DirectTV vs. Dish Network

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Which is better? I'm leaning toward Dish because their base package is cheaper than DirectTV's. I don't need all the sports channels or the premium channels. I'm just looking for the basic cable-style channels plus local channels.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have DIrect TV and love it. I chose it becaus eof the channels within their package.. like Comedy Central, and off the top of my head can't remember the rest, but there were three or four channels that I liked that DISH doesn't have. Have been REALLY happy with it since I picked it up, lose signal every couple of times during a hard rain, but it only lasts a few minutes.. Would say I've lost DirecTV a lot less then cable users did the last year.

SmallTown

Football season!
I had Dish while in Maryland, and went with directv when I moved here because the trees were in the line of sight for dish network. It could have been because the Dish system was older, but the directv system I have seems nicer. Faster going through the menus and offers a few other small things that Dish did not (again, this could be because of older hardware/software).
I find the two pretty comparable price-wise.

The reason I initially went with Dish is because they were the only ones offering the college football package, but directv has that now so I'm happy :biggrin:
I would have to sit down with a new Dish system and play around with it to see if they have made improvements.

I lost the Dish signal a few times, but that was probably do to make crappy install that I did. Had a contractor install Directv here and hasn't gone out once (even during the hurricane)

TripleJ

I'm a direct TV kind of person, it has performed a lot better for me than cable, dish was never in the running.:cheers:

dalopitz

dabailey
LOVE my directv

Our cable was always losing NBC (my favorite channel) so last Christmas I decided to go to satellite. I didn't have any friends who were savvy on satellite TV so I did a lot of checking around. Directv had the primary channels I was looking for (and more of them it seemed) and Circuit City seems to always have the best deals when it comes to directv. Ithink my system ending up costing me $0.00 because they had a couple great rebates going.
I eventually got Ultimate TV and I LOVE IT. The Ultimate TV is like TIVO but 1000 times better. No more tapes or vcrs. And it's so easy to use. Like the others here, I can name on one hand the times I've lost my satellite signal. Go Directv!

jaybyrdsblondie

satellite vs cable

Why not cable? I have 134 expanded basic digital with starz/encore included, pay-per-view access, just about everything dish or DTV has, and HIGH SPEED internet access all on one bill for only $85 per month.

jaybyrdsblondie

I had DTV for 2 yrs and paid over $85 for just 2 tv's basic, starz/encore, and locals. Now I have all 4 of my tv's hooked up and my high speed access for the same price with cable. Plus I get Baltimore networks-great if you like to see more of the Ravens or Orioles. And the only time my cable has gone out in the last year was with the hurricane for less than 24hrs. When I had DTV it would go out with every rain we got. I basically woudn't count on watching too much tv during the spring when it can rain for days in a row!

dalopitz

dabailey
still love my satellite

The only time I have lost my satellite is during Hurricane Isabel! I am amazed that I never lose it due to rain or wind. Location, location?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Dish has it's own DVR, just like TIVO, but costs $5 a month instead of $10. Also has DVR where you can watch one channel and record another, TIVO doesn't. Gets basically the same channels, plus internationals if you want them.

Have only lost dish during BIG downpours (maybe for 10 minutes at a time) and Isabel (15 minutes, but power was out longer).

3 TVs, locals plus STARZ/ENCORE for $75 a month, includes 180 channels.

Direct is the big kid on the block, Dish was the first one. Dish is owned by a Colorado entrepeneur who has a live call in show every other month, Direct is owned by Murdoch.

I think Dish is more customer friendly, call to add channels - done in 5 minutes, problems with the hardware, they walk you through it and help fix it. Cable sux when it comes to customer service.

Dish also has a HDTV setup and broadcasts premium channels in dolby 5.1.

Danzig

Originally posted by jlabsher
Dish has it's own DVR, just like TIVO, but costs $5 a month instead of $10. Also has DVR where you can watch one channel and record another, TIVO doesn't. Gets basically the same channels, plus internationals if you want them.

DirecTivo for Direct TV is "Tivo" but it is only $5 a month no matter how many Tivos you have, I have 2 and pay $5 total for both. With Tivo you CAN watch one channel and record another, you can record two shows while watching one you recorded allready.

jaybyrdsblondie

No redneck's for me! apparently you need to get with the program. Cable offers HDTV receivers with recording up to 36 hrs of programing without any dvd's or video tapes...the major point-high speed access was included in that $85. I'll take that anyday over a few extra channels that I don't watch. I've never had a problem with customer service, myself but that's not to say they don't have any.

Danzig

Originally posted by jaybyrdsblondie
Cable offers HDTV receivers with recording up to 36 hrs of programing without any dvd's or video tapes.

How much is this HDTV receiver?

How many channels of HDTV do the cable companys in Charles, Calvert, and St. Marys offer?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
GMP in St Mary's DOES NOT have HDTV. Comcast may, but if Comcast can afford to spend $60 BILLION for Disney do you think they are overcharging?

The new Consumer reports says that satellite is your best value for the money, has better picture quality and better customer service. Cable rates have risen at 6 times the rate of inflation in the last year. My dish network went up $2 last year and added 10 new channels. For $30 you can get over 60 channels including your locals. I'd love to get Baltimore locals instead of DC locals and see the great McKays commercials, but having WGN for me (spring training starts this week!), 6 cartoon channels for the kids, and fashion, HGTV, DIY, food network & 30 music channels for the wife makes up for the difference.

Danzig

Originally posted by jlabsher
GMP in St Mary's DOES NOT have HDTV.

GMP does have HDTV........kinda, My friend was given a FREE tuner to be a beta tester. I will ask him how many channels are in HDTV. He said the NHL allstar game looked AWSOME. I still think GMP sucks but I will let you know more later as I see it

jaybyrdsblondie

For $30 you can get over 60 channels including your locals. I'd love to get Baltimore locals instead of DC locals and see the great McKays commercials, but having WGN for me (spring training starts this week!), 6 cartoon channels for the kids, and fashion, HGTV, DIY, food network & 30 music channels for the wife makes up for the difference.

-VS-

WOW! for $55 cable gives you 134 channels: balt and wash locals, 9 starz/encore, 8 children networks (including cartoon network, toon disney, noggin, etc...), comedy central, tv land, national geographic, animal planet, outdoor life, ...lets see...hgtv, discovery home & leisure, food network, and more...AND 30 music channels for the hubby.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
WOW, for $35 with Dish you get over 120 channels plus 32 music channels. AND in the 2 years I have had it I have lost service 3 times. In the 3 months I had GMP I lost service 6 times and half the channels didn't come in good. Upgrade to $45 and you get 180 channels. Add $5 for your local channels.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main...&FOLDER<>folder_id=162691&bmUID=1077067087839

Cable Rates continue to rise...satellite’s rates have risen more moderately than cable’s in recent years.

jaybyrdsblondie

I guess I'd have to be a regular couch potato to argue with you. I've had DTV most recent (only because I lived where there was no cable available) and Dish 10 or 12 years ago and I've come back to cable for good. I have only had one day with no cable, during the hurricane (God Bless those who lost their homes,) in the last year. I love the high speed internet access.

To the inquirer: I guess my final suggestion would be to at least try cable first, because they don't charge you for each outlet and they don't hold you to a lenthly contract or cancellation fees. I have yet to see a promotion where Dish or DTV can give me 134 channels, including 9 STARZ/ENCORE (usually considered a premium), digital music, all my locals, AND high speed internet access for only $85. Do you really need much more than that?

When I had DTV I paid more than that for the same viewing package on only 2 TV's (I have 4 now) and had NO HIGH SPEED ACCESS...that I had to pay and extra $20 for lousy dial-up. And when I got my cable and canceled my DTV...I had to pay over $60 to cancel my service. The few other times I have disconnected cable in my past for moving- I never was charged anything and they were very friendly about pro-rating my bill for the days I actually used on my last month.

Good luck with your decision!

jaybyrdsblondie

Not a chance here! In fact I'm adding my big screen HDTV in a matter of days. Man never could handle a woman that makes more money than him.

:biggrin: