Deflated Balls

PsyOps

Pixelated
NFL investigating New England Patriots over deflated footballs

The NFL has opened an investigation into whether the New England Patriots deflated game balls before their thrashing of the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship.

The news, first reported by Bob Kravitz of WTHR.com in Indianapolis, is likely to be a hot topic heading into the media storm that surrounds the league in the two-week run-up to the Super Bowl on Feb. 1 in Arizona, when the Patriots will take on NFC Champions Seattle Seahawks.

This is the second time New England has allegedly cheated:

In 2007, the New England Patriots were punished for videotaping sideline signals used by the New York Jets during a 2007 game, in a controversy that became known as "Spygate." Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000, and the team was docked $250,000 and stripped of its 2008 first-round draft pick.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is making me howl. This dope on the radio today was just all besides himself "Why, Bill, why cheat like this? You don't need it!" completely ignoring who he is talking about. EVERYONE in the NFL cheats to some extent or other be it PED, whatever snooping they can do, you name it. Belichick and company coach their guys up to ALL the limits, ALL the time. Holding without getting caught, pushing off, any and every little advantage they can get in every single area.

This doof was acting like the Pats were 100% little angels EXCEPT for trying to let a little air out of the balls. He's only kidding himself.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
If all the game balls were NFL approved, the score would have been 45-0.

Indy has a long way to go to become SB elgible.

Hannibal

It had to do with the Indy interception. The guy who made he pick wanted to keep the ball and handed it over to his equipment manager (who is also responsible for inflation pressure when they provide balls) who noticed the difference. 11 of 12 balls were below spec (minimally) and the 12th was obviously for kicking purposes.

Personally, I don't see the issue. Any benifit would've been shared by both teams equally (with the exception of any kicking plays if it was determined they were swapping out balls at that time).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It had to do with the Indy interception. The guy who made he pick wanted to keep the ball and handed it over to his equipment manager (who is also responsible for inflation pressure when they provide balls) who noticed the difference. 11 of 12 balls were below spec (minimally) and the 12th was obviously for kicking purposes.

Personally, I don't see the issue. Any benifit would've been shared by both teams equally (with the exception of any kicking plays if it was determined they were swapping out balls at that time).

The issue, if any, is that the ball is easier to throw and catch, especially in the rain. When the Pats were on offense, they used their balls. When Indy had possession, they used the 'legal' balls. So, it isn't equal.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The issue, if any, is was it accidental or with purpose. If a culprit is found they can Pete Rose them. Doesn't change the fact that the Colts were soundly whipped, and if you believe the hype, more so with balls with required pressure.

If it is truly a problem fix it so it can't happen again. Simple fix, next in play ball is pressure checked and verified by league official prior to placing it into the game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The issue, if any, is was it accidental or with purpose. If a culprit is found they can Pete Rose them. Doesn't change the fact that the Colts were soundly whipped, and if you believe the hype, more so with balls with required pressure.

If it is truly a problem fix it so it can't happen again. Simple fix, next in play ball is pressure checked and verified by league official prior to placing it into the game.

Nope. The solution is that the ball boys work on the umpire teams. It's ridiculous to have much in the way of ball rules AND allow the teams to be in charge of the balls. Can you imagine pitchers getting each new ball from their dugout? Hell, as is, a ref touches the ball in football on EVERY play.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The issue, if any, is that the ball is easier to throw and catch, especially in the rain. When the Pats were on offense, they used their balls. When Indy had possession, they used the 'legal' balls. So, it isn't equal.

What I don't understand is the officials verify all the balls before the game starts. What did NE do after that; sneak the balls into a corner of their locker room to deflate them?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What I don't understand is the officials verify all the balls before the game starts. What did NE do after that; sneak the balls into a corner of their locker room to deflate them?

Oh, come on!!!! What could be easier than letting a little air out of a football???

Ken King

PREMO Member
Nope. The solution is that the ball boys work on the umpire teams. It's ridiculous to have much in the way of ball rules AND allow the teams to be in charge of the balls. Can you imagine pitchers getting each new ball from their dugout? Hell, as is, a ref touches the ball in football on EVERY play.

Wouldn't that make them a "league official"? :tap:

As to a ref handling the ball every play, true, but how many of them have a grip/touch accurate to 1 psi?

PsyOps

Pixelated

You know... in the game I respect most - Golf - if a guy so much as makes a single error on his score card or adds wrong, he is disqualified. If the guy wins the tournament, they will strip that win from him. If a golfer accidentally taps his club on the ball and no one sees it, they will personally point it out and take the penalty. If a golfer is later caught making a ball placement error on the course, and wins, and they find the error later, he will be disqualified.

That is honesty in sports. That's sportsmanship. If this plays out to be true, this will be two on Belichick now. Cheating is cheating; I don't care if everyone does it. I'd like to see some real accountability. I cannot enjoying watching a team win if they aren't winning honestly. There's no sport in cheating.

Ken King

PREMO Member

They were spiking them more often. :biggrin:

Grumpy

Obviously, the Pats handicapped themselves in the 1st half so as to give the nation a good football game. When those nasty refs made them play with properly inflated balls in the 2nd half, the NFL lost a ton of advertising money when people turned off the 2nd half onslaught.

Not a Pats' fan, but I find all this so hilarious. Actually, I do like Belichick because the media hates him due to his interviews where he gives such deep answers as 'yes', 'no', 'maybe'.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Oh, come on!!!! What could be easier than letting a little air out of a football???

It just tells me that there is no accountability in who is handling the balls. Because of this, rules on how balls are handled will change; and probably should. It a damn shame.

Ken King

PREMO Member
You know... in the game I respect most - Golf - if a guy so much as makes a single error on his score card or adds wrong, he is disqualified. If the guy wins the tournament, they will strip that win from him. If a golfer accidentally taps his club on the ball and no one sees it, they will personally point it out and take the penalty. If a golfer is later caught making a ball placement error on the course, and wins, and they find the error later, he will be disqualified.

That is honesty in sports. That's sportsmanship. If this plays out to be true, this will be two on Belichick now. Cheating is cheating; I don't care if everyone does it. I'd like to see some real accountability. I cannot enjoying watching a team win if they aren't winning honestly. There's no sport in cheating.

I did say to Pete Rose the person if it is found to be a deliberate act. I didn't mean that to mean just no Hall of Fame but a banning for life from the sport.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Deflated balls?

It was rainy and chilly during the game, I think the Patriots should have used an excuse similar to George Costanza:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It just tells me that there is no accountability in who is handling the balls. Because of this, rules on how balls are handled will change; and probably should. It a damn shame.

It's a tiny, meaningless thing ASSUMING you agree EVERY team teaches it's O linemen how to hold (break the rule) without getting caught. Same thing for their D backs. Air in balls is meaningless if you agree that the league turns as much a blind eye as they can get away with to drugs, PED's, how injuries are treated, Mike Vick, domestic abuse so on and so forth.