Desperate for a rental

annemayer

I would think someone renting a room would love the idea of never having us there. I'd basically pay them as if I were living there,and only spend the nights however many nights the school system considers sufficient for residency. As for Great Mills,I've tried biting the bullet and going by there,once the secretary in guidance was wearing jeans that showed a thong poking out the top - she said she was filling in,not the regular person-and was useless. The second time I called a counselor only to be told she didn't know anything,and to contact someone at central office,and to hurry up because they won't change schedule after I believe the 17th. No one seems to have their sh*t straight there.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I would think someone renting a room would love the idea of never having us there. I'd basically pay them as if I were living there,and only spend the nights however many nights the school system considers sufficient for residency. As for Great Mills,I've tried biting the bullet and going by there,once the secretary in guidance was wearing jeans that showed a thong poking out the top - she said she was filling in,not the regular person-and was useless. The second time I called a counselor only to be told she didn't know anything,and to contact someone at central office,and to hurry up because they won't change schedule after I believe the 17th. No one seems to have their sh*t straight there.
There is a sign on the north side of the rt 5/245 intersection, south bound lane that says Bachelor Apt for rent. It's right before Leonardtown Service Center.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I've dealt with both GMHS and LHS and frankly, I've had better sucess dealing with the people at GMHS. You really need to call the principal, set up an appointment and talk to her about your concerns. It might be easier then your search for a place to live (given your requirements).

AeroTaken

You may have difficulty convincing the landlord to rent a room to more than one person. You will also have to provide a utility bill in your name and at that address in order for the kids to get in the school district.

If in Calvert County you would also have to have a form filled out by the landlord certifying that you actually live there and sometimes they have to show up in person to verify it. If I remember correctly they required 2 utility bills and my drivers license had to have an address (or change card) within the specific Calvert school district which you are trying to enroll in. AND they will do spot checks on new students, especially transferring from St Mary's County. This is due to the number of people they have found lying to put their kid in Dowell/Mill Creek/Patuxent so close to the border. New student verifier person told me of one kid (didn't mention name, age, or gender) that they had kicked out (2 years ago) because they checked the Calvert address, and while the Dad did own that house, they actually lived in St Mary's and rented the Calvert house out to someone else.

NattyLight1128

I'm really about ready to throw in the towel - we're not finding anything,we've been looking for months,and I need my kid to get back to school. . .

Really .... you're so concerned about WHICH school that you've kept your child away from instruction for two weeks? Do you know that almost every high school course now has a county-wide common syllabus? Are you at least using that to ensure that s/he isn't falling behind while out of classes?

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
If in Calvert County you would also have to have a form filled out by the landlord certifying that you actually live there and sometimes they have to show up in person to verify it. If I remember correctly they required 2 utility bills and my drivers license had to have an address (or change card) within the specific Calvert school district which you are trying to enroll in. AND they will do spot checks on new students, especially transferring from St Mary's County. This is due to the number of people they have found lying to put their kid in Dowell/Mill Creek/Patuxent so close to the border. New student verifier person told me of one kid (didn't mention name, age, or gender) that they had kicked out (2 years ago) because they checked the Calvert address, and while the Dad did own that house, they actually lived in St Mary's and rented the Calvert house out to someone else.

Very glad to hear they are diligent about making sure people actually live here. I think people who cheat to put their kids in schools they don't belong in are as bad as people who sell their foodstamps and cheat the system. Isn't there an option where people can pay to send their kids to schools outside of their own district? If you hate the schools so badly where you are pay for them to go to another district. Otherwise you're basically a cheat and a thief.

AeroTaken

I think people who cheat to put their kids in schools they don't belong in are as bad as people who sell their foodstamps and cheat the system. Isn't there an option where people can pay to send their kids to schools outside of their own district?

I agree 100%...do your research before choosing where to live. If you want your kids to go to a particular school then live IN that district. Not sure about the paying to go out of county option...but don't think its a good idea as that would just cause overcrowding in the more desirable schools IMO

sammiegirl

There are 2 rentals in Armiger Rd in Huntingtown. The schools would be Huntingtown Ele, Plum Point Middle and Huntingtown High.

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Good for your kid. That's like saying as long as you don't get drunk and whore yourself out,that Great Mills road is as nice as,say for example,Joy Chapel Road. Or saying that as long as you don't sell drugs,or hoard garbage that living in SouthHampton is as safe as living in Wildewood. The environment is crap. The student body in general is from the poorest areas in the county and with the most apathetic parents. There are kids in Africa who are raped as infants,grow up starving,and then become doctors and are a great success. Does this mean it is an ideal environment? NO. I am wanting to give my children every opportunity at success. Period. And it's a successful environment as I define it. This wasn't a post about your kid,or a chance for you to defend a school.I even said that in the original post. And thanks alot for making me use the phrase "great success". I'll have Borat on the brain now.:geek:

...did you read the original post?

Wow you are being really nasty to some people who were trying to give suggestions and/or help you out. Amazing…

Since you’ve really shown how much of a jerk you can be when you hear something that dosent directly fall in line with your ridiculous specifications, I would like to ask something…

Do YOU and your husband have jobs? You said your kids are homeschooled. Whos been doing the homeschooling? You? Your husband? When? For how long each day?

When I hear “I homeschool my kids” I think of a stay-at-home-Mom. And there is nothing wrong with being a stay at home Mom. My Mom homeschooled my brother and I for YEARS because we lived in a crappy school district. But my parents could afford to be a one-income family because my Dad made really good money, my parent’s credit was good, etc. But as soon as we hit hard times, my brother and I were enrolled in public school and Momma went back to work.

So the question floating around my head is… if your kids are homeschooled, who’s doing the schooling? You? If so, are you unemployed so that you can take the time needed to teach your kids? If so, you need to stop b1tching about money, credit, schools, etc. Throw their @sses in school, and get a job.

If you and your husband are BOTH working full time jobs trying to make ends meat, how much schooling are your kids really getting? Probably not enough… so throw their @sses in school!!!

Yes, school districts are important. I understand you wanting the best for your children. Especially after having one child fight cancer… which, by the way, I am glad to hear she is healthy :yay: But speaking of school districts, Huntingtown High and Plum Point Middle, which you both dismissed, are both very good schools. I went to both. PPMS is a National Blue Ribbon school and HHS is one of the highest-testing schools in the state. I cant vouch for Huntingtown Elementary, I don’t know anything about it. But sounds to me like your kids are older anyway to it wouldn’t matter.

Im sure you’re doing the best you can and are stressed to the max. I just think some of your reactions to some people’s posts were very rude.

I honestly wish you luck

annemayer

1.I never #####ed about money or credit. I laid out the facts,so that if anyone with a rental saw the post,they knew up front my situation.
2.I am the one teaching my kids,and given that I have a masters degree,yes,I think I am reasonably qualified.
3.I can also say that you are quite concerned for my children's education when you spelled the word "meet" as "meat".Maybe you need some schooling yourself.
4.I am not being picky or dismissive re:Huntingtown High,etc. I specified a district,actually two.These are so that my husband can get to work in a timely manner every day. I suppose I assume that when someone offers a suggestion as to what I should do,they might actually know what they are commenting on.So,I wasn't trying to be rude,I was asking if they read the post,since if they had,their "help" wasn't making much sense.
5.My ridiculous specifications are two broad areas of school districts.Get a grip.
6.I am a stay at home mother and have been for years. We struggle,and we scrimp sometimes,and we don't have loads of money in the bank,or a particularly large home.My husband has always worked full time to support our family,and when my children are in an environment I approve of,I will be going back to work.
7.When I was growing up,querying about someones income,personal life,and child rearing in a negative way was considered rude-maybe we have different definitions.
8.You asked how long I teach my children,and when.I'd like to hear you account for how long-how much pure instruction-do your children get?? When? If you say Monday through Friday,then you are saying you don't teach them when they are at home.Which is your obligation as a parent.If you don't know how much pure instruction time they receive,then how would you know how much is necessary in comparison to question me?
9.I could easily go on public assistance,and never have or would.We are looking for a home that is in a reasonable price range,not begging for someone to give us a cheap place to live,We aren't trying to tell a sob story to get sympathy,simply stating the facts and trying to work within our limitations.

My husband and I live in a small house. We have a nice,but not all that expensive car.Our credit is horrible right now,due to the aforementioned issues.We almost never take family vacations,as my husband won't take off from work. And while mothers such as yourself-I'm assuming you are-have great credit,and live in their comfy subdivision,and drive their Hummers,and are financially secure,I am being the best parent I know how to be and I am putting my kids immediate needs above my monetary desires.This means that yes,we are struggling right now,and I'm proud of the choices I have made. They may not have put me in the best position financially,but I have two smart,well-behaved,and HAPPY children.And I know them,inside and out,and the example they see of their parents is not two screw ups who have nothing,it is two people who will literally give up everything for them,and who value our family above our bank account.I have been supremely blessed to have the husband I do who supports us the way he does,and who also places his value on the important things in life,which may not always be the most expensive.
To those people who have taken the time to read my posts,and help me,I am very appreciative. But to those who chime in without paying attention,while I'm not intentionally trying to be rude,I'll point it out.And for you,there isn't much more to say,because judging from your attitude,you've already got me pegged. By the way,I noticed you said you attended two of the "best schools" in Calvert.And I see in your profile,you are now in Human Resources,and misspell the word meet...I may add the word irony to my daughters spelling list tomorrow.

Last edited:

sockgirl77

Good luck finding anything affordable in the LHS district. You can hang up the thought of finding a landlord that will not give you a credit check. I'm quite surprised that you're on the waiting list for Wildewood Apartments as I know for a fact that they give you a credit. Other than this little dinky old place I rented a few years ago, I've always had my credit checked. Even all the places that Chasey mentioned in the GMHS district require credit checks. Have you thought of posting what you can afford per month and what requirements for house size are? Maybe someone can help. :shrug:

annemayer

Good luck finding anything affordable in the LHS district. You can hang up the thought of finding a landlord that will not give you a credit check. I'm quite surprised that you're on the waiting list for Wildewood Apartments as I know for a fact that they give you a credit. Other than this little dinky old place I rented a few years ago, I've always had my credit checked. Even all the places that Chasey mentioned in the GMHS district require credit checks. Have you thought of posting what you can afford per month and what requirements for house size are? Maybe someone can help. :shrug:

I have found a forumite here who has a rental and we're working on things,but your suggestions can't hurt. I'm looking for a place around 1,400 or less,at least 1,100 sq.ft. I'm not so much trying to avoid a credit check as I'm giving a heads up about it,and simply want to be able to explain the circumstances,I have our bills from Children's,etc. to help back that up.Just seems more efficient to give all the info rather than waste everyone's time,only to spring the credit on them at the last minute. I'd like to think the credit is part of the picture but not the whole thing to at least some landlords - a good history with your current landlord is a better indicator in my opinion anyways.

FED_UP

1.I never #####ed about money or credit. I laid out the facts,so that if anyone with a rental saw the post,they knew up front my situation.
2.I am the one teaching my kids,and given that I have a masters degree,yes,I think I am reasonably qualified.
3.I can also say that you are quite concerned for my children's education when you spelled the word "meet" as "meat".Maybe you need some schooling yourself.
4.I am not being picky or dismissive re:Huntingtown High,etc. I specified a district,actually two.These are so that my husband can get to work in a timely manner every day. I suppose I assume that when someone offers a suggestion as to what I should do,they might actually know what they are commenting on.So,I wasn't trying to be rude,I was asking if they read the post,since if they had,their "help" wasn't making much sense.
5.My ridiculous specifications are two broad areas of school districts.Get a grip.
6.I am a stay at home mother and have been for years. We struggle,and we scrimp sometimes,and we don't have loads of money in the bank,or a particularly large home.My husband has always worked full time to support our family,and when my children are in an environment I approve of,I will be going back to work.
7.When I was growing up,querying about someones income,personal life,and child rearing in a negative way was considered rude-maybe we have different definitions.
8.You asked how long I teach my children,and when.I'd like to hear you account for how long-how much pure instruction-do your children get?? When? If you say Monday through Friday,then you are saying you don't teach them when they are at home.Which is your obligation as a parent.If you don't know how much pure instruction time they receive,then how would you know how much is necessary in comparison to question me?
9.I could easily go on public assistance,and never have or would.We are looking for a home that is in a reasonable price range,not begging for someone to give us a cheap place to live,We aren't trying to tell a sob story to get sympathy,simply stating the facts and trying to work within our limitations.

My husband and I live in a small house. We have a nice,but not all that expensive car.Our credit is horrible right now,due to the aforementioned issues.We almost never take family vacations,as my husband won't take off from work. And while mothers such as yourself-I'm assuming you are-have great credit,and live in their comfy subdivision,and drive their Hummers,and are financially secure,I am being the best parent I know how to be and I am putting my kids immediate needs above my monetary desires.This means that yes,we are struggling right now,and I'm proud of the choices I have made. They may not have put me in the best position financially,but I have two smart,well-behaved,and HAPPY children.And I know them,inside and out,and the example they see of their parents is not two screw ups who have nothing,it is two people who will literally give up everything for them,and who value our family above our bank account.I have been supremely blessed to have the husband I do who supports us the way he does,and who also places his value on the important things in life,which may not always be the most expensive.
To those people who have taken the time to read my posts,and help me,I am very appreciative. But to those who chime in without paying attention,while I'm not intentionally trying to be rude,I'll point it out.And for you,there isn't much more to say,because judging from your attitude,you've already got me pegged. By the way,I noticed you said you attended two of the "best schools" in Calvert.And I see in your profile,you are now in Human Resources,and misspell the word meet...I may add the word irony to my daughters spelling list tomorrow.

Women just don't get along, now play nice ladies.

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
No...and if you read the entire thread and the one about my dog you would see that.

I did read the entire thread and you come off like a #####.
You also come off like a liar and a cheat when you express desire to falsely enroll your children in Southern Calvert county schools by renting a room you don't intend to live in.