Developing: DEI, Ginn Racing Merge

AndyMarquisLIVE

DEI name remains after merger with Ginn Racing

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dale Earnhardt Inc. will be a four-car Nextel Cup operation when it arrives at Indianapolis Motor Speedway after Tuesday's merger with Ginn Racing.

Sources close to the situation said the deal was finalized late Tuesday afternoon and that an official announcement will be made on Wednesday.

That means four DEI drivers -- Dale Earnhardt Jr., Martin Truex Jr., Paul Menard and Mark Martin -- are locked into Sunday's race at the Brickyard. Menard will pick up the owner's points held by Ginn's No. 13 car that was 34th.

Bobby Ginn, who took over majority ownership of Ginn Racing late last season, will remain as a financial partner. Minority owner Jay Frye will remain in some capacity with the day-to-day operations.

DEI president Max Siegel will oversee the operation -- which still will be known as Dale Earnhardt Inc. -- and current DEI executives John Story, Steve Hmiel and Richie Gilmore will assist Frye in sorting out personnel details, sources said.

Under the merger, DEI acquires all of Ginn's assets, including its massive headquarters in Mooresville, N.C. The organization begun by the late Dale Earnhardt has been looking for land for almost a year because there is no room to expand at the current facility.

Ginn has been looking for financial relief the past month without sponsor funding for the No. 13 car that was driven by Joe Nemechek and No. 14 driven by Sterling Marlin.

Both drivers were given their release last week, with rookie Regan Smith moved into Marlin's car for the remainder of the year before the merger. Smith likely will finish the season splitting the No. 01with Martin, who has been running a part-time schedule.

Sources said Martin is committed to running at least 22 races for DEI next season and work long term with the developmental driver program as he was at Ginn.

The deal gives Menard, who was outside the top 35 guaranteed a spot in the field, a comfortable 244-point lead over the 36th-place car.

But sources made it clear the deal had nothing to do with points and everything to do with strengthening DEI, which loses Earnhardt to Hendrick Motorsports next season.

Who steps into Earnhardt's car remains to be decided. DEI is in contention with Joe Gibbs Racing, Chip Ganassi Racing, Evernham Motorsports and Richard Childress Racing for Kyle Busch, who loses his ride at HMS to Earnhardt in '08.

David Newton and Marty Smith cover Nextel Cup racing for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2947886

AndyMarquisLIVE

A shame they're using Menard and not Almirolia. Menard's only there because daddy has a lot of money - he's not even a good racecar driver.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Official: DEI, Ginn Merge

So, it's looking like

#01 - Mark Martin/Aric Almirolia
#1 - Martin Truex, Jr.
#8 - Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
#15 - Paul Menard (why they're keeping him is beyond me)

But, there are reports DEI is asking Mark Martin to drive the 8 full-time, opening the #01 for Almirolia or Regan Smith. Another possibility (it's a long shot, even though Menard has no sponsors sticking with his sucky azz but his daddy has the money to keep him there) is DEI opens up the #15 and pulls Menard out.

I could beat Menard in any racecar, the dude has no talent and little experience.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
So, it's looking like

#01 - Mark Martin/Aric Almirolia
#1 - Martin Truex, Jr.
#8 - Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
#15 - Paul Menard (why they're keeping him is beyond me)

But, there are reports DEI is asking Mark Martin to drive the 8 full-time, opening the #01 for Almirolia or Regan Smith. Another possibility (it's a long shot, even though Menard has no sponsors sticking with his sucky azz but his daddy has the money to keep him there) is DEI opens up the #15 and pulls Menard out.

I could beat Menard in any racecar, the dude has no talent and little experience.

I'll bet Jack Rousch is spitting cheerios this morning. :lmao: I doubt Mark bites on that, but it would be so cool to see him drive the 8. Anyone but KY Busch.

Menard ain't going anywhere.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Another scenario, Jayski.com

DEI, Ginn Merger to Be Announced Wednesday: Dale Earnhardt Inc. will announce on Wednesday that it is merging with Ginn Racing, effective immediately, and will acquire all Ginn assets, including its massive headquarters. Sources said the company will be known as Dale Earnhardt Inc., but that Ginn owner Bobby Ginn will remain a partner in the business. DEI president Max Siegel will oversee the operation, and Ginn CEO Jay Frye will assist DEI executives John Story, Steve Hmiel and Richie Gilmore in sorting out personnel details, sources said. DEI will field four fully-funded racecars in the Allstate 400 this weekend at Indianapolis Motor Speedway -- the #1 Chevy driven by Martin Truex Jr., the #8 driven by Dale Earnhardt Jr., the #15 driven by Paul Menard and the #01 driven by Mark Martin. One of Ginn's other two former cars, the #13 or 14, essentially becomes Menard's #15 team, and the other team will simply discontinue operation [rumors still say that the #78 team will get the owner points from the team]. Menard will pick up the owner's points held by Ginn's # 13 car that was 34th. DEI plans to move its entire operation to Ginn's Mooresville, N.C., facility. The organization begun by the late Dale Earnhardt has been looking for land for almost a year because there is no room to expand at the current facility. #13-Joe Nemechek and #14-Sterling Marlin were given their release last week, with rookie Regan Smith moving into Marlin's car for the remainder of the year before the merger. Smith likely will finish the season splitting the #01 with Martin. Sources said Martin is committed to running at least 22 races for DEI next season and working long-term with the developmental driver program as he was at Ginn.(ESPN.com)(7-25-2007)

---

Menard won't be locked in next season if he keeps finishing 40th.

AndyMarquisLIVE

nachomama said:
I'll bet Jack Rousch is spitting cheerios this morning. :lmao: I doubt Mark bites on that, but it would be so cool to see him drive the 8. Anyone but KY Busch.

Menard ain't going anywhere.
Menard sucks. :shrug:

I'm hoping they'd put Smith in the 15, Menard isn't of any value to DEI. So, he'll start the next few races - but if he falls out of the top 35 on his own (now that he's there), they're done.