Diabetes

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
This thread actually made me go through my files from December to see what my glucose level was. I did the tolerance testing when I was younger and told that I am borderline hypoglycemic. I avoid processed carbs and the like, but do eat very healthy and often.

My level was 82 after probably a 10 hour fast. So, I'm just normal. Had I had a stressful week and my diet sucked, my levels would've been low and could get confused and feel faint, etc... But NOTHING compares to what you diabetics have to go through.

I really do feel for you.

kidschihuahuas

Animal Lover
She actually likes the pump better because it's like one small stick every 3-4 days instead of 2-3 shots a day. And the catheter doesn't hurt at all. Plus she was on 2 insulins and it took her down to only using one. However, to each their own and it may be something you decide you want down the line or never want at all. She liked it because she was diagnosed and started on 2 shots a day, then in 3 months went to up to 8 shots a day.

If you read your meter info, it may tell you the same as my daughters. You are able to test your forearms. She tests there very often, as she tests 8-10 times a day. If your meter doesn't allow that, you may want to switch to a meter like the Freestyle flash or the One Touch Ultra which allows you to test the forearm. However, we find that the freestyle flash uses the least amount of blood to test.

Also, you can select a finger poker and go to a place like CVS to get lancets, without being required to use what the doctor prescribes. We found that there was a poker and lancets that were even thinner. I think a 33g ultra thin lancet and she says it hurts so much less.

Also, be sure to moisturize your fingers and your toes every morning and night. It is so important. It will help keep your circulation going. Did they also tell you to massage your finger or place you were going to test before you poke? It will help to move the flow of the blood and you will require less work to get accurate amount of blood. Also, does your finger poker have level settings for depth? If not, they make those out there and my daughter uses the lowest setting which hurts less too.

May I ask what insulin they put you on? My daughter was originally on Novolog and Novolin and we were mixing them but now she is only on Novolog.

Toxick

Splat
kidschihuahuas said:
If you read your meter info, it may tell you the same as my daughters. You are able to test your forearms. She tests there very often, as she tests 8-10 times a day.

I only need to test 3 times a day - right before each meal. I've tried forarms, and legs, and just about every place on my body that doesn't have to do with reproduction... I guess my hide is too thick, because the fingertips is the only place I can drill deep enough for blood. I'll keep expirementing though.

I'm going for the toes tonight.

kidschihuahuas said:
Did they also tell you to massage your finger or place you were going to test before you poke? It will help to move the flow of the blood and you will require less work to get accurate amount of blood. Also, does your finger poker have level settings for depth? If not, they make those out there and my daughter uses the lowest setting which hurts less too.

Nobody told me to massage anything - but my sticker does have 5 depth settings. I've been using the setting for max-pokage. It's not that painful and it draws sufficient blood.

kidschihuahuas said:
May I ask what insulin they put you on? My daughter was originally on Novolog and Novolin and we were mixing them but now she is only on Novolog.

I have to take Humalog before each meal, and a hefty shot of Lantus before bed.

Something I've noticed is that it seems with each day my average sugar level is lower and lower... I just tested about 1/2 hour ago, and it was 110. That's the lowest count I've seen yet. I might have to decrease my dosage here soon. I'm going to be talking to my doctor tomorrow to see what's up. Maybe I'll get lucky and I can ease up on all the needles.

kidschihuahuas

Animal Lover
NOOOOO, don't test your toes. It can create build up of callus and that can cause circulation problems. The number one issue for diabetics with circ issues winds up being amputation. My daughter's endo told her no toe testing.

If you only have to test 3x a day then the best thing to do is one finger each day and give yourself a rotation. Use the left part of the top of the finger in the am, use the middle of the top part at noon and the right side of the top of the finger for evening. Then you use one finger only a day and give that finger 9 more days to heal.

If you have to drill for blood, maybe you need to try a different lancet. Which lancet guage are you using? This can make all the difference in the world.

You need to massage the finger from the hand up to the tip to get the blood flow going for a good 30 seconds before you stick your finger. Then after you poke, go ahead and massage again for a second or two before you draw the blood out.

I am surprised they have you onlu on Lantus at night and Humalog before each meal. It means that they have you on regular insulin (fast acting) only at the meals and nothing to help extend your insulin levels lower. They think you have type 2?

You will notice that your BG will lower each day. With insulin it helps put your BG back to the normal range. How much insulin per carb gram do they have you taking with meals? I assume they want your range between 70 and 120 for normal? Kids are a little different than adults.

As far as decreasing, your body will go through a honeymoon phase and then you wind up back on insulin increase again. It's typical. More common with Type 1 but common with Type 2 as well.

I am available if you need anything. Just let me know.

Toxick

Splat
kidschihuahuas said:
NOOOOO, don't test your toes.

I was only kidding. I'm not planning on messing with my toes.

kidschihuahuas said:
If you have to drill for blood, maybe you need to try a different lancet. Which lancet guage are you using? This can make all the difference in the world.

No, I'm not drilling. I was being figurative. I don't know what guage the lancet is, but it's definitely sufficient.

kidschihuahuas said:
I am surprised they have you onlu on Lantus at night and Humalog before each meal. It means that they have you on regular insulin (fast acting) only at the meals and nothing to help extend your insulin levels lower. They think you have type 2?

I definitely have type 2.

kidschihuahuas said:
How much insulin per carb gram do they have you taking with meals? I assume they want your range between 70 and 120 for normal? Kids are a little different than adults.

I have no idea about the insulin:carb ratio. I know that I'm supposed to take 30 units of humalog before I eat, and each meal is supposed to contain 4 servings (60 grams) of carbs. They also didn't give me a specific number to look for. They just told me to check before meals. So far it's usually around 160-180 at breakfasttime, and about 110-120 before lunch and dinner. But it's a little bit less every day.

I have a doctors appointment today. I assume he's going to look at those numbers and determine if any changes are needed, or if we're cool.

kidschihuahuas said:
As far as decreasing, your body will go through a honeymoon phase and then you wind up back on insulin increase again. It's typical. More common with Type 1 but common with Type 2 as well.

Well, I'm holding out hope that I won't be using needles forever.

kidschihuahuas said:
I am available if you need anything. Just let me know.

Thanks.

Toxick

Splat
Update:

Yup, I got the diabetes.

Year later update:

Apparently, I got rid of the diabetes. I have the blood sugar and A1C results of a human in the peak of health. No more insulin. No more pills. No more nothing.

It's like... gone.

Well, they said, it's like cancer, it's never really "cured" - only in remission. And if I should re-gain any amount weight, I need to keep my eye on the blood sugar like a hawk.

Woot! :yay:

I can't wait to get home to toss my remaining insulin and pack my needles away to collect dust.

Year later update:

Apparently, I got rid of the diabetes. I have the blood sugar and A1C results of a human in the peak of health. No more insulin. No more pills. No more nothing.

It's like... gone.

Well, they said, it's like cancer, it's never really "cured" - only in remission. And if I should re-gain any amount weight, I need to keep my eye on the blood sugar like a hawk.

I can't wait to get home to toss my remaining insulin and pack my needles away to collect dust.

Awesome news, Man! :yahoo: :clap: :cartwheel:

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
Year later update:

It's like... gone.

That's great! Congrats! :yahoo:

That's great! Congrats!:yahoo: