Deflated Balls

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wouldn't that make them a "league official"? :tap:

As to a ref handling the ball every play, true, but how many of them have a grip/touch accurate to 1 psi?

I'd have ZERO problem with league ball persons. And, if the ref can't tell, does it matter, really? Is 12.5 to 13.5 psi meaningful in any tangible, on field way or is it a fairly arbitrary number? I, personally, throw a tighter spiral with a properly inflated ball than when it is under inflated. :shrug:

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
It just tells me that there is no accountability in who is handling the balls. Because of this, rules on how balls are handled will change; and probably should. It a damn shame.

Hey we're talking about Tom Brady and the Patriots here.

I think they are investigating the wrong people.
We all know who's responsible for handling Tom Brady's balls: His wife Gisele!

If she was my wife, I'd have deflated balls too. :cool:
:lol:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'd have ZERO problem with league ball persons. And, if the ref can't tell, does it matter, really? Is 12.5 to 13.5 psi meaningful in any tangible, on field way or is it a fairly arbitrary number? I, personally, throw a tighter spiral with a properly inflated ball than when it is under inflated. :shrug:

How did you know the ball was properly inflated, was your measuring device up to ANSI certification? :tap:

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's a tiny, meaningless thing ASSUMING you agree EVERY team teaches it's O linemen how to hold (break the rule) without getting caught. Same thing for their D backs. Air in balls is meaningless if you agree that the league turns as much a blind eye as they can get away with to drugs, PED's, how injuries are treated, Mike Vick, domestic abuse so on and so forth.

Wait a minute! Vick did his time; paid his dues to society. He’s a free and – allegedly – reformed man. I believe in forgiveness and second chances. But you have to pay the penalty. When certain penalties are committed (hitting the QB to the head or a blatant hit to a defenseless receiver) you can get ejected from the game, suspended, and fined. If you get caught holding you get penalized. If you get caught, you get penalized. Such penalties (even a single one) can make or break a game. I don’t think it’s a stretch to believe deflating the balls could have resulted in a significant advantage. But, even if it doesn’t, it’s still a violation of the rules and NE should be held accountable for it. They got caught (allegedly).

But, to me, it speaks more to the lack of sportsmanship that Belichick seems to possess. Did he really need to cheat? I think his team is far good enough not to. Or maybe he’s been doing something every game to give them an edge. I’m one to admit that if you don’t get caught committing a penalty, then move on with the game. But if you get caught, face the penalty. NE seems to have gotten caught, again, and now the NFL has to figure out what to do. Should they just turn a blind eye because it’s ‘tiny’?

PsyOps

Pixelated

But you would agree there has to be a standard of ball inflation, right? It seems the entire NFL and each franchise agrees with this, right? So it's an official rule all teams are expected to follow. To use golf again... If I accidentally tap my golf ball and the ball does not move from it's spot in any tangible way, why should I be penalized? Because it's a rule that the entire PGA agrees on.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Being a PATS fan i'm quite disappointed. BUt how many refs, Colt players touched these balls i.e. when a pats player goes out of bounds on colts side, Colt player, A Couch, A Ref picks it up. Why did they not say Hey this one feels funny, yup they did throw one out. Hey, WTFO here's another... If it is true should have been found out in first quarter!!! Finda need to call B.S.... Where is the Cal sticker on the Football PSI reader !!!!

PsyOps

Pixelated
Being a PATS fan i'm quite disappointed. BUt how many refs, Colt players touched these balls i.e. when a pats player goes out of bounds on colts side, Colt player, A Couch, A Ref picks it up. Why did they not say Hey this one feels funny, yup they did throw one out. Hey, WTFO here's another... If it is true should have been found out in first quarter!!! Finda need to call B.S.... Where is the Cal sticker on the Football PSI reader !!!!

I could come up with a few reasons why they didn't notice. Perhaps passive touching of the ball (grabbing it on the sidelines and under-handing it to an official) didn't clue them in. The QB has to grip the ball pretty firmly. Maybe it was just enough air to make a difference for Brady, but not enough to notice otherwise.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But you would agree there has to be a standard of ball inflation, right? It seems the entire NFL and each franchise agrees with this, right? So it's an official rule all teams are expected to follow. To use golf again... If I accidentally tap my golf ball and the ball does not move from it's spot in any tangible way, why should I be penalized? Because it's a rule that the entire PGA agrees on.

I agree that NFL is a game, unlike golf, that requires referees. That we're talking about 1 or 2 PSI is, to me, beyond laughable if we go no further than the absurdity of the Dez Bryant catch/no catch of two weeks ago which, in my view, matters a heck of a lot more than football inflation. If the league and it's teams thought this was such a big deal, they wouldn't let the teams be in charge of the balls.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wait a minute! Vick did his time; paid his dues to society. He’s a free and – allegedly – reformed man. I believe in forgiveness and second chances. But you have to pay the penalty. When certain penalties are committed (hitting the QB to the head or a blatant hit to a defenseless receiver) you can get ejected from the game, suspended, and fined. If you get caught holding you get penalized. If you get caught, you get penalized. Such penalties (even a single one) can make or break a game. I don’t think it’s a stretch to believe deflating the balls could have resulted in a significant advantage. But, even if it doesn’t, it’s still a violation of the rules and NE should be held accountable for it. They got caught (allegedly). ?

OK, so, Mr. Letter of the Law, what's the fine, $25,000? And can we then move on? Even the Colts said they didn't think this had ONE thing to do with how bad they got beat.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Betcha' that gauge is now missing too. :killingme

It is simply mind boggling watching MSNBC this afternoon. The Presidents personal promotional department, he just did SOTU and what are they talking about, endlessly? The air in Tom Brady's balls. They keep talking about it, going over his press conference, I mean, at one point Brady said "Hey, this is just football, it's not ISIS, no one died.." and then MSNBC discussed THAT as though it was a revelation.

I almost wonder if Muslims will start simply start avoiding us like American Indians used to avoid white people who'd lost their minds in the wilderness.

I have the TV on in the background and they are STILL talking about it!!!!

PsyOps

Pixelated
I agree that NFL is a game, unlike golf, that requires referees. That we're talking about 1 or 2 PSI is, to me, beyond laughable if we go no further than the absurdity of the Dez Bryant catch/no catch of two weeks ago which, in my view, matters a heck of a lot more than football inflation. If the league and it's teams thought this was such a big deal, they wouldn't let the teams be in charge of the balls.

OK, so, Mr. Letter of the Law, what's the fine, $25,000? And can we then move on? Even the Colts said they didn't think this had ONE thing to do with how bad they got beat.

There most certainly are referees in golf. Heck, even a fan can call out a golfer's indiscretion. I’m no ‘Mr. Letter of the Law’ except that we have rules and laws; and when you get caught breaking or violating them you pay the appropriate penalty. It’s really that simple. No matter how absurd it may seem, there is a rule in football that requires the balls to be inflated within a specified range. Is this a hugely BIG DEAL rule? I don’t know, ask the person on the NE team that thought it was a good idea to do this and why the NFL is making a big deal about it. It has little to do with how good or bad each team played; it has to do with abiding by the rules. If they’re no big deal, then why have them?

I don’t expect much to come out of this. My point is, IF Belichick is guilty of making this happen, this will be twice. How many none big deal rules are you willing to give him before you take cheating seriously? Of course he said in his press conference that he knew nothing about it; and I must believe him until evidence proves otherwise.

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Slow news day, they had to resurrect this old story. As Hilary says, at this point what difference does it make? Seriously though, I'd be more concerned about the fight and all those people that filed a class action law suit.:lmao: Sports, jeeze.