They use refrigeration right?

bulldog

Very nice folks. I process my own deer, but go there to buy the fat to put in my sausage and burger. If I ever got into a pinch and needed a place to take a deer...this would be it.

red_explorer

Fyi

Thanks. I had been taking mine to Mike on Indian Bridge but I think I might try the Stauffers.

Henry and his kids were previously working for Mike on Indian Bridge Road. They decided they wanted to start their own place with their own standards. And yes, its spotless!!!!

cmhurley1

possibly the best in town?

Henry and his kids were previously working for Mike on Indian Bridge Road. They decided they wanted to start their own place with their own standards. And yes, its spotless!!!!

Me and my dad used to go too Mike, and have also started relying on the Stauffers the last few years. Not that Mike didn't do a good job, their sausage recipes are most likely one in the same, so we may have him to thank for that (i am physically addicted to this hot sausage). However, it wasn't so clean and tidy as we'd have liked at Mikes. My dad said he went and checked out Stauffers and immediately decided that this is where we were gonna be going from now on. Very clean, the average price, and very fast. We've been 3 times this year, every time he's said he'll being skinning on the next Tuesday, cutting and ready for pickup on Wednesday. He was a day ahead of time last time (which was opening of Shotgun season, so you know his freezer was packed). overall great service, he seems to come highly reccomended

somdshootnet

I have been wanting to add Stauffers to the list of meat processors on the SMST website does anyone have an address for them? Someone had mentioned them in the forums on SMST too, so, now I would like to find some details if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

LusbyMom

We used Baker's in Calvert... picked it up yesterday and tried the sausage with the bacon in it last night.. It was actually pretty good.. I am not big on deer meat at all but liked this.

navymder

Stauffers

How do I get more information on "Stauffers" ?? Like an address for starters, hours of operation (CLOSING). Thanks!

cmhurley1

I cant say for sure about the address, all i can say is that its almost directly across the street from Third Base, on Route 5. Theres a 'Deer Processing' sign at the end of the driveway. As for the hours, I'm not sure about when they open, but they close at roughly 9. I took a doe in at 9:10 or 9:15 with no problems, so don't feel to rushed if you track one a bit late