Delay on TJ Bridge

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'd like to know how this happened (just out of curiosity). It seems the accident is on the southbound side but the dump truck is facing north.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'd like to know how this happened (just out of curiosity). It seems the accident is on the southbound side but the dump truck is facing north.

From a story from smnewnet:

UPDATE 3/30/2016 @3:10 p.m.: A witness that was traveling behind the passenger car said, “the car tried to pass a tractor trailer while on the bridge coming into St. Mary’s County just prior to the crash” they went onto say the driver of the car was all over the road prior to leaving its lane and striking the dump truck head on”

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/416976/update-fatal-motor-vehicle-involving-a-dump-truck-and-car/

Sounds like the force of the crash drove both vehicles across the road. Just very sad that this was caused by somebody's stupidity.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Looking at the camera, it looks like they just opened the southbound land. Northbound lane is still detouring around.

Edit: It looks like both directions are open now.

Goldenhawk

Sounds like the force of the crash drove both vehicles across the road.
Well, the dump truck would be FAR heavier than the car, especially with a load of asphalt. We engineer geeks are taught about something called "conservation of momentum": when a heavier and lighter object collide and stick together, the combined mass will end up moving in roughly the same direction as the heavier one was moving before the collision.

i-10900ef1c834a3be39060677af4f689e-collision-1.jpg

So the truck would have continued forward at something like 1/2 of its original speed. But with its front caved in, the steering was probably destroyed. If the impact was slightly off-center towards the center of the road, it would have turned the truck towards the centerline. The combined truck/car system would have continued roughly straight until it hit the opposite ditch.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And now there is a report of a major accident in or near Prince Frederick that has closed 4.

Drove to VA and back today. The number of near misses I had today was amazing. People are just not paying attention and doing really stupid things behind the wheel.

3CATSAILOR

Drove to VA and back today. The number of near misses I had today was amazing. People are just not paying attention and doing really stupid things behind the wheel.

Bingo. And there you have it. Actually only part of it. The other part is that police do not seem to be enforcing distracted driving laws. The small presence of a police car here and there is certainly a drop in a bucket that is sizzling hot with almost everyone on the cell phone or otherwise distracted in other ways. Good grief, even the police themselves are distracted. I was behind a police car south bound on Route 5. He was going on and off the road. I followed him to Lexington Park where he pulled in a parking lot. I stopped to ask him if he was okay. He asked why. He told him because I observed him on and off the road on to part of the shoulder. He said oh,I was looking at the lap top which they receive their calls on. It is difficult for our officers to look at the on board computer and drive down the road at the same time. And then if you pull over and look at it, you would hardly get anywhere. So, your darn if you do, darn if you don't.

Also, if you look back almost a year ago today, a severe accident happened in almost the exact same location. Is this related to the engineering of how the roads are designed in the area? Not likely since tens of thousands of cars go though there every day without a problem.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Well, reports are saying it happened before the bridge. For the life of me, I can't understand why the passenger vehicle wanted to pass a trailer truck. I would think they could have seen that dump truck coming. Why are people so in a hurry, anymore. It is a matter of seconds. It is like the speeders that go by you that you see at the next stop light. Anyway, RIP to the people that died in this accident/incident. Prayers to all involved. Slow down, y'all. There enough things in life that will kill you.

Last edited:

officeguy

Videos on smnewsnet. What a horrific way to go.

The Baynet has a picture from early after the impact. Based on just how crumbled the car was before everything was involved in the fire, the driver was probably gone with the impact.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
latest updates:

On March 30, 2017, at noon, St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a serious motor vehicle collision on Patuxent Beach Road in the area of South Patuxent Beach Road in California, Maryland. When deputies arrived, they found two vehicles engulfed in flames.

The investigation revealed, A 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer, operated by Charles Patton Jr., age 29, of Callaway, crossed the centerline and struck a Mack dump truck, operated by Charles Neal Jr., age 74, of Waldorf, head on, causing both vehicles to leave the roadway. The dump truck overturned with the passenger vehicle underneath the dump truck in a ditch. Patton was pronounced deceased on the scene, and Neal was transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Members of the Collision Reconstruction Unit responded to the scene and assumed the investigation. At this time, driver error appears to be a contributing factor. Anybody who may have witnessed the collision and has not yet provided a statement to the police is asked to contact Cpl. Dale Reppel at 301-475-4200 ext. *8059

---

The deceased also has several arrests:

http://search.somd.com/search.cgi?q=Charles+Patton&t=news

which includes:

12-20-2016 POSSESSION: While responding to the report of a suspicious person in the Hunting Quarters subdivision, Corporal E. O'Connor observed a passenger vehicle leaving the neighborhood that failed to come to a complete to stop at the intersection of Hunting Quarters Drive and Route 5. It was also noted the registration stickers were not properly placed on the vehicle. A stop was initiated which revealed the operator, Nathan Orlando Jones, age 20, of Lusby, did not have a valid driver's license. A search of the motor vehicle revealed several dollars in cash, a digital scale, and several baggies containing suspected Oxycodone concealed under the seat. During the stop, the investigation also revealed, the passenger of the vehicle, Charles Ronald Patton, age 29, of Callaway, had an active arrest warrant. An incident search of Patton revealed suspected Xanax in his front pocket. Hones and Patton were arrested and transported to the St. Mary's County Detention Center. Hones was charged with CDS Possession: Paraphernalia and CDS Possession—Not Marijuana and Patton was served his warrant and charged with CDS Possession—Not Marijuana. CASE# 64819-16

https://www.google.com/search?q=define:xanax&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=define:xanax&*

The court put this on the Stet docket---basically saying no contest to the charges and we'll let you off the hook if you stay out of trouble for xx months.

Goldenhawk

Mr. Patton had a much longer rap sheet than that - at least four arrests for driving on a suspended license, one for falsifying a license plate, numerous failure-to-appear charges, and two non-weed different drug charges.

Once again, we have a well-known bad actor that hasn't been properly dealt with by the legal system.

At least he won't be doing any of those things again. But that isn't much consolation for Mr. Neal, not to mention the tens of thousands of county citizens that had rather longer-than-usual commutes thanks to yesterday's fuss.

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/casesearch/

officeguy

Mr. Patton had a much longer rap sheet than that - at least four arrests for driving on a suspended license, one for falsifying a license plate, numerous failure-to-appear charges, and two non-weed different drug charges.

Once again, we have a well-known bad actor that hasn't been properly dealt with by the legal system.

At least he won't be doing any of those things again. But that isn't much consolation for Mr. Neal, not to mention the tens of thousands of county citizens that had rather longer-than-usual commutes thanks to yesterday's fuss.

A self-solving problem. Bummer that the older gentleman got hurt in the process.

lovinmaryland

Looks like he also had a dui on there that he was given no time for. Crazy. Thankfully no one else was in his car and sounds like the driver of the truck will be ok.

nobody really

I need a nap
Looks like he also had a dui on there that he was given no time for. Crazy. Thankfully no one else was in his car and sounds like the driver of the truck will be ok.[/QUOTE

I'm glad he hit a dump truck (sorry for the driver of the dump truck), and not another car or a school bus. he must've been flying to hit that dump truck with that much impact to catch fire and turn on its side. wow.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Looks like he also had a dui on there that he was given no time for. Crazy. Thankfully no one else was in his car and sounds like the driver of the truck will be ok.[/QUOTE

I'm glad he hit a dump truck (sorry for the driver of the dump truck), and not another car or a school bus. he must've been flying to hit that dump truck with that much impact to catch fire and turn on its side. wow.

The only solace is that the guy in the car was the only one who perished and not some innocent driver who just happened to be on the road at the time.